It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would like the ability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
To give a negative star and a negative flag.
Or be able to ignore posters. I don't like an ignore but I do think forum members need a way to display displeasure aof a post or poster.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

I just wish there wasn't any rating system. This is supposed to be a website where people seeking the truth can come and post and explore topics they can't anywhere else. Most of the time immediately after posting a topic people get ate by the lurking sharks that do nothing but shoot down every idea or topic, or state there was a topic like that somewhere in the archived pages months back that is inactive.

I think if you vote up or down you should be required to give a brief synopsis of why like you do when editing, otherwise don't put it there at all.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

This comes up every once in awhile. The general consensus is that if you don't like what they say, simply don't star and flag it. Negative anything has too much potential for abuse (a good example are chemtrail threads, where debunkers are almost instantly called shills, accused of operating in packs, etc).

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
sadly, as the previous poster mentioned, there can, at times, be a pack mentality on ATS and as such many valid, interesting threads and posts could be immediately negated by a slew of negative stars and flags regardless of what was being said, if the poster has previously "gained enemies" from some other thread.

I have noticed this a lot recently, some of the most idiotic, ignorant posts and threads with a gazillion flags and stars taking precedence over well thought out, balanced and reasonable posts and threads, which will go unnoticed with a couple of flags/stars.

No, my motto, if you don't like it, don't read it...and most certainly don't flag or star it, just move on to something you do enjoy.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by catt3
To give a negative star and a negative flag.
Probably not going to happen.

Or be able to ignore posters. I don't like an ignore but I do think forum members need a way to display displeasure aof a post or poster.
Previously, this site had the function to ignore posters. The function was removed.

If I have a problem with a specific post, if it's worth replying to, I reply to it and state the reasons. That's much more helpful than a "negative star", because with a negative star they don't know why you didn't like it.

I suppose you could express displeasure with a poster using the "make rival" feature, which is sort of the opposite of "add as a friend". I've never used the make rival feature, except by accident.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

The best way is to post in the thread, explain the reasons why, concisely, then tell them you won't be leaving a flag or a star. State your opinion, and you'll find that people will respect you a lot more when you do speak your mind.

reply to post by LadyofGlass

I just wish there wasn't any rating system.

There is no obligation to give stars or flags. You have every right to simply read, and never participate in anyway. I personally read a heck of a lot more than what I could possible comment on, sometimes it's a flame war, sometimes it's just a conversation I simply find interesting, but have nothing to say in particular. I often use the "subscribe" button to instantly sub to the thread, (Big MyATS Fan) then when I have time, go back and read it, to then either place a comment in it, and leave a flag and star, or simply just read. Again, it boils down to if it's interesting or not as to whether it gets my flag. In really interesting threads I will be anal about giving a star to everyone, especially the ones I create.

Hang in there Ladies, it'll get better. Just keep posting!

new topics

top topics

join