It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defending Your Faith (Christian Apologetics) by Dr. R.C. Sproul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Robert Charles Sproul, (born February 13, 1939, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) is an American Calvinist theologian, philosopher, author, and pastor. He is the founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries (named after the Ligonier Valley just outside of Pittsburgh, where the ministry started as a study center for college and seminary students) and can be heard daily on the Renewing Your Mind radio broadcast in the United States and internationally. "Renewing Your Mind with Dr. R.C. Sproul" is also broadcast on Sirius and XM satellite radio. In late July, 2012, a new 24-hour online radio station coined RefNet (Reformation Network) was also announced by Ligonier Ministries in an effort to reach "as many people as possible" where internet access is available.

Dr. Sproul has given many teaching series, and in this particular one, we look at the core of Christian apologetics: Arguments for the existence of God through rational deduction, philosophy, theology, and history of various antichristian arguments.

Even if you're not a Christian, I highly suggest you watch it, as R.C. Sproul is one of the world's powerhouse apologeticists and shows no mercy in ripping apart arguments against the existence of God.

You can view all of these in higher quality by going to: www.ligonier.org...

Most of them are up on Youtube however. Here are the first three:

edit on 20-5-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
What is the point? Do we get to argue the facts with him, or yell them at you?

I don't think he'd listen and you're not really hoping for that. I hope.

I could go and comment on the youtube videos. But what is the point.

If god needs men like him to stand up for him, he's not that powerful and meh, I'd rather be happy and generous with my time than tormented by sin and giving only to please a space warlock.

edit on 20-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You must have watched that first video awful quickly. Oh, you didn't? That's a shame, because then you'd know the reason we engage in apologetics is because the Bible tells us that we must "give a reason for the hope that is in us". John Calvin told us to give an apologia for the reason to "stop the mouth of the obstreperous."

A Christianity in which its followers are without the passion to defend their faith is a pretty dead religion. This isn't a debate thread, this is just me posting educational videos regarding Christian apologetics,
by a man who I have a lot of respect for.

Nobody is making you watch them or post here.
edit on 20-5-2013 by FollowTheWhiteRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have been through the entire study on my own, with the book. Good stuff.

If you see the point as being able to "yell" at somebody, just move along. you're obviously waiting your time. The point is to calmly look at what Sproul presents and make an informed, logical decision, as you see it. I can respect anyone who can calmly listen to an apology and give a well thought out reply, even if I disagree with him.

If you need to yell at someone, you are, clearly, operating from what you, yourself, perceive as a weak position. I'm sorry for that.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by incoserv

There's a book too? I'll have to look that up, thanks.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

I like the ol chap, but I reject Calvinism and hyper-Calvinism.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Defending Your Faith (Christian Apologetics) by Dr. R.C. Sproul,

I'll watch, but I want to make a comment beforehand to see if Mr. Sproul changes my mind.
God is GOD!!! Why would anyone have to defend their faith if god is on their side - if god is protecting them? If a Muslim extremist sets out to cut off a Christian's head, or to kill EVERY Christian, why wouldn't GOD step in to intervene (even once?). Would GOD allow the faithful to be wiped off the planet?

If god doesn't protect them, then
A. God doesn't care.
B. Your following the wrong religion
C. God doesn't exist.

None of these answers are acceptable.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It's silly how believers are always out to preach to the rest of us and try to prove that god is real... why? Why is it important to you that we believe the same things you do?

And why do you always have to defend your faith when no one is attacking you... go to your church, believe whatever you want to believe and leave the rest in peace.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

I think the idea is defending one's reason in the face of questions or even argumentation.

For example I think that a standard of truth and justice is necessary in order for life to be meaningful and purpose driven, and I could support that contention ie: that such a things is not arbitrary or a mere human convention, and yet required a demonstration to be made apparent or manifest in time and history - that kind of thing.

We have reason for our faith, that's all it is.

top topics

join