It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie scientists print flexible solar panels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I thought this was amazing because they used a photovoltaic liquid to print the panel. The solar panel was printed on plastic and the company touts that you might soon be able to print a solar panel at home!

This technology was borne out of the 3-D printing technology as new ideas lead to new ideas and techniques.

I see this as a step to help the people reduce costs and get off the public grid "teet" so we can cut the feeding tube to the public-corporate ideology which keeps us connected to the grid.

www.smh.com.au...

World-leading scientists at the CSIRO said the A3-sized panels, which are created by laying a liquid photovoltaic ink onto thin, flexible plastic could soon mean everyone has the ability to print their own solar panels at home.

"It would definitely be feasible to do that," said CSIRO materials scientist Dr Scott Watkins.

"The general concept of being able to manufacture on demand, in a house or in a workplace, is really a key feature of what we're doing."

It comes as scientists around the world continue to develop 3D printing - a method of making three-dimensional objects using a digital design.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
It seems to me 3D printing is one of these inventions that will be as important as electricity within the next 10-20 years.

It would be nice to see 3D printed limbs for amputees. While there could be some less than honorable inventions made with it, the pros could out pace the cons considerably.

Can't wait for 3D printed metals, would be nice to print out and replace a faulty part in your car. Then move on to organic materials.

edit on 19-5-2013 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

Printing metals is already here
in fact some printer can use more then 14 meterial type.

Ceramic

Metal

Organ

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
When can I 3D-print a Bisexual red head Nymphomaniac Gourmet Cook with a 38DD bust and a 7 figure trust fund?

OK seriously though, the solar panels are a great idea. And I agree that 3d printing is going to change daily life as much a electricity.
edit on 19-5-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The article (text portion) does not say how effecient the panels are, just that they produce10-15 watts per square meter.

And, biggest problem, the panels only last six months.

Still, a (baby) step in the right direction.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

I agree it is a tiny baby step. 10 to 15 watts per square meter is a tiny amount of power, in fact, barely usable. Six month life is also barely usable. It would not be worth using the raw ingredients to make it.

More of a baby crawl or even a baby turning over. To prove a concept, yes, to have this minor advance and then this fanfare announcing it to the world is a little egocentric to my mind.

P

edit on 19/5/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join