It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Untouched water as old as 2.6 billion years is found: Don't drink it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
May 16, 2013

Nearly 1.5 miles beneath Earth's surface, scientists have discovered pockets of water that have remained in isolation for more than a billion years.

The ancient water bubbling up from the floor of a zinc and copper mine near Timmins in Canada's Ontario province looks crystal clear, but it would not make a cool refreshing drink.

Scientists say it is warm to the touch and much saltier than seawater.

The water is also rich in dissolved hydrogen and methane gas as well as noble gases and their isotopes.

www.latimes.com...

The chemical reactions of the gases could build up enough energy to support life that has been hidden from the sun for more than a billion years, a team of researchers report in a study published in the journal Nature.

A team of British scientists were able to decipher the age of the water by by measuring how many isotopes of noble gases had built up in it over time, which they concluded that the water is 1 billion to 2.6 billion years old.

"This knocked my socks off," Sherwood Lollar told the Los Angeles Times. "These are some of the oldest waters that have ever been identified."

The ancient water was trapped in a network of fractures in granite-like rock that is also billions of years old.

Wow, untouched water that is at least a billion years old. Amazing!!!
[Or at least it was untouched..........
]

edit on 19-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Posted several days ago here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Posted several days ago here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did a search using this title and it came up blank........

Thanks for telling me....
[I still find this very fascinating]

*MODS Please remove.....duplicate thread*
--My Apologies--

snarky

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The new search is a pain, I've doubled a topic because Samaru didn't pick up the 1st one too.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88

The new search is a pain, I've doubled a topic because Samaru didn't pick up the 1st one too.

Hell yesterday it didn't work at all for me, kept coming up with an error message.....
I just winged it hoping it wasn't posted already.

Today it worked but it still didn't do me any good.
If it is not worded just right, it gives zero hits

I liked the old search thingy better......

----------------

ETA: Prime example...copy/pasted this title and this is the only hit I got--

What they don’t want you to know about the New World Order, page 6

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread133104/pg6
Policy Report pre-pared by SRI Center for the study of Social Policy, Director, Professor Willis Harmon. John Lennon certainly did get his ‘revolution’! John Lennon, for example, said the name ‘The Beatles’ came to him in a dream. Perhaps like Napoleon and Joan of Arc, John Lennon had served his part and was no longer required.

Now WTH does the NWO got to do with ancient H2O

And this new thread didn't even show up.....

edit on 19-5-2013 by snarky412 because: pissed off at search funtion.......grrrr

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This is old. (did nebody get it? not funny?)

edit on 19-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy565

This is old. (did nebody get it? not funny?)

edit on 19-5-2013 by billy565 because: (no reason given)

Cute........HaHa!!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I must have missed the other thread, blows my mind water is found that deep! Full of heavy elements too. I guess if it was sealed in somehow it could not evaporate from the heat. Amazing.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This is really cool, I hope they find some microbes in the water.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
May 16, 2013

Nearly 1.5 miles beneath Earth's surface, scientists have discovered pockets of water that have remained in isolation for more than a billion years.

The ancient water bubbling up from the floor of a zinc and copper mine near Timmins in Canada's Ontario province looks crystal clear, but it would not make a cool refreshing drink.

Scientists say it is warm to the touch and much saltier than seawater.

The water is also rich in dissolved hydrogen and methane gas as well as noble gases and their isotopes.

www.latimes.com...

The chemical reactions of the gases could build up enough energy to support life that has been hidden from the sun for more than a billion years, a team of researchers report in a study published in the journal Nature.

A team of British scientists were able to decipher the age of the water by by measuring how many isotopes of noble gases had built up in it over time, which they concluded that the water is 1 billion to 2.6 billion years old.

"This knocked my socks off," Sherwood Lollar told the Los Angeles Times. "These are some of the oldest waters that have ever been identified."

The ancient water was trapped in a network of fractures in granite-like rock that is also billions of years old.

Wow, untouched water that is at least a billion years old. Amazing!!!
[Or at least it was untouched..........
]

edit on 19-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

id say your thread as its merits ,

so its a keeper and new to me so thanks for the thread

starred and flagged

edit on 19/5/2013 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
hell with that, life or death i'd take a drink.
thats some pretty incredible concepts being broken

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"Don't drink the water". Okay now that this has been stated, there is now a 100% chance a moron will come along and do just that. Never fails. That's where warning labels and poison control 800 numbers were invented, for dumb people. Ofcourse if you're that dumb you probably shouldn't breed, like ever.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Water doesn't just form or decay like they are implying.

Just because it turns to vapor or back into water or is filtered a thousand times, it is still in fact the same water it was before.

Where did all the water come from to begin with? Ice asteroids is one of my favorite theories, but there are other possibilities.

Maybe this is the oldest known "isolated water", but as far as we know all the water on Earth is actually the same age. There is no way to date a water molecule with reasonable accuracy that we are aware of at our primitive technological level.

I content this water no older than the water I drink everyday.
Would be cool to be disproved but I have my doubts.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Did no one realize that?

That water doesn't just form or decay the way that is implied here?

If it decayed like that, we would be all dried up.
If it formed like that, everything would be under water.

Water cannot form unless a ton of energy aids the process (to our best understanding).

No one knows for sure how Earth water formed = Complete scientific mystery

Our Earth science so far cannot replicate water in the laboratory yet within any reasonable cost effective manner.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I must have missed the other thread, blows my mind water is found that deep! Full of heavy elements too. I guess if it was sealed in somehow it could not evaporate from the heat. Amazing.

When water evaporates into vapor it is still technically H2O chemically.

It doesn't die or anything like that. It is recycled through the system over and over indefinitely.

That's why we only know this water was locked away a long time, we don't have a clue how old any water anywhere is.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

How does he know the water we drink is so young?

This isn't rational scientist talk, this is hyped up attention grabbing talk. Totally unfounded unrealistic claims.

Please tell me this guy isn't a real scientist.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

amazing share, snarky412...
visualizes sphere heated for periods then warming as it cooled and some large fragments ice like clumped in honeycombs (could be how honeycombed cavities made) and then sphere cooled as more ice like fragments impacted or orbited and fell... and so that water fluid may have some data if analyzed further. Not sure what may be found but interesting to consider its age and where it could of originated from..

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Very cool. S&F.

Anybody care for a quick swim?

_____

Your link isn't working for me though.
(page not found)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's what I'm wondering. How exactly do you tell the "age" of water? Is it like fine wine?

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Who would want to drink that stale water anyway
It seems to me that it would taste undrinkable. I wouldn't even drink swamp water if I was thirsty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join