It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Astronaut Camarda Denies Bogus 'UFO Quotation"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
In response to a challenge on another thread, I finally decided it was worth the effort to contact my old friend charlie camarda and bother him about a UFO 'fact' exploiting his name.

Here's my message to him, for context.

Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:24 PM
To: charles camarda Subject: verification of quote attributed to you

Dear Charlie:

In my retirement I'm studying popular space myths, and what is behind them -- usually nothing.

Your name comes up as giving a quotation endorsing the idea NASA is withholding 'UFO secrets' from the public.

Google your name "AND UFO" to see the comment --

"In my official status, I cannot comment on ET contact. However, personally, I can assure you, we are not alone!
--Charles J. Camarda (Ph.D.) NASA Astronaut

Since most of the 'space UFO stories' on the Internet are totally bogus, or grossly distorted, I'd be curious to learn
what's behind this one.

My research results, for what they're worth, are on a page at my website: www.jamesoberg.com/ufo.html

I hope you feel it's worth it to set the record straight somewhere, at least.

Here is his reply:

To: jameseoberg@xxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: verification of quote attributed to you

Jim,

I can assure that quote did not come from my lips. I tried playing the bogus video which supposedly has this quote by me and surprise, surprise, the video was terminated?

If you ever find the supposed video or the perpetrator of such nonsense please send him/her my way!

I have seen allot of strange things in my life, especially growing up in NYC, some of which could be classified as alien, but extraterresterial, no!

Now when you are ready to write a book about dysfunctional culture, I am in!

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit on 22-5-2013 by JimOberg because: typo

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If it's on the internet it's got to be true...

I'm a french model...bon jour.

edit on 22-5-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am curious though as to what he means as looking like alien but is not ET?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Apparently no one wants the truth Jim. For popularitys sake I guess its better to start a more controversial thread where members troll and insult one and other.
On a more personal note what are your thoughts on our status of lone intelligence in the universe? Do you ever watch Morgan Freemans "Through the Wormhole" ?
For myself I often use a quote from the movie Contact. "If we are it, it seems an awful waste of space"

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
If it's on the internet it's got to be true...

I'm a french model...bon jour.

I was thinking exactly of that ad, thanks!!

More serious question:

What is WRONG with the 'UFO culture" that such simple verification checks
are not only NOT made, they are discouraged -- or covered up, if they are made?

Carpenter quote. 'Alien spaceship under observation' quote. Chatelain quotes.
Secret conessions by Armstrong. Secret confessions by Jim Irwin. The Mercury-9 fake.
Aldrin faked 'admission'. X-15 hoaxed half-quotes. Afanasyev hoaxed 'translation'.
On and on and on....

And how can it be fixed?

Because the phenomenon deserves more grown-up treatment.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
In response to a challenge on another thread, I finally decided it was worth the effort to contact my old friend charlie camarda and bother him about a UFO 'fact' exploiting his name.

Here's my message to him, for context.

Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:24 PM
To: charles camarda Subject: verification of quote attributed to you

Dear Charlie:

In my retirement I'm studying popular space myths, and what is behind them -- usually nothing.

Your name comes up as giving a quotation endorsing the idea NASA is withholding 'UFO secrets' from the public.

Google your name "AND UFO" to see the comment --

"In my official status, I cannot comment on ET contact. However, personally, I can assure you, we are not alone!
--Charles J. Camarda (Ph.D.) NASA Astronaut

Since most of the 'space UFO stories' on the Internet are totally bogus, or grossly distorted, I'd be curious to learn
what's behind this one.

My research results, for what they're worth, are on a page at my website: www.jamesoberg.com/ufo.html

I hope you feel it's worth it to set the record straight somewhere, at least.

Here is his reply:

To: jameseoberg@xxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: verification of quote attributed to you

Jim,

I can assure that quote did not come from my lips. I tried playing the bogus video which supposedly has this quote by me and surprise, surprise, the video was terminated?

If you ever find the supposed video or the perpetrator of such nonsense please send him/her my way!

I have seen allot of strange things in my life, especially growing up in NYC, some of which could be classified as alien, but extraterresterial, no!

Now when you are ready to write a book about dysfunctional culture, I am in!

Charlie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit on 22-5-2013 by JimOberg because: typo

Well, the video works, and is all of 15 seconds long, there is only the written quote and nothing else. There is no initial comments, and it is closed for replies. Not worth much on the face of it.

I'm not too sure about the dysfunctional society with quotes et al that includes world leaders and our finest, unless they are all lies. Is it not possible that that Mr Camarda has said something similar, which has been distorted? if so an easy fix.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

We have just witnessed the genesis of a misquotation.
edit on 22-5-2013 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I wouldn't take much notice there, it's likely a social comment and a pretty common one here when you see some people's antics.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

Hey, you cant put anything on the internet that isnt true.

Where'd you hear that?

The internet.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

What he said exactly was:

...which I think was mainly a joke (i.e., that there are some pretty strange things [strange people] in New York City).

edit on 5/22/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

What is WRONG with the 'UFO culture" that such simple verification checks
are not only NOT made, they are discouraged -- or covered up, if they are made?

Yeah it's a pitty, they all share the same beliefs and express the same behaviour.
And you're such a nice person. No wonder you get treated with so much respect here.
Never judging or stereotyping, nice guy you.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

This UFO "myth" thing is really grinding your gears, isn't it?

If you're trying to knock down dominoes one by one then I think you're going to be here for a very long time mate

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

If you're trying to knock down dominoes one by one then I think you're going to be here for a very long time mate

What really seems to twist your knickers is that I'll teach OTHER people to knock down dominos, too -- then beware the avalanche!

I notice you don't seem to mind getting hoaxed by the bogus "Camarda" quote, so can you explain to me how being an accessory after the fact to your own duping somehow makes you feel smarter?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Humans. Weird, alien, humans. New York City has them.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
***KEEP IT ON TOPIC AND OFF EACH OTHER FOLKS.***

Blaine91555
Forum Moderator

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
just nevermind oberg. nobody is listening to you anymore. people are going to believe that aliens exist and there's sadly nothing you can do about it. the more you squirm and wriggle in your attempts to debunk it all, the sillier you look. i advise you to find something else for your whole life to be about.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
just nevermind oberg. nobody is listening to you anymore. people are going to believe that aliens exist and there's sadly nothing you can do about it. the more you squirm and wriggle in your attempts to debunk it all, the sillier you look. i advise you to find something else for your whole life to be about.

Wow. Denial much?

Anyway, most of the UFO myths are indeed based on unverifiable info or misquotes or interpretation. No proof, though. That's not to say alien life ain't possible....math says otherwise. However, no proof of their visitation to earth though.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I for one applaud you Jim

Better to separate the wheat from the chaff so we can concentrate where we should

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

What really seems to twist your knickers is that I'll teach OTHER people to knock down dominos, too -- then beware the avalanche!

I notice you don't seem to mind getting hoaxed by the bogus "Camarda" quote, so can you explain to me how being an accessory after the fact to your own duping somehow makes you feel smarter?

Being smart isn't a competition

And please do teach others to knock 'em down, nothing wrong with skepticism

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Once again, here's the story of Deke Slayton's sighting, straight from the man himself, in a video provided by ATS member easynow, leaving no doubt about what he said or that he said it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join