It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Kills Hostage WTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
A cop in New York shoots and kills the hostage taker AND the hostage. Did he REALLY need to fire 8 times. Sure hope he has a good lawyer.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CT_Flyboy

He is Not going to need a lawyer his "People" will take care of that.
Those in charge will More than Likely deem it Justifiable.
She will become a Victim of Circumstance which is quite Sad to say.

This is Definitely Negligence and Yes, being a Bad Shot is the epitome of Negligence.

But I am curious, .. which shot hit her? That is something we will Never know.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CT_Flyboy

Very very sad. To bad the guy was running around loose with 15 years of crime on his record too. I bet this police officer is never going to have a life again. Everyone lost this one.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Remember, the bad guy could have shot the hostage just as he was threatening to do. Until you have been in a situation like this you don't know what can happen. A cop is trained to "keep the peace" and save lives. The officer that was involved in the shooting can only be going through hell.

Too bad that none of the students were armed...but then they would have been charged with murder for killing an "upstanding citizen". Where's Joe Biden and his shotgun when you need him?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
Too bad that none of the students were armed...but then they would have been charged with murder for killing an "upstanding citizen". Where's Joe Biden and his shotgun when you need him?

For real, dude? That's where you decide to go?

What, you think an armed student would have done a better job than the cop? You do realize that in those situations, the cop shoots everybody who is armed, right? In fact, even if you are running to a cop unarmed, even for help, they will shoot you. If you are wounded on the ground and grab a cop's leg, he will shoot you. They tell you this in workshops. So what do you think they'll do if there are three students and a criminal armed in this situation? They shoot them all.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Besides putting his gun on the ground and offering himself up as a hostage, the cop did what he thought was right. Why he needed 8 rounds, I don't know.

Id like to think somewhere out there, the cop would serve himself up as a hostage though, get in close enough range to disarm him. Maybe that wouldn't work, anything besides what happened here. So sad...

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
My dad was a deputy sheriff back in the 1970s. He and a fellow deputy went to a robbery call at a convenience store. It was a 16 year old kid that did the robbery. They found him, and he had a gun. They told him to drop it, and he didn't.

My dad said the kid just stood there with his head hung down while they were talking to him. Suddenly he took a deep breath and proceeded to point the gun at the other deputy. Both my dad's and the other deputy's shots rang out at the same time and the kid was dead before he hit the ground.

The coroner would have been able to tell them which deputy's bullet actually killed the kid, but my dad and the other deputy declined that information, for obvious reasons. They were only told that he was shot directly in the heart. My dad told me he was pretty sure it was indeed his bullet which killed that kid because my dad was standing behind the door of his unit, directly in front of the suspect, who was facing him. The other deputy was directly to the right of the kid, facing his right shoulder. That doesn't necessarily mean it was my dad's bullet that killed him, but chances are it was. The other deputy ended up resigning over the incident. He just couldn't handle it. I can't remember how long my dad said he went on leave, but he did go back to work.

There are a lot of corrupt cops out there today that kill innocent people left and right for no reason and probably experience hardly any remorse over it. The cop from this particular story was in a very tough situation. The suspect had the victim in a headlock when he pointed his gun at the cop. The cop had no choice. It was either the suspect or him. It's easy to want to blame him for the death of the victim, but I could not imagine being in that kind of situation, then suddenly having a gun pointed right at you, and only having a split second to decide what to do.

Although it didn't ruin my dad's life, he did tell me he would dream about that incident every once in a while, and he thought about it sometimes. All that kid had to do was drop his gun. Instead, he pointed it at the other deputy. Because of that stupid choice, he is now dead, and it apparently ruined that other deputy's life (to some extent, at the very least).

And, because of this guy's stupid decision to not drop his gun when told to, that cop took his life and the innocent victim's life. Now this cop's life is most likely ruined. I wouldn't blame the cop. I would blame the suspect. In this case, anyway (and the one I talked about).

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

An obvious liberal response. The girl's sister's friend was sent after money which took time to go to the ATM and time back in which she also called 911. The twin was already back at the house when the police arrived, running out of the house to the police. The article mentioned 8 minutes. If any one of the students had been armed, the bad guy would have been gone-wounded or, on site disabled. Police don't charge in guns blazing as you allude to. Nice try, though.

Remember, when seconds count, police are only minutes away.
edit on 20-5-2013 by NightFlight because: left out something.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Much like the other thread that is going on here I'll make the same statement.

