It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police powers finally kettled by High Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Police powers finally kettled by High Court

netpol.org

For years it has been common practice for protesters held in a kettle (police containment) to be forced to submit to police filming and/or provide their details as a condition of leaving. There have been countless incidents in which protesters who have tried (lawfully) to refuse these demands have been threatened with arrest, or told they could not leave the kettle.

This should now change, as the High Court has today ruled that the police have no powers to force people to give their details, or comply with police filming and photography, simply because they are held in a kettle.
Lord Justi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Just thought this worth putting out there and sharing the info!!

Does this mean the government/corporation will have to try harder to create a problem to demonise protests,, hopefully, but surely it will also mean more people switched on to their manipulation and agenda!!??

In the mean time I'm sure it will come in useful to some people taking a peaceful stand against terrorists and other corrupt/oppressive corporations!... In the UK atleast anyways....

It's all about consent!!... Power to the people!

netpol.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19/6/13 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/6/13 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

This does nothing to elude the fact that KETTLING should be made illegal.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
By disallowing any coercion to co operate with the police, it sort of defacto does make te idea of kettling illegal....and is a good step in that direction.
Too bad the police will do what they do regardless of what the courts say.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I was in the slammer for some minor crap a few years back, before they would release me, they had me sign a non-disclosure agreement in which I agreed to not discuss anything I saw there, experienced there, heard there, with anyone at all ,ever.

They got annoyed that I insisted on reading it, and even more annoyed that I asked them, "You people are actually telling me I won't get out of here until I sign this?", they replied, that's the way it is.

Tis a scary world we live in, and it's mostly our fault because we accept it by not reading the # we have to sign, and just sign it to be on our way.

Contract law, you agree to some schmoe's new law he wrote off the top of his head every day without realizing it.

You can write your own laws too.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

The cops do only what the courts allow them to do, the courts are the problem.

You don't really think they are there to protect you, do you?.

The courts are there to make sure you stay on your side of the fence, the fence is law, written by people who have the money to hire lawyers to write those laws.

How naïve most American's are is just astounding.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
How naïve most American's are is just astounding.

Not just Americans, people all across the world are like it.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

There is an easy, albeit for some people possibly not entirely practical way around this. Just don't carry ID around. You are not obliged to Identify yourself unless you have committed a crime. If you haven't committed a crime, then you do not have to identify yourself to anyone regardless if they "request" you to. Do not carry bank cards, driving licenses or other identifying documents also. Problem solved.

Should a Peace Officer wish to contract your services, carry a standard contract stating that your charges are 3000 currency units per hour.

The right to silence is universal also. There is no law that states you must answer any question posed by a Peace Officer.

Have a great day!

ETA And failing all that, you will be inconvenienced for a few hours while they try and discover who you are. Civil disobedience can be a good thing....
edit on 19/6/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
By disallowing any coercion to co operate with the police, it sort of defacto does make te idea of kettling illegal....and is a good step in that direction.
Too bad the police will do what they do regardless of what the courts say.

It's more likely the cops will just try to cause some violence, either by having the uniformed cops push the protesters around or by having cops in their civil clothes stir something up.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Wow ...no more kettle ?
thought you Brits loved your tea...

actually interesting choice of term for tactic
in the country its used ...

ironic metaphor
to say the least

join