It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manning stipulates to Bin Laden using his leaked material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
This probably isn't a good thing for Manning and if this is what he and his attorneys are willing to stipulate to before trial starts on June 3rd, then I'm awfully curious to know just how much more there is to come out.

FT. MEADE, Md. (CN) - At his last hearing before his June 3 trial, Pfc. Bradley Manning stipulated that the raid on Osama bin Laden's compound turned up Osama bin Laden's instructions to an al-Qaida member to find secret files published by WikiLeaks.

The "same member of al-Qaida" replied to bin Laden with Department of State and Afghanistan "war log" information that the secret-spilling website released, according to the stipulation. Prosecutors promised that they could prove this link at a hearing late last year, and Manning waived his right to contest the connection on the witness stand Tuesday morning.

He also has helpfully explained a bit in his pleas to the 20 lesser charged before trial, just what his thinking was.

During a statement he delivered at his plea, Manning testified that he chose files, and categories of files, that he believed would provoke public debate about how the U.S. conducts war and diplomacy, without putting national security at risk.

For example, he said that he viewed the Afghanistan war logs as low sensitivity "historical data" and only released diplomatic cables marked "SIP-DIS," a designation intended for wide distribution among government employees.
(Source: Courthouse News)

I believe the Secret/NOFORN material (Ahem... rumor has it, there was stuff like that in the leaks...
) was considered sensitive in terms of just hitting the open net. Some of that, those same rumors would have it, was quite detailed and personal with names and places. Rumors, of course. It's illegal to read the stuff, I suppose.

I thought his stipulation was quite interesting to share though, on multiple levels, when it comes down to it.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You know, I guess I never did hear if the LikiWeaks "insurance" file was ever decrypted or if the key was ever released. With all the heat on Assange now, one would have to assume there was some pretty interesting stuff in there.

Dunno, it just suddenly struck me that we still have no idea what was in the leak that started this song and dance between Assange and the US gubmt.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

The second one was opened with a released key but had nothing but a big archive of mildly interesting stuff. The first and main insurance file still sits...protected and refusing to give up anything. Or so I've heard by those pesky rumors. It would be a shame if that is never opened. I really would like to see what a place like wikileaks considers above average for damaging. It's gotta be good.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There are 2 parts to the Manning trial:

1. The comprimise of US Security VS 2. Whistle-blower status

Most at the trial will state that #2, even though encouraged, doesn't weigh-in against #1.

However, IMO, the actions that may occur there-after #1 are direct re-repercussions what was covered up in #2.

IT's thee most important trial since the Nuremberg trials

edit on 22-5-2013 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm sure there are interesting things in that file, but its a double-edged sword - you might learn some secrets, but you'd have the spooks after you. I certainly wouldn't want to be on their bad side.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliophant

You're right. Especially given that the NSA is still hammering away at the thing, as I'd last heard. (AES Encryption has one powerful advertiser in wikileaks..lol)

I think it's interesting though, how many people suggest the boy is innocent of anything ...when he's pleading guilty to 20 different serious charges and really, the core of the case for most people's thinking. He's on tape, by phone recording, saying what he did..why he did it and that he'd do it again (at least back at that point.. I'll bet he wouldn't do it twice at this point).

The actual trial is to see about burying him forever in taking what he already pled guilty to (leaking everything he could get his paws on, right out the door) and showing it was a direct act of treason in aid/comfort and direct support of the Enemy in time of war.

Personally? I think the trial is a waste and total overkill. He's good for 20 years as he's already pled. Probably a bit more with some other things added....and without this trial. Do we need to see him actually die in a cell? I don't think so. I think it's collective vengeance gone wild to keep at this, at this point. He's a cooked bird and won't see free air again until he's an old man. 20 years... A REAL 20 YEARS...in a Military Prison won't leave him anything like the man he is today, I'm sure.

When is enough, enough? Still.... To the Thread directly, is is interesting that even he'd openly stipulate to his material being the direct attention item for Usama himself. So much for thinking Al Qaeda missed the memo (or the hundreds of thousands of them)

top topics

join