It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook: 10,000 NSA Requests in Just Six Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Ted Ullyot, Facebook's general counsel, said in a statement that they had between 9,000 and 10,000 requests from all government entities, from local to federal, in the last six months of 2012.

The orders involved the accounts of between 18,000 and 19,000 Facebook users on a broad range of surveillance topics, from missing children to terrorism.
www.dailymail.co.uk...# ixzz2WSFP58xn

~9,500 requests for user data? And they weren't even all for National Security reasons? And how exactly can there be only ~9,500 requests for ~18,500 FB accounts? Those number don't even make sense.

Microsoft said they had between 6,000 and 7,000 orders, affecting between 31,000 and 32,000 accounts, but downplayed how much they had revealed.

Wait, those numbers make even less sense! How can ~31,500 accounts be affected by ~6,500 requests?!

Not only does the spying not make sense, the numbers about the spying don't make sense either!

edit on 17-6-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

Regardless, it seems the NSA is scooping up info on a LOT of people. The Internet has been compromised. Online privacy does not exist.

Ok trying to think about this from another angle...

So these were all "requests" for data. Does that mean these numbers are just for data the NSA asked nicely for? Were all of these "requests" accompanied with warrants or subpoenas? And if so, DAMN! Just how many people are they tracking? Are we to believe that there are this many threats out there?

And I'm guessing this doesn't include all the freely available public data out there that they've been scooping up or the supposed "backdoor access".

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

I dont know the reason here but a few thoughts

How can ~31,500 accounts be affected by ~6,500 requests?

I have multiple Hotmail accounts.. so maybe that could account?

Maybe when they ask for information from my Hotmail account, it automatically displays information about other Hotmail accounts that have emailed me, or i have emailed.

Personally, I think everyone's getting their panties in a bunch over bs.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Ack i'm sure the nice government will come along any minute and shut them down, bloody makes my stomach churn hateful lot

Thanks for the up date Helio i'm away of to be sick and delete my fb account

Iv'e nothing else to add because there's no point the governments will do as they please and rats arse to all of us lot grrrrrrrrrrrrr

wee s/f anyway

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Even if you are one person with 10 accounts, the numbers still say they made X number of requests on Y number of "accounts".

Non Sequitur!

Oh wait, maybe each request asked for data on multiple accounts. That's probably it...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

so, why use me? im sure some nutjob has 100 accounts. especially if he's trying to circumvent the law.
also take my second example..

just because you cant think of the reasons doesnt mean they dont exist

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

In a way that's a good thing.

It shows you that they wont bow down to them.

But it still is scary. Makes you think what if??? What if they are watching YOU? What are you DOING? No privacy anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Personally, I think everyone's getting their panties in a bunch over bs.

Seriously?

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

so, why use me? im sure some nutjob has 100 accounts.

I wasn't using you as an example, I was just being general.

just because you cant think of the reasons doesnt mean they dont exist

Well, that seems to be a given... Sort of a pointless statement really.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Yeah seriously.

We all knew this kinda of thing was going on and your naive if you wernt.

Like I said in another thread.

It only concerns me if one group is collecting information on me, for a purpose. Then I'd be concerned.
But if multiple multiple agencies are gathering info on 10's of millions of people daily, then I couldn't give 2 rats ass's. Because learning my name would be pointless and a waste of time. If your one of the idiots spreading hate, terrorism, making threats or downloading bomb materials then you should be concerned.

If you dont like it, turn your mobile off, cancel your bank accounts, disconnect your internet, turn off your smart tv, cancel facebook, email etc etc.. because todays world is built around technology and it will NEVER EVER EVER be anonymous.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Number of NSA requests to Facebook in 6 months: 10,000.

Number of Facebook users: ~900,000,000.

Number of Facebook users unaffected by NSA requests: 899,981,000.

Just a little perspective there...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

tut give me a break it's the 10,000 we're worried about as it should read 0

Number of Facebook users that shouldn't be on any NSA list:~ 0

Number of Facebook users unaffected by NSA requests because they shouldn't be nosy:- 0

Just a little perspective of how it should read

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop
Oh this argument again... "If you aren't doing anything wrong, what's the problem?"

Of course there's a problem. Forget the legal issues and the 4th ammendment (like so many others have) and consider this:

Would you be alright with Federal Agents coming into your house, without your knowledge, and looking at all your stuff, planting bugs and listening devices, and checking that there is no illegal activity or anything else that could be "considered" suspicious?

Would that make you feel any safer?

What if that ability to come into your house could be abused? What if they didnt like your political views? Do you really trust them with this access?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

number of U.S. citizens~ 316,070,978

number of U.S. citizens killed by terrorism since 9/11~ 19

number of U.S. citizens unaffected by terrorism 316,070,959

just a little prospective there....
edit on 17-6-2013 by Privateinquotations because: forgot commas on bottom number

new topics

top topics

join