It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Die-Offs in Florida Lagoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Terrible news, ATS!

At least 111 manatees, 300 pelicans, and 46 dolphins — emaciated to the point of skin and bones — were all found dead in America’s most biologically diverse estuary.

Something is seriously wrong. The northern stretches of the Indian River Lagoon of Florida has a mass murder mystery that biologists are racing to figure out. The lagoon contains more species than anywhere else in the U.S. It is a barrier island complex stretching across 40 percent of Florida’s coast, around Cape Canaveral, and consisting of the Mosquito Lagoon, the Banana River and the Indian River Lagoon.

The lagoon has always been polluted by nutrients and fertilizers running off lawns and farms, but in recent years it appears to have reached some sort of tipping point, says Marty Baum of the Indian Riverkeeper.

“The lagoon is in a full collapse, it is ongoing,” he said.

Apparently, a large red-tide algae bloom may be to blame, it killed off the manatee's natural food source. The red tide may be linked to fertilizer run-off from farms. In addition to the lagoon, other sections of Florida are also experiencing similar problems, and the red tide appears to be advancing up the coast.

I hate to hear about this....can we not use something to soak up the fertilizer like the oil booms? If someone could invent something to do this, they'd be set for life.

source

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It makes me think about that bible verse....scary stuff.
edit on 19-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
It makes me thing about that bible verse....scary stuff.

Which verse?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Fertiliser run off i presume....it happens in my local small River
every 15-20 years for some reason....
When the water levels drop the natural weeds and fauna go into overdrive taking most of the oxygen out of the water and that's usually followed by rising Green/ Blue Algae Blooms in the Loch that the River runs into....Result...upside down fishes..

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I lived right there for 8 years, no mystery about it, it's pollution.

Or maybe too many bales of drugs were not found by those "Dark Boats", and they dissolved and killed the wildlife there from them getting too stoned and swimming into pier posts and stuff.

Really, it's horrendously polluted there, it is disgustingly polluted, and getting worse all the time.

True Green Chem-lawn and other stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The bowls of gods wrath i think

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Humans are sure taking care of this planet aren't they!!

At this rate, our great grand children will not be able to have drinkable water, green forests, abundant animal life.

We are destroying ourselves and not many people seem to care. But wait untill the latest iphone or other gadget is released.....people will throw themselves at the apple store to get it like kids in Africa would on a loaf of bread.

It's sad really.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Isn't one of the only places manatees live

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Oddly enough, my father in law did recently invent just such a thing. He owns V-Clear Resources www.vclearresources.com

They have a product that they are getting a lot of attention on in the farm sector for cleaning up phosphates and nutrients in ponds and lakes and are able to take the pellets back out and re-fertilize the surrounding area. He also lives in FL and I will shoot that article to him though I am sure he has already heard about it;

He is in Atlanta a lot and meets with quite a few senators and such for federal funding on the project.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Oh well we got Obama telling he got proof Syria used poisonous gass on his people and the rebels should be armed.
But serious, this never gets any political attention, kinda weird?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Oddly enough, my father in law did recently invent just such a thing. He owns V-Clear Resources www.vclearresources.com

They have a product that they are getting a lot of attention on in the farm sector for cleaning up phosphates and nutrients in ponds and lakes and are able to take the pellets back out and re-fertilize the surrounding area. He also lives in FL and I will shoot that article to him though I am sure he has already heard about it;

He is in Atlanta a lot and meets with quite a few senators and such for federal funding on the project.

That's great! I hope he can get his product out there and start helping the situation. Best of luck to him,

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I sent him a link to the article yesterday. My thought is that would be a great contract for him. Will update if I hear anything back on it.

new topics

top topics

join