It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introductions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Something I have only just noticed but lately every new member that creates an introduction thread isn't welcomed anymore by one of the ATS staff...

What happened?

I believe it used to be Sauron welcoming new members and pointing out where the most important stuff (like T&C guidelines, avatar creation etc) could be found.

Johnny Anonymous was the last, I believe, to be assigned with this task but as of late nobody is doing it.

Was it decided that it wasn't necessary anymore or should we be worried and start up a search party for the missing moderator in charge of this task?

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Good question. I've noticed that too. Perhaps they are simply too busy on all other fronts...

I think that having the T&C recommended by a Moderator (in intro) does make an impression.

Overly busy is my guess but I could be wrong. Flagged for input.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I could understand that it's a rather intensive task to address each new introduction especially when you realize they keep coming 24/7. (I guess moderators have to sleep as well)

But I believe you are correct in saying that a moderators emphasizing the importance of the T&C makes for more of an impact.

Peace
edit on 12-5-2013 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I once wrote in someone's intro that a mod would be by shortly with info, and another member wrote me and asked why I didn't just supply it.

The info is out there for everyone to read and use.

Maybe we should start doing that.

Or maybe not.

I'm kinda wishy-washy until the caffeine kicks in.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I used to say that in introduction posts as well.

I guess we could all do it but apparently, now, nobody is doing it. Maybe we should set up a schedule...

"Introduction-duty for every experienced member, participation not voluntary."

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I too have noticed, however I am not comfortable with supplying the standard Mod info. I think they need to do it. A noob is gonna feel better and maybe listen better if it comes from a Mod. I am willing to help noobs with just about anything, but I have no desire to act like a Mod. I miss Johnny
He was witty.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
SemperFortis to the rescue!!!

Latest introduction

Problem solved.

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Not quite sure if SemperFortis posted that welcome with the intention to address ever other introduction thread or that he is giving us a template to pick it up for there?

A little feedback from a moderator would be highly appreciated.

Do you need us to help out with this?

Peace

JAK

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
No member of staff has ever had to post anything in in any forum, Sauron and Johnny Anonymous offered all they did through personal choice.

Any useful link or welcoming pointer can be offered to a new member by anyone in the community.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
No member of staff has ever had to post anything in in any forum, Sauron and Johnny Anonymous offered all they did through personal choice.

How were we to know that? Respect for those guys for taking up the task.

Any useful link or welcoming pointer can be offered to a new member by anyone in the community.

Will do...

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I've noticed this too.

I have seen people offer information only to get crap because they were acting like a mod! Silly huh?

Personally I don't think there are enough mods anymore, I mean active mods. There are plenty of mods but if you look at the main page you can see who is online and most of the time there are only a few. I think mods should be people who actively participate in the forum and are on here often be it reading or posting. I know I see who is on here a lot and that is only because I am on here every day.. lol Sometimes a mod pops up I never knew existed and I"m like ok why are they a mod if they aren't even actively participating on the site?! I know mods don't get paid but still it helps when the mod is on the site to see the day to day dealings. I wish the UFO/Alien forum had more mods in it.

I thought it was nice when a mod said hello to new members and provided the rules and information.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I didn't do an introduction when I joined.

I think it's completely unnecessary on an internet debating forum.

People will get to know you if you've got something to say.

But if they don't, they don't; what's the biggie?

As for information on T&Cs and suchlike, anyone with the most basic intellect and computer nous will be able to navigate the site adequately to find out what they want, as they will for any other site.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well, I tried it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let's see what happens!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yay, me too

abovetopsecret.com

Now just an afternoon of figuring out this &%$# bbcode and it could actually look like something...

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

it is about time you were promoted beezer

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
reply to post by beezzer

it is about time you were promoted beezer

I'm all set to be a Walmart Greeter!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

ooh that sexy free uniform

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The Introduction Forum is to introduce new Members to the Membership as a whole, not specifically to Staff. The welcome to ATS that I post from time to time, is simply something I try and do when I have time in between real life work, school and modding

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I always thought it was a staff-only thing to provide that info, but I'm more than willing to throw those links out there. I like and try to greet new members when I can.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
"Back in the day" myself, Mechanic 32, GradyPhilpott, we all had our own posts for new members. It was pretty neat actually. All with our own style and giving out helping links.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join