It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before the Bikini: Rare Vintage Beach Photos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
I cannot get enough of the old school photographs and the history that accompanies them.

Here is a link to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of older photographs...

I hope you all enjoy, www.shorpy.com...

S&F
Regards, Iwinder
Iwinder, oh man, you ROCK brother!

I adore vintage still photographs - and the shorpy site is the friggin' Mecca of vintage stills!
If I can give you a thousand stars, I'd do it, create a fake account and give you a thousand more for that link!

Thanks again for this thread guys...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth

Originally posted by Iwinder
I cannot get enough of the old school photographs and the history that accompanies them.

Here is a link to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of older photographs...

I hope you all enjoy, www.shorpy.com...

S&F
Regards, Iwinder
Iwinder, oh man, you ROCK brother!

I adore vintage still photographs - and the shorpy site is the friggin' Mecca of vintage stills!
If I can give you a thousand stars, I'd do it, create a fake account and give you a thousand more for that link!

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did and do now, It is updated every day and usually that includes about 5-7 vintage pictures.

Did I mention that pictures do not lie? Only if our history books included these kinds of pictures.

Believe it or not I found "shorpys" about 3 years ago or so and it took me ages to view every photo and read all the comments but I did just that.

To this day I still feel badly for Shorpy......what a life slugging coal just to live and not a shoe to be worn.

Regards, Iwinder

Thanks again for this thread guys...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

I cannot recall now but I do believe that the site named after Shorpy...has his profile in the first 10 pages or so.....

Brought a tear to my eye and I am or at least think I am a tough guy.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I saw this article the other day and I'm so glad you created a thread on it. I just love these pictures! I can't help imagining what it would be like to live in those times. My...how things have changed!

My favorite swimsuit is my vintage style red swimdress. No matter where I am, I always get so many compliments over it (from both men and women). There truly is something to the whole "less is more" idea. It's a very sexy suit without showing everything off.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I love old pics like this --- but this one's got my curiosity for sure!

So..... am I the only one who noticed that little girl had a smoke in her hand?

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by openeyeswideshut

I love old pics like this --- but this one's got my curiosity for sure!

So..... am I the only one who noticed that little girl had a smoke in her hand?
nope --- I thought it was a pretty alarming pic --- hence my "curiosity" comment in my initial post.
edit on 5/8/2013 by the_philth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by B1rd1nFL1ghT
I saw this article the other day and I'm so glad you created a thread on it. I just love these pictures! I can't help imagining what it would be like to live in those times. My...how things have changed!

My favorite swimsuit is my vintage style red swimdress. No matter where I am, I always get so many compliments over it (from both men and women). There truly is something to the whole "less is more" idea. It's a very sexy suit without showing everything off.
I'm a nut for all things Victorian (mid 1800s early 1900s) and Atomic Age (50s era), especially automobiles, architecture and fashion... so when I see old pics like these, one of the first things I notice is the fashion of the era.

To me, fashion says a lot about an era and its people - which is why I'm fascinated by these old stills. Not to mention how crisp and clear the photos were back then with those old bellows cameras.

And the swimsuits the gals wore back then were the bees knees - man, such a different time and mindset, right?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

My grandparents gave me several old pictures from when they were children. If my house were on fire, they would be the first thing I would try to save (after family of course). I would love to share some on this thread, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it while respecting their identity.

When I look at their pictures, I'm reminded of how people in those times carried themselves with such class and dignity (for the most part). It's not just the cars, fashion and other vintage items, but the mentality of it all, is what I'd truly appreciate in modern society.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by B1rd1nFL1ghT

I agree with you all the way!

I've had discussions in the past with a gf of mine regarding the mentality of "back in the day"...

Even though things were tough back then, it seems as if things were simpler. I s'pose it was that whole "Ignorance Is Bliss" to the general collective!

I envy families that still have their identity easily accessible via photo's (I only have a few) - I was talking to my mom recently about our heritage, and she mentioned that she still has a bunch of old family photo's (that my sisters always try to steal when they visit her - but my mama's still got her mad Ninja skills), and still has one of her grandfather from back in the late 1800's!

I told her I remembered that picture as a young pup when my granny had it hanging on her wall... I described it to her and she confirmed... wow... what a trippy feeling that I recalled that picture from the late 70s.

The music of the era was great too!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

That's funny! Sounds like me
Everytime I visit my family I'm always trying to steal their pictures. They've all promised to pass them on to me. I've made it very clear, all I want for my inheritance are the family photos. (and all their vintage jewlery, lol)

My grandmother has gone through the daunting task of writing a little note on each picture, labeling who is in the picture, how we are related, and the approximate date. I think I may have inherited my obsession with pictures from her
One day I'll have the chance to pass all of these treasures to my girls. And if they damage them, I'll haunt them for it, lol !

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Bikini is greek ofcourse and our women have bikinis for thousand of years... When all others lived in the caves, we had bikini... lol

Here is a proof from 500bc. Older than the age of Megas Alexandros.

link

and the one bellow is much after, during roman empire in Siselia... link

edit on 15-8-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: openeyeswideshut
It might have been a sweet made to look like a cigarette.
They were on sale when I was a child.
They were sold in boxes which looked like cigarette packets. They even had "tips".
I must have eaten quite a few packets myself.
They were banned in more recent decades because campaigners complained that they encouraged children to take up real smoking.

edit on 15-8-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Phwoar ! Knees

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join