It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea now wants to talk to U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
After months of threatening war, North Korea now wants to talk to U.S.

PYONGYANG, North Korea — After months of threatening to wage a nuclear war, North Korea did an about-face Sunday and issued a surprise proposal to the United States, its No. 1 enemy: Let’s talk.

But the invitation from North Korea’s National Defense Commission, the powerful governing body led by leader Kim Jong Un, comes with caveats: No preconditions and no demands that Pyongyang give up its prized nuclear assets unless Washington is willing to do the same – ground rules that make it hard for the Americans to accept.

Washington responded by saying that it is open to talks – but only if North Korea shows it will comply with U.N. Security Council resolutions and live up to its international obligations.

“As we have made clear, our desire is to have credible negotiations with the North Koreans, but those talks must involve North Korea living up to its obligations to the world, including compliance with U.N. Security Council resolutions, and ultimately result in denuclearization,” U.S. National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement. “We will judge North Korea by its actions, and not its words and look forward to seeing steps that show North Korea is ready to abide by its commitments and obligations.”

Now honestly, how many here who have seen this situation play out dozens of times over the past few decades didn't see this one coming?

Same old story, Wash rinse repeat. I wonder how much this will cost the US and it's regional Allies this time?

I ask, When will Russia [Formerly the Soviet Union] and China both man up and deal with their Nuclear Armed Old Cold War left over? And can we really take these guys seriously at the negotiating table?

I suppose time will tell if Jr will come up with something new.

I doubt it.
edit on 16-6-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think it's interesting to see that North Korea has made a 180 degree turn in attitude toward not only the United States, but South Korea as well regarding talks vs. bellicose rhetoric. This all started as a new trend immediately following Obama's recent meeting with the Chinese leader in California. There, they issued a joint public statement agreeing fully, and not just "in principle" or some weak language, to peace and non-aggression on the Korean Peninsula.

I'm wondering if Kim either figured out himself that the world had just become a fair bit more lonely for him on his previous path or if someone in China had to make a call and explain that. Either way, I think China's decision to stop playing fortune cookie about their policies on this and come right out with a clear statement had immediate results.
Great News, all around.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I ask, When will Russia [Formerly the Soviet Union] and China both man up and deal with their Nuclear Armed Old Cold War left over?

Well, suffice to say China likes rounding up North Koreans when they escape, and sending them back....

Unless you can pay the bribes.

Yeah, you're right. These guys have nothing new at the big table. They want this to continue. Just as long as America and its Allies continue to play the game Russia and China started.

S&F

edit on 16-6-2013 by sonnny1 because: typo's

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
They must really be short of cash that's is all North Korea does, cry, act up, and blackmail for cash.

Meanwhile they will still build up their military, and their nuclear arsenal.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Nothing will change if we give in to concessions to L'il Kim (seen below in an AP stock photo)

So I would say not to even humour him. Don't give them anything. Or else we'll see the same ol sabre rattling next year.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

So I would say not to even humour him. Don't give them anything. Or else we'll see the same ol sabre rattling next year.

Agree.

No need to play this game. We already know the outcome....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I think Oblama should just have Rodman head up the talks
As Rodman is such a worldly and intelligent guy *cough* and since
Lil kim is a bud,. they could do each other a "Solid" and make the outcome
favorable for all

I love the picture of Lil Kim and entourage,.He always has the perfect shot of importance

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Okay, what do they want now? Everytime we talk with them it always involves an aide package. They get the aide, soldiers get fed, and North Korea goes on its merry way. We ought just ignore them. After the stunts they have pulled in the past why would any nation want to have formal relations with them?

Just ignore that snot-nosed brat, and hope he gets deposed in a coup. He has got all those old and crusty generals surrounding him day in and day out. They are bound to grow tired of following orders from Little Lord Fauntleroy, Kim Jong Un. He is probably starting to feel the squeeze from disgruntled employees within his own government? As I see this, it looks like an act of desperation. Not too long ago he was talking about annihilating the US and South Korea, and now a change of heart? BS!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is positive.... and it should involve all the free and not so free World.

We dont need nuclear War...We dont need the USA beating its War chest and meddling in other nations affairs.

We need American people to stand up and say No More Wars, Deaths, Incursions, Illegal acts, spying, drone killings etc etc,or anything else in American greed interests.

This is an opportunity to ignite the "reunite the Korea's" topic, and show that America is in a new era of cooperation and peace........Yes, The World will help feed North Korea, If you NKs back away from aggression and start unification and cooperation talks with SK and join the Real World, not a fantasy one..

