It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Racism?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There was a thread here on ATS, on the front page about racism that was shut down because it got rather heated:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It got me to thinking about race in the USA. I don't consider myself racist but I am prejudiced towards certain groups of people, is that considered racism? When we Pre-Judge another about anything is it Racist?

I had an experience in school that made me really question race and allowed me empathy towards those of another race in a way that I'd never had before and I want to share it briefly with you (and thank the teacher who provoked the incident).

I was taking a MBA class on general systems theory and one day was a few minutes late to class (long drive in LA, CA traffic). When I arrived the door to the class was locked and three other classmates were outside waiting to be let in, two white and two black and, as it happens, two male and two female. The teacher was aware that we were out there and didn't open the door.

The four of us began to talk, I was wondering aloud how long to wait before leaving, another pissed that the teacher was ignoring us, just that kind of chit-chat. The black man eventually went and got an administrator to come and open the door. He solved the problem nicely and we all joined the class.

And became the discussion of the day. We were questioned about what were we thinking as we were locked out of class. For myself - I thought the teacher was teacning respect for other people's time and attention and used a solution that I myself have used with young people. I noted my surprise at the black man's excellent solution to the problem as I myself would have just gone home and been on time for the next class session.

What surprised and touched me, in summary, was that the two white students just accepted the situation and were going to get in touch with others to 'catch up' and go about our business. But my Black classmates felt very deeply that something was being taken away from them, something they'd worked hard for and deserved. Their pride at being in the class and their will to participate was palpable and infectious.

These were sucessful Black professionals and they still felt the sting of generations of racial segregation. They were intelligent, respected and still felt fear and misgivings. I cannot image what it would be like to grow up and be that profoundly handicapped by 'The System'.

That said I came across a piece with some history of racism: "50 Interesting Facts about Race and Racism

facts.randomhistory.com...

Please be civil. Just 'Denying Racim" is just Denial and doesn't make it true. We all have prejudces of one sort or another and until we acknowledge them and look at them in the light of day, we'll never be whole.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another race.

Racism has become a word that is used too frequently for the wrong reasons.

Racism is a word that others use to their advantages to gain an upper hand.

Racism doesn't hold the same meaning to people now a days as it did 50 years ago.

Race is a biological construct not a social construct. To say that race is a social construct is to say that the differences between a chihuahua and a great dane are only social differences. Race as a social construct is a PC term. If race is a social construct then why are some races more prone to some diseases and others are not? Cycle Cell Anemia is an example. If race is a social construct then why is it that certain drugs for ailments work for some races and not others?

There is a %1 difference in the main races of Homo Sapiens Sapiens. %1 may not seem like a lot.
There is a %1 difference between a male and a female, how different are male and female? Physically and emotionally?

edit on 21-5-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If you dislike someone simply because of a group they belong to then yes, you are racist.

However, very few people in the world are not racists in regards to something or other.

Racism is also separate from discrimination which involves taking some sort of action based on your racist thought.

You could hate a given race all day long and still treat them kindly and fairly whenever you run across them but someone who discriminates will actually do something, as little as crossing over to the other side of the street.

Racism is not necessarily a bad thing because many things can contribute to those feelings such as life experiences or how you were raised.

It only is bad when you act on those feelings.

Hope that helps.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Exactly. Racism is simply believing that one race is superior to another. Period. That means we can all be different and be specialized in certain things but it doesn't make one inferior or superior over another.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I will describe what I think racism is. Racism is the condition that arises when a person judges another person not based on that person's merits, abilities, personal qualities, etc., but judges them strictly based upon their race or skin color. There is a difference however in identifying someone as being a member of a particular race, and being racist. Just because I say black or white when talking about a particular person in a certain instance does not mean that I am racist. Although I am lumping or classifying people based on their differences, I am not judging those people for what particular race they are. To me it makes no difference. I could dislike a white person as easily as I could dislike a black or brown person, and it all depends upon their person values, morals, actions, etc.

