It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of jellyfish reveals sickness of world's oceans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Aren't these creatures just beautiful!! I sure think so, but....I had no idea that they could be bad for our world's oceans.

Expert fears jellyfish could take over oceans

Gershwin said she fears that the biodiversity of the world's water will eventually resemble that of the Precambrian era, when oceans were ruled by jellyfish and mammals and reptiles did not exist.

link to article

According to this article, Jellyfish thrive when something is out of balance in the oceans,

Overfishing, rising water temperatures and ocean acidification create ideal environments for these sea creatures to thrive and multiply,

And it has been noticed happenning and their population is increasing to a point where eventually they could dominate our oceans like it did in the Black Sea in the early 80's. Sadly, I dont think there is a whole lot that can be done to stop this, but what do I know?!

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
we can net these jelly fish

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Probably a stupid question, but are they edible?

I could be 'Leon the jellyfish slayer' whilst saving humanity. I know its short notice but I could have my suit ready in 5 mins, weapons, everything. I'd just need some kind of submersible device to help me catch them. I wont posts too much for now, they might be reading.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Probably a stupid question, but are they edible?

I could be 'Leon the jellyfish slayer' whilst saving humanity. I know its short notice but I could have my suit ready in 5 mins, weapons, everything. I'd just need some kind of submersible device to help me catch them. I wont posts too much for now, they might be reading.

Good question...actually I don't know if this applies to all jellyfish but yes some are edible

see here

Americans may not eat jellyfish, but the rest of the world does, several hundred metric tons a year at around $15 a pound. It’s a many million-dollar business.

it could easily grow to a billion dollar business

Oh and solve part of the world's famine!!!

edit on 10-6-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I have no idea why but Jelly fish intrigue me, Anyway on this story there is no real scientific fact to base this upon according to scientists, There has always been a rise and fall since the 19th century

www.livescience.com...

Scientists need at least 10 more years of jellyfish records to reach any solid conclusions about the worldwide trajectory of jellyfish populations, Condon said, adding that more data from the Southern Hemisphere and the open ocean are also needed.

www.treehugger.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Now all we need are those geniuses to come in to the thread and explain to us how this is no big deal really and humans aren't a cancer and there is plenty of room for us to spread and continue doing our thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks for the links Asala, much apreciated!

After reading those, I see what you mean. but although it may not necessarily mean that things will go in the same direction as the article in my OP states, it is still a possibility nonetheless. If I understood this right it could take a decade more of research to determine the long term population growth forecast of jellyfish.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope it's wrong though, I have seen jellyfish washed up on beaches in P.E.I. and I would not be in any hurry to taste them....

But then again, if all else fails, food is food right? but still....

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
we can net these jelly fish

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Maybe the Jellyfish are trying to help filter the water? Aren't the jellyfish just mostly water? What happens to the toxins when a Jellyfish dies though?

new topics

top topics

join