It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would The Authorities Do With A Lost Child Of Unknown Origin Who Is Greatly Attached To You?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The scenario:

So, you've arrived at the public library just right after it's opened for the day. You settle down and begin using your laptop, minding your own business and doing your work. Fifteen minutes later, a child of 10 years approaches you and asks you to read to him (giving you a book in the process). You're momentarily surprised before saying "Oh, what the hell - why not?" You read to him for about 15 minutes, before wondering where his parents are. But in that fifteen minutes, he's grown so attached to you that he doesn't want to leave you/want you to leave him. He also starts calling you "Dad". You ask him his name - he says "Angus". You realise that that's the name from a book character. You ask him for his real name - he says "I don't know" repeatedly. You ask him where his parents are/who they are, he says "He doesn't know". Whenever you ask him these types of questions, he always looks sad and confused and looks like he genuinely doesn't know.

So, you alert the library authorities who then of course promptly call the cops/social services. Except the child doesn't want to leave you - and when they try to take him, he bursts out crying and throws an almighty tantrum and says that you're his dad. The cops try to search databases and alert the public, but he's not on any database and nobody has reported a missing child in the area.

So what happens? Police think he's probably a non-citizen (illegal) and that's why his records don't show. He is also showing great attachment to you and cries vehemently and is unresponsive if you try to go away. What do social services do? Do they allow him to stay with you or what - especially as he is clearly outrageously attached to you and calls you his "dad"?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

A 10 year old kid acting in that manner obviously has psychological/emotional problems and is in need of treatment. The system may not be perfect, but there are people in place to help kids like that.

It is not an accident that I don't have children. While I may have taken the time to read a book to the kid, becoming his care giver is an entirely different ballgame.

I would let the authorities handle the situation.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

A 10 year old kid acting in that manner obviously has psychological/emotional problems and is in need of treatment. The system may not be perfect, but there are people in place to help kids like that.

It is not an accident that I don't have children. While I may have taken the time to read a book to the kid, becoming his care giver is an entirely different ballgame.

I would let the authorities handle the situation.

But what if I wouldn't mind "being his dad"? Would the authorities be okay with that? Or would they put him in care, even though he'll kick up a tantrum forever because he's not with me?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

They would call Child Protective Services to come get the kid until the situation could be sorted out. You could apply to be the child's foster parent until they discern the child's true identity and parentage, but you would have to go through the entire process to be certified as a suitable foster parent which would usually take months and would include background checks, reference checks, unannounced home visits and inspections to certify your accommodations as suitable for a child, personal reference checks, etc. Chances are you would never see the child again and if you aren't a blood relative they do not have to give you any information concerning the child what so ever.

top topics

join