It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Scientists Think "Salamander-Like" Human Limb Regeneration Is Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Article Link

This is very cool. Imagine losing a limb and then just going to the hospital to regrow it.
An not just limbs but internal organs as well.
Looks like they can also restore limbs to prior amputees at least in theory.

The future sure looks awesome!

I am a human, so if my limbs fall off, they stay off. This is unfortunate. It's also why Australian scientists are working to enable "salamander-like" limb repair in people. A new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences offers new insights into how salamanders self-repair, and holds clues as to how humans might learn from their example.

Salamanders, you see, are one of the few vertebrates with full-fledged regenerative capabilities: they can repair their hearts, brains, and spines, and they regrow entire limbs. What makes all that regeneration possible are cells called macrophages. These cells not only kill off invasive bacteria and fungi, study author Dr. James Godwin, of the Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute at Monash University, tells ABC Australia, they "actively determine repair."

Read more: motherboard.vice.com...
Follow us: @motherboard on Twitter | motherboardtv on Facebook

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Mind blown bro! The implications of this are huge. If it could be perfected enough then I wonder if it could cure Paralysis. Like you break your back but they can grow you a new spinal cord.

edit on 23-5-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I've seen this before!!

Is there a Spiderman in the house?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The title of the op is a bit of a stretch. The scientists don't think it 'is' possible they are saying it might be possible if they work out how to do it. They have a very loose theory on how it 'might' work if a whole bunch of other things are correct AND they can then use these other things to do the same thing in humans and its works.

Its just a theory. Its an interesting theory but at the moment its all just a theory.

edit on 24-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join