It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama urges graduates to seek out people with different beliefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
(Title shortened for space)

I place this outside political forums because, to my pleasant surprise, I find nothing political in what this story says about the speech she gave. It strikes me as some of the best advice, and evenly delivered, that someone in her position can give that audience. In some ways, I learned more over my span of time, living in a protest camp, than I did across the better part of a lifetime with selective association of friends.

RICHMOND, Ky. — First lady Michelle Obama urged Eastern Kentucky University graduates on Saturday night to reach out to people with different political beliefs, saying the country would benefit from the conversations.

“If you’re a Democrat, spend some time talking to a Republican,” Mrs. Obama told about 600 education, business and technology graduates at the third and final commencement ceremony of the day. “And if you’re a Republican, have a chat with a Democrat. Maybe you’ll find some common ground, maybe you won’t.”

The first lady suggested that they visit senior centers to benefit from the experiences of people with plenty of “life experience under their belts.” She also pointed them to religious congregations different than their own, saying they might hear something in a sermon “that stays with you.” And she predicted they would learn something if they reached out “with an open mind and an open heart.”
(Source: Washington Post)

It bears mention here that the camp I was in for that period of national protest happened to be next to where Mrs Obama and Biden were to see some games of the World Series in 2011.

I missed it, for various reasons, but heard from several when I got back on site later that morning, she had walked around and through the Occupy camp. No cameras...No big show and nothing said. Just her and a couple serious looking gentlemen in the hours prior to Sunrise when only Safety people were really even awake. She's not someone to mistake in appearance though. The men who relayed that to me were ones I could and did come to trust with my life. I have never doubted their judgment on that.

She absolutely didn't have to do that...and I'll bet she gave her Secret Service detail absolute fits by choosing to. It made a statement I haven't forgotten though. She really cared enough to at least see it all for herself.

So, however anyone else takes her speech, as reported here? I believe she was sincere in her sentiments. I might disagree with the vast majority both her and her husband believe and stand for. However, credit where credit is due in all things, and this is a moment due, I believe.

Just my two cents on something I wanted to share this quiet morning.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'll give kudos anyway for the change in rhetoric.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

I know it's hard to really say anything they do at that level isn't political in some way, but on this? Well.. I just imagine myself in the audience if she happened to be giving that speech at my College. Not likely for Southern Missouri...but still. I wouldn't feel like I got campaigned to or like she was talking to cameras and a viewing audience instead of those physically there.

Isn't that how most of these kinds of speeches sound? Almost like the people actually there to hear it are just props for another stump speech. I figured it was worth mention that this one hadn't come across that way. A nice thing to find.

join