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Doubt that China will stand up. I think they get a kick out of watching the US get frustrated on dealing with N. Korea. By next week the threats will begin again.

Peace

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Like that relative who only calls when they need something.
Maybe Korea is looking for some kind of chance, Jr probably took a step back and decided that his people are more important than what daddy has been doing for his military.
Its time to feed the people, their is soooo much potential in NK that could lead to a greater nation if the two unite. If and when one day NK decides to change its policy and open its borders, I would love to see the society and what they have to offer to the world in products. SK and its technological rise and its brains along with NK and its military, that's a potent combination....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree with Beezzer. If we give him something he'll just keep doing what hes doing and he keeps getting aid that he doesn't deserve. Don't give him anything period.

Go home Kim, you're drunk.

-SAP-
edit on 16-6-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nothing will be accomplished. It's wishful thinking. The only way North Korea will change their ways is if the people of North Korea rise-up and say enough is enough. I agree that Russia and China need to stop catering to North Korea and let it implode upon itself. Only then will we see military defections and the North Korean people rise-up to over throw this oppressive leadership.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

S&F to you but as the saying goes to good to be true , for the US wants Un er DPRK to give up nukes before talks www3.nhk.or.jp... from the link

US: N.Korea must fulfill obligations before talks

The Chief of Staff to US President Barack Obama has said that North Korea must take actions that show its sincerity on denuclearization before any direct talks can be held between the two nations.

North Korea's state-run media quoted the country's National Defense Commission which on Sunday proposed high-level talks with the United States.

In response, White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough said in a US CBS television program on Sunday that before any such talks the North should live up to its obligations, including giving up its nuclear weapons program and abiding by non-proliferation principles.

He said the US will consider North Korea's future actions before reaching a decision on the talks.

McDonough said the North Korean government will no longer be able to talk its way out of the very significant sanctions, which are supported by Russia and more importantly, China.

The United States apparently underlined its position that North Korea should concede that its denuclearization should precede any future dialogue.

Jun. 16, 2013 - Updated 23:57 UTC
we all know what Un will say to this... if he does not have a mouth full. lunch.... lunch!!!!!

edit on 17-6-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Of course they want to talk.

We are getting ready to arm organ harvesting headhunters in Syria who have the ability to leave the border freely.

They shoot people for leaving in North Korea.

North Korea has a friend in evil.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I bet there is a comic book that he needs to go to America to pick up and that is a game changer..... We are talking about some of the most crazy MOs on the planet here, so it is not surprising to anyone what they do. It is too bad that 40 million needs to starve in the process.

After spending years in both Iraq and Afghanistan I can tell you that both were a waste of time, money and most importantly lives on ALL sides, but I would not hesitate to remove the political power in NK to reunite the two countries once and for all.

edit on 17-6-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What exactly are the reasons for Russia and China to support NK? Is it just to irritate the US and waste a ton of our resources? Is there any other benefit?

I tend to not pay NK much attention because as SLAYER has stated this cycle repeats all the time. Bluster, silence, offers of peace, reap rewards and repeat.

I'm also curious if there are any studies/threads that would give a breakdown of what would happen if war did actually break out between the North and South. I'd appreciate a link or quick rundown. I would think that the North would be able to do some heavy initial damage if it were a complete surprise, but they would be quashed rather quickly. SOrry I guess that's off topic.

ETA God to see you back SLAYER. Seems like it's been along time. Hope things are well.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
What exactly are the reasons for Russia and China to support NK? Is it just to irritate the US and waste a ton of our resources? Is there any other benefit?

I tend to not pay NK much attention because as SLAYER has stated this cycle repeats all the time. Bluster, silence, offers of peace, reap rewards and repeat.

I'm also curious if there are any studies/threads that would give a breakdown of what would happen if war did actually break out between the North and South. I'd appreciate a link or quick rundown. I would think that the North would be able to do some heavy initial damage if it were a complete surprise, but they would be quashed rather quickly. SOrry I guess that's off topic.

ETA God to see you back SLAYER. Seems like it's been along time. Hope things are well.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

You know this reminds me of a line from a U2 song.

"Throw a rock in the air you will hit someone guilty."

Depleted uranium in Iraq. Supporting organ harvesting rebels in Syria. Jailing 18 year olds for dating 14 year olds while encouraging cults to manipulate 14 year olds into marriage with 38 year old false prophets.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

I'm not following.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Miracula

I'm not following.

Be careful that's a one line response. You lose ATS points. Oh noes!!!

2nd.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join