It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 new diseases could both spark global outbreaks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The new coronavirus and a new bird flu are making headlines.
Both are respiratory infections and both are potentially bad globally.
The article contains a short Q&A:

news.yahoo.com...

Last week, the coronavirus related to SARS spread to France, where one patient who probably caught the disease in Dubai infected his hospital roommate. Officials are now trying to track down everyone who went on a tour group holiday to Dubai with the first patient as well as all contacts of the second patient. Since it was first spotted last year, the new coronavirus has infected 34 people, killing 18 of them. Nearly all had some connection to the Middle East.

At the same time, a new bird flu strain, H7N9, has been infecting people in China since at least March, causing 32 deaths out of 131 known cases.

WHO, which is closely monitoring the viruses, says both have the potential to cause a pandemic — a global epidemic — if they evolve into a form easily spread between people. Here's a crash course in what we know so far about them:

Related coronavirus update thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to this report, there is limited human spread
www.bloomberg.com...

And this article states it may not be necessarily trigger a epidemic...in its current form!
news.yahoo.com...
edit on Mon May 13 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
The new coronavirus and a new bird flu are making headlines.
Both are respiratory infections and both are potentially bad globally.

So if I don't breathe I should be fine right?

Honestly they both sound nasty. I don't like those death rates at all.

Let's hope they stop spreading.

For people who don't believe in evolution, see the post above. Viruses evolve.
edit on 13-5-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

In this undated file image released by the British Health Protection Agency shows an electron microscope image of a coronavirus, part of a family of viruses that cause ailments including the common cold and SARS, which was first identified last year in the Middle East. Two respiratory viruses in different parts of the world have captured the attention of global health officials

2 new diseases _ 1 related to SARS and 1 new bird flu _ could both spark global outbreaks

A lot of fear has been growing these days...just breath and relax.

I just don't think the words "could" and "global outbreak" should be in the same sentence and marketed that way.

Be healthy everybody.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by eisegesis
A lot of fear has been growing these days...just breath and relax.

No no don't breathe. It's a respiratory virus.

Definitely a man made virus.

edit on 13-5-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Just wash your hands and use protection and we'll be fine

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I always get worried living in Vancouver we have a very large Asian population, and I always see them wearing masks. And with a lot of these viruses forming across the pond from me, and so many people coming and going from both areas, it always has me wondering are they wearing the masks cause they fear "me" or are they sick and I should fear them.

Everyday on the way to work the number of masks is increasing, an image that always seems to place worry in my mind.

SaneThinking

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100

don't forget to stock up on Colloidal Silver AND MMS!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Do we ever learn?

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here's an article I found regarding this containing a similar Q&A.

Coronaviruses are fairly fragile, surviving outside the body for only about 24 hours. They are easily destroyed by detergents and cleaning agents. The risk of UK residents contracting infection in the UK is very low.

Link to article

My gut feeling is that this isn't going to be a major global concern as the infection rate is too low.

King

edit on 13/5/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I still can't figure out this washing hand thing. Maybe the companies making antibacterial soap are paying someone to say that it is needed. Those viruses can float around in the air for a long time. They are all over everything, as soon as you touch something they are back. Makes no sense at all. Consumerism at it's finest. Maybe we should all act like Monk with his wipes.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I think they just mean that using the WHO method for hand washing is a way to greatly cut your risks of becoming infected from a disease if you've been touching fomites. The amount of people with illnesses that willingly cough or sneeze without covering their mouth, and/ or wiping disease on other objects is pretty gross to say the least. I was on a train a few weeks back and saw a guy sneeze... what can only be described as a snotball exploded from his nose and landed on his tray... he attempted to wipe it with his bare hand, only to give up and wipe it with his sleeve. He then stood up from his chair to leave the train, touching the tops of most of the aisle seats on the way to the exit.
However, as you rightly point out, with the virus potentially being airbourne over a few feet (possibly more depending on the sneeze and environmental factors), using a mask would be precautionary in areas where infection rates are rapidly increasing.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The vaccine is now ready for production.
Time to create some demand in the market.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Sadly we can commend all we want on the conspiracies behind the diseases going around, but for those that have weakened immune system is nothing to laugh about and something more to worry about.

Like everything in nature if you are a healthy individual with a healthy immune system you can survive an epidemic, but for those that have pre existing conditions is not as easy.

Hopefully this outbreaks will not affect us too much if they reach our nation any time soon.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
As another poster said to me via U2U, I really hope the media is only trying to hype this.

I also agree with that sentiment.

S&F

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Let's not hold our breaths over this. I'll bet 9 times out of 10 it'll sputter out before the end of the year.

*slips condom on nose*
I'm all set!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It's neon green and 'studded for her pleasure'. I must look like the Wicked Witch of the West.

So... now we've got two possible pandemic threats instead of just the Chinese flu. I wonder what the estimates are on how long it could be before they reach the US.

edit on 14-5-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Each year you will notice there is a new bug for us to be worried about. I would suggest this is to enhance pharma revenue as they develop vaccines and other preventative measures to mandate to everyone.

Remember SARS, the other bird flu, etc.

This is the same as blowing up a building and telling people that for protection they need to send you money so you are safe.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I don't think a condom will protect you from a coronavirus.

The worst thing that could happen is for the coronavirus to assimilate drug-resistant 'superbugs' which are common in hospitals. Add a bit of airborne transmission and deadliness and you got something that is worse than terror.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
Each year you will notice there is a new bug for us to be worried about. I would suggest this is to enhance pharma revenue as they develop vaccines and other preventative measures to mandate to everyone.

But this time we getting drug-resistant superbugs that are highly resistant to anything but the most toxic of drugs. The pharma can do nothing about it short of developing a science fiction technology called "Borg nanoprobes" which is probably still decades out of reach and a potentially dangerous technology to toy with like turning people into zombies.

They won't get revenue if their clients are dead. This has gone beyond money-making scheme but a real threat to all of humanity.
edit on 14-5-2013 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join