1 person and 1 person is responsible for the chain of events that ended 2 lives and ruined another..The Suspect.
As much as certain people here want to blame the cop if the idiot criminal had not taken the steps he did then none of the events that followed would have happened.

Please those continue to act as armchair operators and proclaim how you would have "shot to disarm" if in the same scenario or how you would have kindly asked the bad man to stop pointing his gun at the victim and then the officer.

I am glad the career criminal has met his end I just wish it would have happened sooner so these events never happened.
I feel bad the officer has to deal with this for the rest of his life.
I feel horrible an innocent victim lost her life.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

An obvious liberal response.

"Liberal response"? What the hell is wrong with you people?! You do not really live in some FOX fantasy where every person who points out the absurdity and stupidity of arming every man, woman, and child to the teeth is a "liberal". Sometimes people think on their own. You are on ATS. How do you cope here with such linear thought?

Police don't charge in guns blazing as you allude to. Nice try, though.

I didn't "allude" to anything. I told you explicitly what the department says during work shops. This is why they tell you to get down and stay down. It is because they do come in "guns blazing". If you are not down, lying still, you are a threat and will probably be shot. This is what the cops themselves tell you when you go through crisis training.

Simple. If you have a gun when the police arrive and you don't comply quickly enough or try to explain your heroic story to them, they will shoot you. They don't care. They are paid to shoot you if you have a gun. And even when the cops do have the luxury of time and can assess threats, they don't always announce their presence and may not even warn an armed person if there are obvious unarmed civilians spread about.

Ask a cop. Up here, they'll tell you the same thing I did. And I live in a "liberal" state.
edit on 20-5-2013 by Cuervo because: spellin'

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It was a tough situation for the cop and he chose to protect himself before protecting the girl. They should have called in a professional negotiator. A cop should now when someone is holding a hostage you don't shoot at the person holding the hostage because you might kill the hostage. Since he got scared when the man pointed the gun in his direction he chose to fire knowing he could kill the girl by accident and that it would save his own life.

The cop is on sick leave now. He'll go free because the cops safety is always the top priority.

The girls life didn't matter as much.

Thanks very much cop for serving and protecting the public. You are piece of garbage and you will have to live with killing that girl.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
My dad was a deputy sheriff back in the 1970s. He and a fellow deputy went to a robbery call at a convenience store. It was a 16 year old kid that did the robbery. They found him, and he had a gun. They told him to drop it, and he didn't.

My dad said the kid just stood there with his head hung down while they were talking to him. Suddenly he took a deep breath and proceeded to point the gun at the other deputy. Both my dad's and the other deputy's shots rang out at the same time and the kid was dead before he hit the ground.

The coroner would have been able to tell them which deputy's bullet actually killed the kid, but my dad and the other deputy declined that information, for obvious reasons. They were only told that he was shot directly in the heart. My dad told me he was pretty sure it was indeed his bullet which killed that kid because my dad was standing behind the door of his unit, directly in front of the suspect, who was facing him. The other deputy was directly to the right of the kid, facing his right shoulder. That doesn't necessarily mean it was my dad's bullet that killed him, but chances are it was. The other deputy ended up resigning over the incident. He just couldn't handle it. I can't remember how long my dad said he went on leave, but he did go back to work.

There are a lot of corrupt cops out there today that kill innocent people left and right for no reason and probably experience hardly any remorse over it. The cop from this particular story was in a very tough situation. The suspect had the victim in a headlock when he pointed his gun at the cop. The cop had no choice. It was either the suspect or him. It's easy to want to blame him for the death of the victim, but I could not imagine being in that kind of situation, then suddenly having a gun pointed right at you, and only having a split second to decide what to do.

Although it didn't ruin my dad's life, he did tell me he would dream about that incident every once in a while, and he thought about it sometimes. All that kid had to do was drop his gun. Instead, he pointed it at the other deputy. Because of that stupid choice, he is now dead, and it apparently ruined that other deputy's life (to some extent, at the very least).

And, because of this guy's stupid decision to not drop his gun when told to, that cop took his life and the innocent victim's life. Now this cop's life is most likely ruined. I wouldn't blame the cop. I would blame the suspect. In this case, anyway (and the one I talked about).

You missed the whole point. Your dad is right on. Only an idiot shoots at someone holding a hostage in front of them. Or someone who cares more for their own life than the citizen they are supposed to protect.

new topics

top topics

join