Often times people do not realize their own prejudices. And everyone has them, although they may not be in the open. This does not mean one is racist however. And a person can be racist yet still not discriminate against other races. Someone who dislikes black people could actually be quite kind to black people, and even help them in different instances. So racism is basically a person's personal thoughts about other races, and I suppose that this does not always mean something bad. It is not right to classify someone as behaving a certain way because they are a certain race, because there are always exceptions to the rule, if there were a rule to begin with.

Stereotyping is also a form of racism, as I was saying. But typing this has gotten me to thinking about whether racism can be a good thing. I have established that racism can at times not be bad, but I cannot think of an instance when it would be a good thing. If a person is going to judge someone else at all, and we all do it at times, race should not really be a factor in that judgement. The person's actions and values are all that should matter. But if two people of a different race meet for the first time, they very well may have stereotypical beliefs about one another. This does not mean they will not like each other once they get to know one another though.

And I disagree with pandering to any particular race. I do not agree that certain organizations should exist solely for black or solely for white, especially in the government. I disagree with organizations like the NAACP, strictly because they serve to perpetuate racism. By having an organization that helps only one race, they are inadvertently, or maybe purposefully, dividing the races. They are part of the problem is what I am saying. They are just serving to perpetuate racism. And they are not the only ones. Think of the chaos that would ensue however if an all white organization like the NAACP was founded? What does that tell you about the current state of racism in our country? It is okay for blacks but not whites? We all acknowledge that blacks were discriminated against decades ago, but that is in the past. Most of those alive today were not involved in that discrimination in any way.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Exactly. Racism is simply believing that one race is superior to another. Period. That means we can all be different and be specialized in certain things but it doesn't make one inferior or superior over another.

It doesn't even need to be race. There was a great experiment a teacher did with her blue eyed students and the brown eyed students to show them the effects of racism. Simply google it for the video if you want to watch it.

You could hate homosexuals, overweight people, the list is really endless of what a person could be racist against.

Its also important to note that racism is not something you can directly control. You can't help it if you like or dislike vanilla ice cream for instance. You could try to dismiss it but that feeling will still usually be there except with a lot of effort.

As long as it stays at that level however, it is harmless.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

It might be off point but, . .. I Fail to see how Negligence equates to Racism or Prejudice.

Maybe it was a bad example on your part.

In any event

Racism is basically the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race.

Prejudice is an adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

Example ... . I am Racist Towards Nazis and EVERYTHING they Stand for.

Example .. I am Prejudice towards anyone who does not share my Biased opinion.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

It doesn't even need to be race. There was a great experiment a teacher did with her blue eyed students and the brown eyed students to show them the effects of racism. Simply google it for the video if you want to watch it.

You could hate homosexuals, overweight people, the list is really endless of what a person could be racist against.

Its also important to note that racism is not something you can directly control. You can't help it if you like or dislike vanilla ice cream for instance. You could try to dismiss it but that feeling will still usually be there except with a lot of effort.

As long as it stays at that level however, it is harmless.

And you just proved my point that racism has taken on a different meaning, per se, than what it meant 50 years ago.

If I'm not mistaken what you've described is prejudice.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by FyreByrd

Racism is basically the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race.

Wrong, racism is the belief that one race is superior to another race. If you believe that is what racism is then you are wrongly misguided.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I see you do not understand that.

you might read it again.
It Basically says what you just said.

EDIT:

P.S. .. . .. . Here is the definition as providved by dictionary Dot com

noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

www.dictionary.com

So Hell, .. . I guess I was pretty much Spot On. . .. ..

Thank you for agreeing.

And on a small personal note. . .. .

Here is another definition. .. . .. . .. .

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

So Hell, .. . You were right too. . .. Congratulations. . I agree with you too. .. .

edit on 21-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think many people confuse racism: discrimination based on physical features, with discrimination against a particular culture or ethnicity.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

No, not really.

If Caucasoid s are better at swimming than Negroids or Mongoloids, this does not make them a superior race. It just means that they are better. Where, Negroids are better runners and sprinters than Caucasoid and Mongoloids. Where the Mongoloids are generally better gymnasts than the other two races.
This doesn't mean that one race is superior to another. This is just merely pointing out that some races are generally better at some things than others.

