It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's CEO Responds to 9-Year-Old Girl Who Claims Kids Are Being Tricked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
gma.yahoo.com...

Don Thompson, CEO of McDonald's Corp., found himself on the grill after a 9-year-old girl accused the fast food giant of trying to "trick kids into eating food that isn't good for them." Hannah Robertson, 9, flew in with her mom from Kelowna, British Columbia, to attend McDonald's annual shareholder meeting Thursday in Oak Brook, Ill., the company's headquarters. "Something that I don't think is fair is when big companies try to trick kids into eating food that isn't good for them by using toys and cartoon characters," Robertson read during the question and answer part of the meeting. "If parents haven't taught their kids about healthy eating then the kids probably believe that junk food is good for them because it might taste good."

Now I have worked for McDonald's as a manager and I am a parent, so I am qualified to speak about this in both instances.

I applaud the child for having the guts to pose this issue, I applaud the mother for trying to teach her kid and other parents the benefits of eating healthy, what I don't do is agree with this theory that McDonald's is at fault for the choices made by any parents with regard to their deciding to pander to their children over "Happy Meal" toys.

Marketing is designed to entice purchases of all products, it is a process that has evolved for many years, McDonald's has a responsibility to their shareholders and franchisee's to expand and advertise their brand aggressively; and they do this very well.

They have a responsibility to their customers to provide fresh, hot food or cold food, safely served with a friendly attitude for a value. They do this very well, most of the time.

The parents have a responsibility to be prudent in their upbringing of their children, health and welfare are their parental duties. Sadly, this is not the only case involving parents trying to "pass the buck" on their own behavior with regard to their children.

If you do not want your child to eat unhealthy, then don't let them.

I let my kid eat McDonald's all the time, but I had a specific way to enforce it and he grew up completely healthy in every way.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I know mc donalds is bad. I always get chicken nuggets they taste sooo good!! OM NOM NOM! x)

Also I love your avatar!!!

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I know mc donalds is bad. I always get chicken nuggets they taste sooo good!! OM NOM NOM! x)

Also I love your avatar!!!

I appreciate that. Eat the chicken strips though they are real chicken, the nuggets are made with crap you do not want to eat.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I have never seen a McDonald's commercial that tells kids that Happy Meals are healthy food, so I don't understand how they could be tricking kids. Luring them with colorful boxes and popular character toys- yes, but tricking them? I don't think so. Letting your kid have a Happy Meal (especially if you choose the apple slices and milk over french fries and soda) isn't going to make them unhealthy; giving in to their demands and letting them eat Happy Meals on a regular basis will though.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Every thing in moderation. The frequency is up to the parent. My kid had his eye's on the toys, what kid doesn't. I was a kid once and I loved to get new toys whenever I could, mine were usually, Matchbox cars or Leggo's. Why don't they target those idiot cereal companies that make you buy stupid sugary crap just to get a silly toy made of paper or plastic, or the Crackerjacks people? While their at it go after the morons that make those stupid crane get a stuffed doll for 20 dollars machines.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I have to agree with your assessment. Parents have a choice on how they raise their children. McDonald's isn't dragging their kids into their restaurants forcing them to eat their food. McDonald's is just taking advantage of marketing their product just like any other business.

One thing that wasn't pointed out, is that at least they have listened to public demands and have added healthier choices on their menu. Considering the obesity epidemic in this country, and the number of people who are dieting on a daily basis, it would be a poor business decision for any restaurant to ignore the market potential of "dieters" and the "healthy" eating craze demographic group.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Personally I think maccas takes more than their fair share of flack over this,

Most fast food chains do it, and I've seen more toys in chip packets than I care to count. Then there's kinder surprises and all that.

The parent chooses whether or not to take their child to McDonald's, and then they choose what the child is allowed to eat. If the child is getting obese with type two, then it's the parents fault. Maccas did not force them to eat it, they only provided that choice we should all have of spoiling ourselves once in a while. It's up to us to decide how often we eat it, or if our kids ever do.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

[color=9FB08F]"Something that I don't think is fair is when big companies try to trick kids into eating food that isn't good for them by using toys and cartoon characters,"

gma.yahoo.com...

That isn't trickery. That's more like enticing. (or bribery)
There's a difference.

Kids are selling their souls to Ronald McDonald, who is far more sinister than Satan. Every Happy Meal toy comes at a price. Each Happy Meal toy costs 1 little piece of your soul........[color=757575]mmmmmaybe. probably not though.

edit on 5/24/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Really it's not spoiling them to provide a meal though. They offer choices at least, but potatoes in moderation are healthy, it's the fried oil part and the salt. You can get milk and apples or apple sauce, but the applesauce is really not that healthy either. Yogurt is available and salads too, you are right, it was pointed out in the article though that these choices are available. One thing that was not pointed out is this, as a manager I can give a toy to any child I want for free, it is called a "Happy Face" when it happens. Also, if it is just the toy they want there is a way to charge them a nominal fee for it without the purchase of a "Happy Meal". If they want the bag or the box, they are welcomed to it for free in most McDonald's, I mean very few would actually charge for it, unless they are just jerks.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

[color=9FB08F]"Something that I don't think is fair is when big companies try to trick kids into eating food that isn't good for them by using toys and cartoon characters,"

gma.yahoo.com...

That isn't trickery. That's more like enticing. (or bribery)
There's a difference.

Kids are selling their souls to Ronald McDonald, who is far more sinister than Satan. Every Happy Meal toy comes at a price. Each Happy Meal toy costs 1 little piece of your soul........[color=757575]mmmmmaybe. probably not though.

edit on 5/24/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

Well this was a 9 year old so maybe she perceived it to be trickery, the parent on the other hand was not being very practical, I wonder how much make-up she wears or the clothes she gets from Victoria Secrets that were due to marketing?

edit on 24-5-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

I have to agree with your assessment. Parents have a choice on how they raise their children. McDonald's isn't dragging their kids into their restaurants forcing them to eat their food. McDonald's is just taking advantage of marketing their product just like any other business.

One thing that wasn't pointed out, is that at least they have listened to public demands and have added healthier choices on their menu. Considering the obesity epidemic in this country, and the number of people who are dieting on a daily basis, it would be a poor business decision for any restaurant to ignore the market potential of "dieters" and the "healthy" eating craze demographic group.

Thank you for your reply. It is a consumer driven market and children are consumers. Any one on a diet though, can eat what they want to eat in moderation and still lose weight. Getting a salad is only healthy if you don't drench it with salad dressing (defeats the purpose). Milk shakes, apple pies, even a hamburger is okay to eat if you are on a diet. Small shake, apple pies are baked, and if you don't get cheese or mayo on your burger and ask for the bun dry, also, healthier to eat than salads with dressing on them.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree

Well this was a 9 year old so maybe she perceived it to be trickery, the parent on the other hand was not being very practical, I wonder how much make-up she wears or the clothes she gets from Victoria Secrets that were due to marketing?

It's probably much more likely that this is just what she has been taught, and not actually a conclusion that she reached on her own, and based off of her own perceptions.

posted on May, 25 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I hear a 9 year old girl reiterating the words her mother has said to her. Or maybe a teacher.

As every other poster has said....you make a choice. If you are simple enough to be fooled by givaways and other marketing ploys, then you fall under that whole "let the buyer beware" maxim with the rest of us.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Mickey Dee's and other fast food places have lately made kids meals a lot healthier or at least provided healthy alternatives. As always, the onus is upon the PARENTS for their kids' meals and choices.

new topics

top topics

join