It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Does Congress, Secertary of State have the right to give money (Foreign Aide) to other nations?

I went read the Constitution and the Articels (Bill of Rights) and I could not find any where anything saying about giving money to other contries.

Articel 8 is the closest thing I seen that relates to money.

Section 8. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

The reason I am asking this is for the last few decades I have heard and read about all the money we give other nations for some reason of another. But with the latest $100 Million being promised to Syria made me look at wha law gives those folks in DC the right to give away our money.

Talking with the guys at work we all agreeded that " We the people" should be the ones that decide where our money goes.

We the people could make it simple, create at least 100,000 jobs and hold monthly votes on spending, anything that deals with the budget, I think we as a nation could do better with our finances if we were all involved instead of letting those in DC make the decisions for us.

So ATS, what law would stop something like this, what law gives them the right to hand out money freely.

What do you think?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

There is NO SUCH THING as the RIGHT TO GIVE MONEY.

If you are looking at the Constitution you are looking on the Wrong place.

I think it has more to do with "Executive Decisions".

Those in the Position Decide what is best for the Countries Wallet.

For example a couple of weeks ago when President Obama went to Israel, he took with him $500 Million dollars and GIFTED that to Radical Islamists. Who made that decision I wonder? Well, .. It was someone who has control of OUR Wallet. What makes it stand out so badly is that it is right smack-dab in the middle of these Sequester Cuts.

I agree that there whould be No One Person that has the ability to make the decision. However, if it was left to a Vote it would NEVER Pass. That is why someone has to Strong Arm OUR Wallet. Because apparently we know Nothing of Diplomacy.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 19KTankCommander

The reason I am asking this is for the last few decades I have heard and read about all the money we give other nations for some reason of another. But with the latest $100 Million being promised to Syria made me look at wha law gives those folks in DC the right to give away our money.

Talking with the guys at work we all agreeded that " We the people" should be the ones that decide where our money goes.

What do you think?

The constitution says "provide for the common defence". And some people think that by helping other nations, we'd avoid having to defend against them. After all, if they are friends, because the US gives them money, then it's less likely the US will need to go to war with them for "National Security".

Doesn't always work though. Look at Iraq. US gave Saddam lots of things. And still had to go to war.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Seems messed up giving away money to foreign targets but you should get it back soon

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You're quoting Article I there, not Article VIII (which does not exist--after VII, they started tacking on amendments). Anyway, Article II, Section 2 gives the President the authority to make treaties with the Senate's consent, and treaties have always included the idea of giving something up, whether it be money or land or anything else. There is also the common defence power in Article I, Section 8, discussed above. That's one of the rationales used by the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Considering how western multinationals in general, and US multinationals in particular spend their time economically raping the rest of the world, it seems only fair that the state to which these entities pay (little) taxes, should give some of it back, don't you think ?

Don't worry. The US takes far more than it gives back.
edit on 13-5-2013 by Ismail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Only Congress can release funds for anything.

The President or any of his cabinet people do not directly control anything to do with funds. The President could not buy a big mac if congress didn't give him the money.

As for us all having a say well that's just not possible. We all don't agree on everything so working through a Congress, or appointed body, is really the only alternative.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Foreign aid and the dispensary of monies fall under two branches really. First, the implied Executive powers conferred in Article II and the second being that Congress has to appropriate the monies via legislation.

While the President can surely call for aid to be administered, it is still in the hands of Congress to appropriate such funds from the treasury. Sadly, much of this has been hidden or tucked away in bills not even pertaining to the intent of providing aid to a foreign nation.

new topics

top topics

join