It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts to Admit Openly Gay Youths

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
From The New York Times

GRAPEVINE, Tex. — The Boy Scouts of America on Thursday ended its longstanding policy of forbidding openly gay youths to participate in its activities, a step its chief executive called “compassionate, caring and kind.”

Two of the top leaders of the Boy Scouts who campaigned to end its longstanding policy of forbidding openly gay youths, Tico Perez, right, and Wayne Perry discussed the decision in Grapevine, Tex., on Thursday.

The decision, which came after years of resistance and wrenching internal debate, was widely seen as a milestone for the Boy Scouts, a symbol of traditional America. More than 1,400 volunteer leaders from across the country voted, with more than 60 percent approving a measure that said no youth may be denied membership “on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.

IMO, this is good news and long overdue. I'm sure there will be a backlash from the conservative groups, and that is understandable. My guess is those who disagree might form their own version of Boy Scouts which does not allow homosexuals to join. That is their right, of course.

Not much more to add, except I see this is a big step forward.
edit on 26-5-2013 by smyleegrl because: Fixed stupid autocorrect

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I was happy to hear this the other day. And there are rumors of supporters pulling out and parents pulling their kids out. Can you imagine punishing your child like that for political reasons???

I think it's important for people who support getting rid of this ban to contact the Boy Scouts and let them know.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
By the time sexual urges really develop, most boys are out of scouting. Or perhaps they get out because sex takes on a more important role/time than scouting does.

So long as they do not allow homosexual scout masters, shouldn't be a problem.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
By the time sexual urges really develop, most boys are out of scouting. Or perhaps they get out because sex takes on a more important role/time than scouting does.

May I ask why a homosexual scout master would be a problem? Just because someone is homosexual does not mean they are a pedophile or a sexual predator.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I don't think the point has ever been to say it's not safe or 'proper' to have openly gay scouts or scoutmasters. It's been about the BSA declaring that openly practiced as being against their values as an organization. Now without logic or good explanation I've seen put forward, they reversed themselves in WHAT HAD BEEN A major principle fight in just recent years. I think it taught the kids that principle stands are important until money becomes more so....then ditch principle for the cash. The boycott worked.

Of course, now that isn't enough and the gay groups have said that simply allowing openly gay scouts is never sufficient. Apparently, the boycotts and pressure remain until they 100% capitulate and admit defeat...given the level of fight they had put up. They give in to everything...or be destroyed. The gay community preach tolerance but practice selective intimidation by any means necessary to reach their end on any given target. It's not got ANYTHING to do with gay people....but the scumbag way they advance their cause. Any means to the end.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Most pedophiles live their lives as heterosexuals, i.e., many of them are married with children of their own. All they would need to do is follow the same screening criteria for homosexual scout masters as they do for heterosexual scout masters.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Most pedophiles live their lives as heterosexuals, i.e., many of them are married with children of their own. All they would need to do is follow the same screening criteria for homosexual scout masters as they do for heterosexual scout masters.

Most people are not homosexuals. Allowing homosexual scoutmasters would be tantamount to allowing heterosexual 15 yo males to be scout masters for 12 year-old girl-scouts. It would be idiocy. If it happens, scouting is doomed.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A friend of my mothers made a point about this I think was somewhat relevant. She has a 12 yr old son which is active in the scouts as well a a couple of his friends. She has no intention of pulling him out due to this decision but did point out that she would not approve of him going and camping with girls (which he is attracted to). So how is that different for a parent of a 12 yr old boy attracted to other boys going and camping with them? Does that not cause to honest concerns for other parents?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

I have to admit, you bring a valid point to the table. Far more valid than pedophiles or predators.

I do want to point out, it isn't unheard of for both boys and girls to experiment with our own bodies as well as same sex or siblings at an early age. In my thinking, it tends to be from 5 years old on to prepubescent years.

I do think conversations of a sexual nature are appropriate between parent/child when questions of their own genitals or frank questions as "What's Gay?" are asked. Please remember, as parents our attitudes are passed on. Attitude is everything. From Pride to Predjudice.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

Allowing homosexual scoutmasters would be tantamount to allowing heterosexual 15 yo males to be scout masters for 12 year-old girl-scouts.

You have to be 18 to be an assistant scoutmaster, then go through training and be nominated, etc. So, your comparison is wrong.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Most people are not homosexuals. Allowing homosexual scoutmasters would be tantamount to allowing heterosexual 15 yo males to be scout masters for 12 year-old girl-scouts. It would be idiocy. If it happens, scouting is doomed.

You're saying that an adult homosexual is like a heterosexual 15 year-old male?? Huh?

Normal, decent, law abiding homosexuals are not attracted to boys.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

Personally I don't equate homosexuality with pedophilia or predatory behavior, it doesn't make any sense to do so. But, I did see the woman's point and felt it was something worth consideration.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
My son is into scouts. He likes playing and building and climbing and hiking and . . well. . . dirt!

Who cares about sexual orientation!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Engaging in sexual activity, whether camping or not, is against the Scouts Declaration of Religious Principle already.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Allowing homosexual scoutmasters would be tantamount to allowing heterosexual 15 yo males to be scout masters for 12 year-old girl-scouts.

You have to be 18 to be an assistant scoutmaster, then go through training and be nominated, etc. So, your comparison is wrong.

Do you think the sex drive would be less in the 18 yo? Good grief.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Do you think the sex drive is all powerful and cannot be controlled? Good grief.

I don't think someone who makes it through the Scouts to the level of assistant scout and goes through the training, gets nominated and approved to be a leader would be unable to control himself and act as a reasonable human being. I don't assume that because someone is gay, that they're attracted to little children. Good grief!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
They can run their organization any way they like .... and I like how they've decided to run it.
Good for them.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm not sure how that would negate any concerns of a parent. While that is a good rule to have it doesn't actually address the question she put forward. To have a rule in place is good thing but to honestly think that it will stop things from happening is a bit blind. I'm sure it will curb some kids actions I have no doubt, and some it will not.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by drivers1492
I'm not sure how that would negate any concerns of a parent.

If this women allows her son to go to school, the movies, camping, or horseback riding, she's taking the chance that he's encountering gay boys (AND STRAIGHT GIRLS) and they will have the opportunity to approach her son. In the scouts, there are specific rules against such things. So, he's actually safer belonging to the scouts than he is in general society.

My point is, Scouts are not allowed to have sex. Period. There have always been gay scouts. As in the military, there's about 10% of EVERY population that have gay members. With the passing of this change, they will still be there, they just don't have to worry about hiding who they are (pretending to like girls or pretending to be macho) from everyone.

Just because someone is gay, that doesn't mean they are going to act inappropriately toward anyone. That's what people aren't getting. And assuming that gay people don't know how to act appropriately in society and just can't control their urges is really stupid.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Do you think the sex drive is all powerful and cannot be controlled? Good grief.

I don't think someone who makes it through the Scouts to the level of assistant scout and goes through the training, gets nominated and approved to be a leader would be unable to control himself and act as a reasonable human being. I don't assume that because someone is gay, that they're attracted to little children. Good grief!

The boy scouts are ages 11-17, no longer "children". But a favorite "age" for most sexual predators.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join