It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Identify A Strange Plane I Saw Today Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Took my dog for a quick walk and heard a plane approaching that sounded a little odd. Looked up and was surprised to see a plane with a rather strange shape flying fairly low. It didn't appear all that big, had a wing near the nose that was rectangular and the "normal" wings seemed a little odd. Thing was a bit loud, sounded like it had a propellor but I couldn't see any indication of how it was powered.

The "front wing" was what really stuck out to me, never seen it before on a plane and the shape surprised me. I'm betting someone is going to know what it is fairly quickly, but if need be I can draw a crappy picture.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Turboprop Pusher Aircraft

In aircraft terminology, a jet engine providing thrust by spinning a propeller is called a turboprop. A jet aircraft with propellers on the rear of the engines would be called turboprop pusher aircraft. The more common use of propeller propulsion is to have the propeller in front of the engine -- piston or turbine. Putting the propeller to the rear is called a pusher configuration.
sound right ?

edit on 25-5-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Was it a StarShip? I see one land here from time to time. Cool plane!

Pretty rare plane nowadays.
edit on 25-5-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Awesome! Thanks guys. I think it was the Starship as the wings were swept back. I need to just always carry a camera/have my phone charged.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The canard design makes it more stable, and much harder to stall (damn near impossible). It looks really weird if you've never seen it though.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Or how about this. A private plane design.

Sorry didn't work. Try this
images.search.yahoo.com...;_ylt=A2KJkP2_hKFR9FAA7ECJzbkF;_ylu=X3o'___'BlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.y ahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Drear%2Bwing%2Bpusher%2Bprop%26_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Drear%2Bwing%2Bpusher%2Bprop%26fr%3Dyfp-t-635%26tab%3Dorganic%2 6ri%3D92&w=2185&h=1543&imgurl=upload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fe%2Fe3%2FRutan.variEze.g-veze.arp.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforcefin.blogspot.c om%2F2009%2F12%2Fart-of-design.html&size=586.6KB&name=Force+Fin%3A+The+Art+of+Design&p=rear+wing+pusher+prop&oid=0a636c961230400640b19dc6ffb75770&fr2= &fr=yfp-t-635&tt=Force+Fin%3A+The+Art+of+Design&b=91&ni=144&no=92&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11nu5b6hp&sigb=14ccj70fu&sigi=128j1lf97&.crumb=LMhSt/Zfrn4&fr=y fp-t-635
edit on 25-5-2013 by Magister because: Image didnt work

Oh hell! Just pretend I was never here!
edit on 25-5-2013 by Magister because: I give up

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Magister

Easiest way to do it is click the "link" button, type a random word, and put the link in that. It cuts it down to whatever word you put.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Is this the aircraft that you saw ?

PIAGGIO P.180 AVANTI

edit on 25-5-2013 by CosmicQuest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I sometimes see the occasional Avanti on my walks as they head into Luton airport. Very distintive sound and I know what it is before I even see it. Lovely looking aircraft it is too!

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Domo1

It looks really weird if you've never seen it though.

Weird translates to awesome in my book concerning this plane. To bad it was discontinued due to costs. I believe that it was also the first commercial fly by wire aircraft. Glass cockpit, etc. Hence the price tag.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There are a plethera of rigid/composite microlights out there with the canard configuration, and since you said it looked small and low, it could have been one of those.

www.mickaircraft.com...
edit on 26-5-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

My thoughts were to an experimental aircraft as well. While the larger ones are pretty awesome, they're so few in numbers that chances are slim. Aircraft such as the Long-EZ are far more common though.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
reply to post by smurfy

My thoughts were to an experimental aircraft as well. While the larger ones are pretty awesome, they're so few in numbers that chances are slim. Aircraft such as the Long-EZ are far more common though.

Yes, there is one that buzzes around here from time to time, my guess is perhaps Newtownards airfield either as a destination from Eire, or based in Newtownards. We get a lot of trikes as well.

new topics

top topics

join