It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Premier Inn knife attack mystery may never be solved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Premier Inn knife attack mystery may never be solved

www.dai lymail.co.uk

Premier Inn knife attack mystery may never be solved as graduate, 23, dies days after being found in pool of blood near her dying mother
Nicola McDonough dies three days after being found bleeding at hotel
Her mother Margaret, 52, died on Friday after incident in Greenock
Police treating deaths as 'unexplained' but not looking for third party
They had been hoping to speak to Miss McDonough about what happened
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
abovetopsecret.com.samuru.com...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This occurred in Renfrewshire, Scotland. There has been mention of Renfrewshire at ATS in the past. So much blood in this story, no answers and no explanation as to what the women were doing checking into a hotel so near home.

Bloody argument between them? A third party being dismissed. I find it a deeply curious story.

www.dai lymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14/5/2013 by Floh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The more than curious part is 'slash wounds' yet no tool to slash? What happened in that room?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Yeah this has been bugging me for days. The police say they aren't looking for anyone else, and this is backed up by the CCTV. So that only leaves the mother and daughter to have killed each other, for some reason. It just doesn't sit right because they aren't the kind of people who live amongst violence, very much the opposite. If they did kill each other then we have to assume the murder weapon(s) must have been still at the scene when the Police arrived.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Maybe it was some kind of ritual. People do strange things like mutual suicides. None of us really know what they were into.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The only thing I can really say about this is that it would seem to be one of those cases where you can't help but think there has to be way more going on here. I can't even begin to speculate about what that could be because there are so many possible connotations and connections.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Being from Scotland, it's certainly a bit of a mysterious one although I would like to note that certain parts of Greenock are not for the faint hearted and I find it strange that they went out for half an hour at 12.30am or something, that to me indicates a drug deal.

Speculation ofc

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Being from Scotland, it's certainly a bit of a mysterious one although I would like to note that certain parts of Greenock are not for the faint hearted and I find it strange that they went out for half an hour at 12.30am or something, that to me indicates a drug deal.

Speculation ofc

Of course drugs know no moral or class boundary, but in this instance it just doesn't make sense to the onlooker. The daughter was a Social Worker and the mother a Councillor / Politician who last ran for her constituency in December 2012. Politics and drugs do certainly mix, but a Social Worker? It's probably cruel to speculate going down this road at the moment to be fair.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is one of those cases, where I look at the conclusions thus far reached by the constabulary, and can only see them as utterly unsatisfactory. Either a) someone killed them, and therefore a third party would be sought, b) they killed eachother, in which case there would be evidence that they had struggled with one another, fibres and flesh epithelial evidence on clothing, under nails, corresponding defensive wounds and so on, c) one killed the other, and then themselves, which would still at the very least leave the murder weapon and weapon by which they commited suicide at the scene, not to mention blood spatter evidence on the clothes, bodies, and the area around which they were found.

In the case of the younger woman for instance, she was last to actually expire, which means that there is a chance she could have killed her mother and then done for herself, but an examination of the wounds on her body should show pretty distinctly wether they were self inflicted, or inflicted by another person, and indeed would tell examiner and investigator alike, a substantive amount about the culprit, if there was such a person involved. I find it utterly improbable that NO conclusion can be made about the precise sequence of events that lead to these two women dying however. If the indicators are, that the younger killed the elder, and then themselves, or the other way around, then that ought to be made public. It is not in the public interest for these matters to remain unexplained. People need closure on this I am sure, and not just those who knew the pair.

Events like these leave scars on entire communities, the people who had the misfortune to discover the dead woman with her daughter dying beside her for instance, her family, her friends who will all have seen the harrowed look in thier loved ones eye, and been powerless to ease the shock. The foster children, the family of the victims, thier neighbors, friends, postman, milkman, local clergy for all I know, are all going to be devastated. These things are NOT things which communities just shrug off, and the healing process starts with truth, before it arrives at acceptance, and comming to terms with the pain.

Totally unacceptable results so far. I think the local constabulary, or the home office pathologist for that area need a firm kick up the fundament.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It seems to have been partly solved, at least.

www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

A MUM and daughter found dying in a hotel bloodbath had overdosed on painkillers before slashing their arms, sources said yesterday. Margaret McDonough, 52, died on Friday soon after being found with horrific wounds in a budget hotel room.

Her charity worker daughter Nicola, 23, who was found unconscious in a nearby corridor with similar deep slash wounds, lost her fight for life on Monday. Police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths of the two women, who are from Paisley.

