It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Boys climb mount Everest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Boys unfurl Tricolour atop Everest

With the hoisting of the Tricolour and the school flag on the highest peak of the Everest, a seven-member team of students of The Lawrence School, Sanawar, has set a new record of being the youngest team to scale the Everest on Tuesday. Four among the seven climbers of Class 12 are from Punjab, while others are from Delhi, Himachal Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.

This herculean feat has accorded them the claim of being the only boarding school in the world to unfurl the Tricolour and the school flag atop the lofty peak. The school has also become the first school worldwide to send a team to the Mt Everest. Six boys are 16 years of age and Raghav Juneja is of 15 years, making him the youngest Indian to scale the Mt Everest. He has now beaten the record of Arjun Vajpai, who was 16 when he scaled the Everest. Many expeditions have trudged atop the Everest since Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing summited the peak way back in 1953. Sixty years later, seven students of Sanawar made the history and glorified their alma mater.

The team - Sanawar Everest Expedition 2013 - led by Col Neeraj Rana (retd), former principal, Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI), Darjeeling, was shortlisted among the volunteers after a gruelling basic mountaineering course at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute. The team members - Privthvi Chahal, Ajay Sohal, Raghav Joneja, Shubham Kaushik, Fateh Brar, Guribadat Singh and Hakikat Grewal - arrived at the base camp in Nepal on April 19. Congratulating the boys, school headmaster Praveen Vashisht said the conquest of the Everest was not a mere step, but a giant leap for Sanawar. "They have indomitably upheld their school credo - Never Give In - in letter and spirit," he quipped.

www.hindustantimes.com...

This is some achievement .... did not realize kids so young could achieve soo much or their bodies could handle it....

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

This beats the field trips and science fair projects we used to do. Now all the cool kids will be climbing Mt. Everest. The standard question when being asked out on a date will be "Have you climbed Mt. Everest yet?" And when the last kid to climb Mt. Everest gets to the peak she will be mocked unmercifully for being a slow poke.

EDIT: I looked on search to try to find that multizillion-pixel pic of Mt. Everest, and saw a thread that a 13-year old American boy had climbed to the peak. Perhaps the pre-teens will get into the act soon.
edit on 22-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Big deal. Everybody climbs Everest nowadays, even Japanese grandmothers. I wish they would all fall off and leave the mountain in peace.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Relax ..... take a cold bath..why so rude...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Climbing Mt. Everest is no longer such a great achievement, it doesn't rank much higher than completing a Marathon or trekking the Via Sacra in Spain.

The only real difficulty is the height, and that you can acclimatize to to a certain degree. The Sherpas really do all the work, and literally prod and carry the climbers to the top and back down again. Yet, everyone flaunts all the "firsts" to reach the top recently.

I am an amateur climber, and Mt. Everest is not on my list.

Climb K2 and I'll be impressed.
edit on 22-5-2013 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2013 by fedeykin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

If you had ever been in the Himalayas you would understand why. Unfortunately Nepal is a poor country, and tourists bring in dollars.

I hear there've been some tourist deaths on the mountain in recent years. Sagarmatha is not without her defences.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by maddy21

If you had ever been in the Himalayas you would understand why. Unfortunately Nepal is a poor country, and tourists bring in dollars.

I hear there've been some tourist deaths on the mountain in recent years. Sagarmatha is not without her defences.
I agree upto certain extent. Pollution is another issue brought up recently.
MT_EVEREST_2GP_IMAGE

top topics

join