You may be better than me at math but I'm better than you at science. You see, we have differences, what I lack in compensates for what I am better at than you, and vice versa. Meaning we're equal.
-1+1=0 they cancel each other out, being equal. Not inferior nor superior, but OVERALL (caps for emphasis) equal.

ETA: You pc guys are a tough crowd!! I'm in no way meaning to demean anyone so if you feel like I'm out of line feel free to flame me.

We're all family here and adults.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Make note that I edited my last reply.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another race.

Racism has become a word that is used too frequently for the wrong reasons.

Racism is a word that others use to their advantages to gain an upper hand.

Racism doesn't hold the same meaning to people now a days as it did 50 years ago.

Race is a biological construct not a social construct. To say that race is a social construct is to say that the differences between a chihuahua and a great dane are only social differences. Race as a social construct is a PC term. If race is a social construct then why are some races more prone to some diseases and others are not? Cycle Cell Anemia is an example. If race is a social construct then why is it that certain drugs for ailments work for some races and not others?

There is a %1 difference in the main races of Homo Sapiens Sapiens. %1 may not seem like a lot.
There is a %1 difference between a male and a female, how different are male and female? Physically and emotionally?

Race is not a social construct but racism is. If there were one hispanic man and one black woman on the entire planet it would not exist.There are hundreds of studies on it in fact. They tried to teach grade school children to treat all the same in spite of race and it lasted about 6 months in one of many studies. The study was on stereotypes but focussed on race in particular. Subtle differences exist such as what parents pass on, discrete interactions - such as expectations of how we are treated which elicit behaviors to reinforce that, etc, etc.

Severe racism would be truly believing that one is superior but with the majority of people it's subtle. So these two black students, its a part of their history and has been passed down through generations of messages that are not necessarily in words. They pick their expectations and biases up from the environment. People may very well treat them different even if you don't pick up on it. That and/or their expectations. What hurts me the most is the generational pain still evident in Native American children, and the way some people interact with them where I live. I think people need to try to be aware but not overdo it at the same time. I think if anyone asked themselves, they have some preconceived ideas about at least one race. It's what you do with those ideas.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Thank you for putting it into that perspective for me. S

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Unfortunately. .. The definition is so damn Broad and Vague that you nearly need a lawyer to interpret the freaking thing.

Let's set all of this aside and talk in less complicated terms.

Prejudice = HATE
Discrimination = Your Gay? No Job

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Racism is the method that was used by western industrialists to demonise natives of undeveloped nations ripe for exploitation, colonialism and imperialism.

A form of social conditioning that took on a life of it's own, as social conditioning is designed to do. They opened the chasm, and let the devil out.

edit on 5/21/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Racism is a facet of a specific type of judgementalism.. when we predispose ourselves, either positively or negatively toward others based upon things that they have absolutely no control over. Gender, race, appearance, disability... and more. When we allow ourselves to draw conclusions based solely upon these singular factors, and upon nothing else... that is irrational judgement.

if race or heritage is the basis for an irrational judgement. Then it is racism.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I typically feel it to be an exaggerated issue/concern, usually based upon preconceived outcomes, alliances and anrticipated emotional outbursts, BUT ...

However, You bring it into a light that it not often sees, IMHO.

One of Clarity, For What It's Worth, Nothing more, nothing Less ... As things should be .... based upon demonstrable merit or THE Lack ThereOf. !?

Me?
When we judge or make determinations upon others, in Any way, shape 0r means, we, ultimately expose our very own bias, prejudice and overall being.

How we deal with OR take that is the moar defining aspect of our individual character, being or self ... again, IMHO.

????

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

What is Racism?

an over-rated, outdated means of gauging other's levels of tolerance &/Or social acceptance.

folks would be just as well to revert back to the days of yolks, stocks and ye olde towne square public displays/detentons.

no one walking this big rock has right Nor claim to 'label' another in any way shape or form.

for none of us knows what our road ahead is lined with or holds ready for our coming to pass. (?)

edit on 5/21/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join