A source said last night: “These women suffered horrific injuries to their arms and if the mum had survived she would have had to have her arms amputated they were so bad. “Both arms were slashed from the wrist to the top and her daughter had similar injuries, which stopped at the top of her lower arms. “They had also taken a massive amount of paracetamol.

It is such a terrible tragedy. “No one knows what drove them to this but whatever it was it must have been really bad.” Police are awaiting the results of toxicology tests to confirm that the pair had taken paracetamol.

They would not discuss details of their injuries yesterday. The pair had been reported missing 17 hours before they were discovered with horror injuries at the Premier Inn in Greenock. The alarm was raised when former Lib Dem council candidate Margaret, who also had three grown-up sons, had failed to pick up her foster son from nursery in Paisley.

Officers are asking friends and family about any turbulence in their lives that may be significant.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I don't like to state the 'bl**ding obvious' but if the 'murder' tool/implement was missing then WHO took it? Where is it? What happened to the 'knife'? If they killed eachother then the weapon would still be there, surely?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Ok, so we now know that the pair took painkillers and slashed thier arms from inner elbow to wrist. This is making slightly more sense narratively, at least from the point of view of the incident itself. Now we have to think about cause. For BOTH of them to wish to die, either they had done something terrible, or had seen or been victims of something terrible. There can be no other reason for all this. Margret had been a foster mother, and had a daugher to be proud of, a charity worker and a graduate to boot. By all appearances, with the information that is available, she had everything to live for, and achievements which ought to have given her a reason to live and continue to enjoy.

And speaking of her daughter, Nicola was, as mentioned, a graduate, and a community minded person, a charity worker. Her life thus far had been by all available account, one which showed great promise, and provides no clue as to a reason for her wish to leave her life behind, for a voyage on the sea of souls. This troubles me greatly. Often as not, suicide is undertaken by those who have lost hope, or have become unhinged through substance abuse and the constant rigors of a life half lived or less. But these two lives seemed full, brimming with reasons to continue to live them. Some dark spectre must have come up in thier lives, else these actions would bare no explanation what ever, and there is no way that someone either in the family, or who knew both of them well, doesnt know what shape that spectre took. Someone knows something, and isnt talking, or at least, what they know isnt being reported.

Tragic, and still not explained to a satisfactory degree. God rest them both, and keep them safe.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Detectives yesterday confirmed they are investigating whether there was a double suicide attempt by the mother and daughter. It is a line of inquiry which has emerged after police ruled out an attack by a third party and said the pair were definitely in their hotel room alone.
A source at the Premier Inn in Greenock, where the two women were found, said yesterday officers told her it was a suspected double suicide.
A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: ‘This is part of the investigation and is a line of enquiry we are looking at. Officers are speaking to friends and family to try and understand what has happened in Margaret and Nicola McDonough’ s lives leading up to these events. There are ongoing forensic tests.
‘We do know that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with these deaths and we are still appealing with information.’
Detectives are understood to have asked relatives if the two women were left or right-handed, to ascertain whether their injuries were self-inflicted.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I don't believe it to be a suicide pact. However, I can offer no other ideas and remain curious.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is so tragic for the family as well as the community.

If it was suicide I can't imagine why they wouldn't leave a note for loved ones. They both seemed to be very caring charitable/responsible people.

Leaving family in the lurch just seems out of character. It's possible family knows more than they're revealing.

They went somewhere after checking in and stayed out late. The fact they were only 17 miles from home yet checked into a hotel seems suspect/premeditated.

I live in a rural area, sometimes country people check into motels in the nearby town. They party at local bars/stay in town to avoid driving home.

These two really don't strike me as weekend hell raisers though. With painkillers involved I wonder if it wasn't murder/suicide. Unless a third party is involved one or both must have had serious mental/depression issues. Seems someone close should've noticed something. Strange case.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
A double suicide seems too bizarre, especially without the weapon. It could have been a murder made to look like a double suicide?

Margaret McDonough was involved in politics, so, was she a threat to anyone? Was she for independence in Scotland, or not? What did she stand for politically?

Perhaps Nicola was not supposed to be involved, but just happened to be with her mother at the time of the attack, and the attacker then killed her too?

All my speculations are vague, but I haven't heard anyone, police or media, explain why these types of scenarios are being so easily ruled out. As so many of you have said, without the cutting tool/weapon, the double suicide scenario has a great big gaping hole in it's plausibility. It makes me think we can't even trust the police.

new topics

top topics

join