It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your Neighbour?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Its interesting to note that many people believe in this idea that we should "love our Neighbours"...

Many including myself believe that everyone is "our neighbour"... yet the man that actually gave these words to the world did not mean everyone...

In fact, there is a certain type of person that Jesus didn't seem to care much about at all...

He said we should Love our neighbours... and even love our enemies!

For even our enemies have a certain passion within them...

This reinforces the idea that "YOU get what you Give"

Those that are indifferent to suffering... are not your Neighbours...

But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Do not be indifferent.... Care for your fellow man...

Even if they do not care for you...

edit on 12-5-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My take is its more about you than the others.

Consider all people your neighbor, despite their indifference.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
My take is its more about you than the others.

Consider all people your neighbor, despite their indifference.

I agree completely!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Are you giving weekly sermons here?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax7

LMAO!!

No... I rarely preach...

I just felt the need to post this today...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'm rather liberal in my understanding to include everyone I come into contact with.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Akragon

I'm rather liberal in my understanding to include everyone I come into contact with.

Perhaps...

But keep in mind he let them answer the question... He didn't specify who isn't

I think his answer would have been "everyone is your neighbour"... But the people he was speaking to were trying to find error in his words... So he let them believe what they wanted

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I can't speak for others though. I see nothing wrong with treating everyone I meet as a neighbor.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I just can`t stop laughing lol, neighbour.
edit on 13-5-2013 by WarriorOfLight96 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2013 by WarriorOfLight96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There's much more to this that you may realize. First, the Jews and Samaritans were enemies. The Samaritan in question was a follower of the Way. This is clear because of a few things. First, he anointed the wounds with oil and wine. Oil was to keep the wound from hardening and wine was to disinfect the wound. There are connections in this to Elijah, Moses and Joseph. All three stories (As with all Bible Stories) are connected in a much deeper way than we know. This Youtuber has a good way of bringing these things out. Watch the video. His other video tie these ideas together. And yes, Paul is necessary for us to know any of it.

We are the body of Christ on the road doing His works if we are followers of the way. Romans 12 is the way in a nutshell. Christ came for the sick, not the well.

edit on 13-5-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I look at Jesus' second commandment of love, which of course is, "Love your neighbor as yourself" to mean that we should recognize that none of us are separate from one another, that we all arise in God, in fundamental Unity - i.e., not separate from God and others.

He did not simply say love your neighbor, but rather he also implied that we love our neighbor as our very self, because Jesus was telling us that we are not separate from one another, that fundamentally we are all one in the Unity of God.

So I look at his use of the word "neighbor" to be pointing to this fundamental principle on which we simply can love all. However, I think he used the word "neighbor" perhaps to "soften" the commandment until one recognizes the fundamental principle of Unity, and that ultimately this includes all.

edit on 5/14/2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108
reply to post by Akragon

I look at Jesus' second commandment of love, which of course is, "Love your neighbor as yourself" to mean that we should recognize that none of us are separate from one another, that we all arise in God, in fundamental Unity - i.e., not separate from God and others.

He did not simply say love your neighbor, but rather he also implied that we love our neighbor as our very self, because Jesus was telling us that we are not separate from one another, that fundamentally we are all one in the Unity of God.

So I look at his use of the word "neighbor" to be pointing to this fundamental principle on which we simply can love all. However, I think he used the word "neighbor" perhaps to "soften" the commandment until one recognizes the fundamental principle of Unity, and that ultimately this includes all.

Wouldn't passing by one who is suffering be separating yourself from that person?

if we are all "one"... and all have a connection with God... This would also be separating ones self from God as well...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Originally posted by Akragon
Wouldn't passing by one who is suffering be separating yourself from that person?

if we are all "one"... and all have a connection with God... This would also be separating ones self from God as well...
That certainly sounds right to me. Did you understand something contrary to this in my post?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108
reply to post by Akragon

That certainly sounds right to me. Did you understand something contrary to this in my post?

Not so much... this was the idea behind this thread...

Who is your neighbour...

As the last lines of my OP said... Some are not our "neighbour"... yet I believe we should still love those that don't love us...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I don't really have anything to add to the thread I just wanted to say how much I do enjoy reading your threads akragon. Neighbors imo are just your fellow man that you encounter throughout your life. The message I personally get from this is don't be a douche. It's easy as that. Also these are my neighbors......(yes I'm serious lol these are my real neighbors on the mountain)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

My thanks

Those are some interesting neighbours!

Since I made this thread as a question... I might as well give the answer as well...

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. 30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. 36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Not so much... this was the idea behind this thread...

Who is your neighbour...

As the last lines of my OP said... Some are not our "neighbour"... yet I believe we should still love those that don't love us...

Right. I also mentioned that I think the word "neighbor" actually implies everyone because when one recognizes our prior Unity, we are all neighbors at least fundamentally.

And also, I cannot imagine Jesus saying there are some people we should not love.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bb23108

As per my reply to NuT... Many times he let people answer their own questions...

He asked... who do YOU say I am... and "Who do you say the Christ is?"

The people he was speaking to in this situation were trying to find error in his words...

So he gave them a scenario and let them figure it out for themselves...

He did not say the people that ignored the wounded man were not their neighbours... but the fact that they needed to question "who" was their neighbour... means they already separated themselves... putting themselves higher then whoever isn't their neighbour...

His answer was brilliant... the man said, "the one that showed mercy is our neighbour"... and Jesus said... "then GO and do likewise"

he gave the perfect answer without leading anyone astray

edit on 14-5-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Many times he let people answer their own questions...

...he gave the perfect answer without leading anyone astray
Truly a Spiritual Master with great skillful means!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

Gotta love those neighbors!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join