It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone identify this spider?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
That is called the "Run-and-scream-like-a-little-girl" spider.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I told them not to kill it and hope that it wasn't. We don't kill Rain Spiders, just take that chance it won't get into bed with us

But, if we find Sac Spiders or Violins, bye bye. The Widows tend to stay outside and we hardly see them. Unfortunately, if one should be found inside and I am not here she will meet a newspaper from the wife. As for Sacs and Violins i do not let them roam our homes cause they are aggressive and won't think twice to bite. The violin ain't as aggressive as the Sac, but extremely poisonous. In S.Africa we have learned the big ones are harmful, though they can pack a punch, it is the smaller ones we stress about.

The Rain Spider is extremely placid and would sit for hours in one spot. Everyone still jumps when they see this large spider, but they are seriously cool spiders. They come, visit for a few hours and then they leave. And I know if a violin crosses its path, it will do the killing for me.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Let me examine it with a flame thrower and I can give you a better estimate.

No effing way that critter and me are in the same house together. Sorry my arachnoidial friend but one of us has to go....and it ain't me.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
awwwwwww, i hate spiders!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant look, that thing is so freakin big and ugly.

That thing looks like its big enough to latch on to your face like the movie Alien.
edit on 29-5-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I hate spiders too. Why did we look?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yeah, it reminds me of a garden spider too.
Look for the zig-zig pattern on the web...Which is a warning for birds not to fly through it...

Like Char-lee said, there are quite a number of body and leg patterns...
Some of them will do push-ups on their web to make sure you know they are in-da-house, and to leave them alone.
One of my favorite spiders!

www.sharonfoc.org...
edit on 29-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

I didn't see anything that could show the size of your spider. One thing i always do is look up spiders for my area really helps to find the type.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Why do I keep clicking these threads. I hate spiders
...gotta go shower and scrub off the crawly-skin feeling with a steel wool pad now.

edit on 29-5-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

The spider, according to my friends, were about 80mm (3 inches) with legspan.

Here's the one that's a frequent visitor at my place. I would never kill it. truly a placid spider, and cause it goes against my belief in killing spiders. But, my belief stops at Sacs and Violins

Another one taken at my friend's place

Now these big ones are not dangerous at all. They leave you alone. I have had a few "arguments" with arachnid lovers who gets angry when i say i do kill Sac Spiders and Violin (Recluse) spiders.

I have not come across a Sac who would let me pick it up without going in defense and attack mode. And they are super quick. The Violin i would not even try to pick up, because they are simply bad news.

I could put my hand right next to a Huntsman and they won't move.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm with you, I kill Recluse spiders on sight also. Too dangerous not to. (for us, and for the animals).

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Your friend seems to have a very spider happy place!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
After a face to face run-in with a hobo ( en.wikipedia.org... ) , I must admit I feel a certain sphincter pucker when I see a picture like that (beautiful as it is).

Eep, time to go scour every corner of the house and make sure I dont have any visitors....

edit on 30-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Same here,

maybe a badge huntsman as it has similar colours and strips along its joints

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

We do live in a "spider happy" place
We are lucky enough to live in a nature reserve in Johannesburg. We have lots of the wildlife here except for the big 5 or dangerous animals. Other than that we have different bucks, zebras, few giraffes etc.

It is really amazing to drive down a main road and you see zebras or the like. Of course they are behind fences but are totally visible from the main road.

Few years ago, even today, some people believed that lions were roaming our streets. We still have to drive a few hours to get to the real wild. Johannesburg is a major metropolitan area, so no wild animals running in the streets.

Over the last few years the nature reserve we live in fenced up and started bringing some of our wildlife smack in the middle. Still no big cats, elephants, buffalo or rhinos will be brought here.

This helps with the flora which gives us a lot more spiders than the average home in Johannesburg. But, trust me - the dangerous spiders will be found in any house in Johannesburg, nature reserve or not.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: Spelling

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Double post. My apologies.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Screw trying to identify this spider just get a paper towel, squish it and flush it down the toilet...then it will be easier to identify...It will simply be called a dead spider...lol...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

NICE except living on the North end of CA coast we never get hot and if it gets in the 70's we feel we are frying!
So that changes things, I didn't even look where you are from! the spiders there must be very different then we are used to!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I don't know what that spider is but YUCK!
That looks like the spiders I used to dream about that were blocking me from getting to books in my sleep!

Only those were around 6 feet tall.

s&f for making me cringe at a spider,
which I don't normally do!

Wow, forget the YUCK!
We need a change of letter in that word baby....6 feet spiders sure merit that !!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

UK!!

Yeah no kidding!
ranks a

Yep! yep!

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

After extensive delving into the missing spiders database, your spider has been identified as " Boris "

top topics

<< 1   >>

join