It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Begginer's Guide on How to Purchase a Self Defense Handgun (Must See Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
With thousands of self-defense handguns on the market today most folks have a daunting decision when picking the right one. In this series we will not recommend a particular model but will show you how to decided for yourself. We aim to arm you with the knowledge necessary to make a gun purchasing decision you will not regret.

In part 1 we focus on choosing the proper platform and give you the criteria to begin the evaluation for your purchase. Suprisingly, your decision will NOT be based on caliber.

Stay Tuned for part 2 when we talk about the features that differ from gun to gun, sights, safeties, SA vs. DA, etc

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Whichever one you choose is worthless without ammo. Good luck finding any unless you wanna pay big bucks online.

Gs

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GermanShep

Ammo is becoming more and more available with every passing day. It is still in short supply, but it is becoming available if you keep an eye on the popular sites. Cabelas has also been getting in a steady supply of ammunition in the last couple of weeks.

On topic. My EDC is usually a .380. I have a Ruger LCP, Bersa, and a Keltec. I like the .380 because it is easy to manage and easy to conceal. In the winter however I do carry one of my mid framed 9mm's because the layers make it easier to conceal. I have been looking at getting a Ruger LCR 357mag revolver for EDC as well. It is a little wider, but still pretty simple to conceal.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
reply to post by GermanShep

Ammo is becoming more and more available with every passing day. It is still in short supply, but it is becoming available if you keep an eye on the popular sites. Cabelas has also been getting in a steady supply of ammunition in the last couple of weeks.

On topic. My EDC is usually a .380. I have a Ruger LCP, Bersa, and a Keltec. I like the .380 because it is easy to manage and easy to conceal. In the winter however I do carry one of my mid framed 9mm's because the layers make it easier to conceal. I have been looking at getting a Ruger LCR 357mag revolver for EDC as well. It is a little wider, but still pretty simple to conceal.

I am actually going to do a seperate video on concealed carry weapons as a different set of considerations apply.
edit on 4-5-2013 by LibertysTeeth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It is so true that comfort and fit is most important.

Having never held a gun before in my life, I was trying out different handguns. A few of the nicer ones my husband liked were very heavy and uncomfortable for me. With more than one, the grip was so large and unwieldy and the springs were so tight I couldn't even release the safety or chamber a round. The most comfortable one was a 22 with a small grip but a nice long barrel. Maybe not the most powerful weapon, but comfortable, accurate, easy to aim, easy to shoot, and affordable to practice with. It would be my personal weapon of choice (out of the few I tried) for in-home self defense.
edit on 5-5-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
It is so true that comfort and fit is most important.

Having never held a gun before in my life, I was trying out different handguns. A few of the nicer ones my husband liked were very heavy and uncomfortable for me. With more than one, the grip was so large and unwieldy and the springs were so tight I couldn't even release the safety or chamber a round. The most comfortable one was a 22 with a small grip but a nice long barrel. Maybe not the most powerful weapon, but comfortable, accurate, easy to aim, easy to shoot, and affordable to practice with. It would be my personal weapon of choice (out of the few I tried) for in-home self defense.
edit on 5-5-2013 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

That would be the best gun for you then! If you cannot even rack the slide on the others they would be useless to you.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Part 2 should come out tomorrow night.

top topics

join