It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Son Just Realized Chicken Comes From....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oh, ATS. This was too funny not to share.

I am at school today, cleaning out the room and working on school related stuff. My son (he's 6) came with me, so when lunch time rolled around we headed to a local home-style restaurant. My son ordered the chicken platter, which comes with three chicken strips, corn, green beans, and a piece of bread. We sat down and began to eat our meal.

My son is at that stage where he asks questions about everything. Today's questions have all focused on "What is that made of?" We've discussed buildings, cars, trees, signs, banks, paper, you name it. But he's not content with just saying "That's made of metal," he wants details. Lots and lots of details.

So we're eating lunch in the crowded restaurant when I notice a look of suspicion cross my son's face. He put down his chicken strip, took a sip of water, and slowly asked me, "Where did this chicken come from?"

Now, ATS, we've had this talk many times with my son. He loves ham and knows it comes from pigs. He knows cows give milk and are made into hamburger. He knows chicken comes from chickens...but this must have been the first time he really made the connection...that the chicken strip in his hand once was a real, live chicken.

I explained this as quietly as possible. My son, however, wanted more details. He proceeded to ask, quite loudly, "You mean they take a chicken and kill it and take the blood out and put a hole in it and take the chicken out and THAT's what I'm EATING?"

By now everyone in the immediate vicinity is looking our way, my son is staring in horror at his plate, and I'm squirming in my seat. I leaned and over and whispered that yes, chicken strips come from real chickens and to please lower his voice.

He looked at me, looked back at the plate, and then replied, "Right. I'm not hungry anymore."

Apparently several people lost their appetites, as we weren't the only ones who decided to leave at that particular moment.

Ahhh....children.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

OH WOW!! That's embarrassing haha

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Ahhhhh, the joys of parenthood huh?

Great story Smiley, i always love it when you share some of the experiences that you have with your son.

The things kids say... i can't recall who told me this as it goes back quite a while ago, but apparently a 6 year old was at his grans house and asked the following to her "Granny, can you put your other head on please so that i can see what it looks like?"

To which the granny replied "and why is that my poppet?"

To which the 6 year old came back with "well mummy says you are a two faced bi*** so i just wanted to see the difference!"

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 29-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

edit on 29-5-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Wait til you tell him about Lamb...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

C'mon, you should have told him the REAL truth; those chicken nuggets come from pink slime filled with ammonia and covered with breading to make them just a little bit less disgusting.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Looks as tho you have a vegetarian on your hands now.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Wait til you tell him about Lamb...

We don't eat lamb. Thank God.

And after this meal, we may be going vegetarian....

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

That's awesome! I have 3 sons between 1 and 9 years old. I can see all the phases of questioning at the same time. It can be difficult to adjust to the different perceptions as a parent...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So he just came back into the room, put his hands on his hips, and demanded to know about hot dogs.

I'm crying so hard with laughter, I don't think he believes that hot dogs come from pigs.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You should have seen my kids when they were little the first time they saw a headless chicken flapping around they yard and I explained to them that it was what we were having for dinner. The looks on their faces were priceless!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Kids
Gotta love 'em

I was thinking long and hard about how to say to the wife some thing subtle like
My goodness my love can you still squeeze into that dress
*Ducks*
We flew to South Africa before I could say anything and leave my more tender areas intact.

As soon as we arrived at my brother in laws house, out ran his son, all blonde hair and smiles he was 5 at the time.

His first words ?

You're pregnant that's wonderful. I get another cousin to play with.

I laughed so hard it worth THE look

Cody

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I remember staying with my great grandmother, who raised chickens. She went outside, grabbed a chicken, lobbed its head off...all while I stood and watched, horrified. I think I was five or six at the time. Then she cooked it for dinner.

I didn't eat chicken for quite a while after that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
So he just came back into the room, put his hands on his hips, and demanded to know about hot dogs.

I'm crying so hard with laughter, I don't think he believes that hot dogs come from pigs.

Smylee

We are crying with laughter here

Get out of that one

Mrs C (Cody's too busy laughing to post) I can't remember the last time all he could do was point at the screen.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

That's one of the best things about teaching young kids. They are so honest, and when they mix things up its hilarious.

I was teaching first grade several years ago and two of my boys got into an argument. I don't know what they were arguing over, but the fuss ended when one boy told the other,

"You're lying. And Jesus is going to come down from heaven and KILL you!"

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You and your family are quickly becoming some of my favorite people.

Just sayin'.

Hilarious, I would have loved that.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Too funny! I just had to smile.

Hot dogs don't come from dogs? Lol.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Poor kid. Curiosity can be it's own curse sometimes, eh?

Just be thankful you had chicken strips that at least contain the texture and meat of Chicken to show it really IS chicken. Imagine the chat if you'd had a plate of chicken nuggets? Umm... How do you tell a child that a topic will be discussed later...outside meal time? lol....

Nice way of handling it though!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't want to get too graphic, but my 4-year-old asked me last week if there is a bone in his (don't think I need to spell this one out)...

I instantly remembered that I wondered the same thing around that age.

Kids are like time-machines to a parent.
edit on 29-5-2013 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

lol. My girls, 3 & 4, love carnita aka meat and pollitos aka chicken.

They've yet to put 1 & 1 together.
Should be interesting to see how that one plays out.
Just remind him we are omnivores and eat everything edible.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I found a couple of crackers here about what some children come out with

Here is an example from the link below :

My 4-year-old son felt the need to warn "old" people they will die ... he told a lady in the grocery, "Old people die ... and you don’t look so good" -- Edna

thestir.cafemom.com...

Enjoy

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join