It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SC Wants to be drone testing site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

SC WANTS to be drone testing site

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - South Carolina is 1 of about three dozen states that want to become a testing site for using unmanned drones for domestically. MORE Monday at 5 The Post and Courier of Charleston reports the Federal Aviation Administration plans to conduct tests at six locations to determine how drones operate in different environments.

How many environments are there in the US.. really? What are the other 35 states? I find it shocking so many states are stepping on board with this so quickly.

FAA spokesman Les Dorr said the agency cannot reveal the identities of the 50 applicants for testing, or how many applicants each state has.

Why all the secrecy unless there is something to hide? Nothing suspicious about that right?

Some South Carolina lawmakers have filed bills to restrict the use of drones.

Beaufort Sen. Tom Davis worries the drones might be misused.

YA THINK?

I certainly hope the bills don't meet a political brick wall. I DO NOT like the idea of drones flying around my state much less "Want" it, like the title of the article suggests.They also suggest that the drones are to be used for search and rescue, but I just can't see how the temptation of such a powerful surveillance system would not be misused/abused, not to forget to mention the possibilities of weaponizing them.

Source

X

edit on 3-5-2013 by ExhibitEx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ExhibitEx

I live in SC. We have tremendous unemployment and this would be very beneficial to our state.

I'm not happy about it, but it sure would put food on the table and maybe bring about a reuse of the many closed military bases that are scattered about SC.

Its a dilemma, but don't post that joke...

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

It's going to happen, thousands of drones in the sky. That was a major goal when the FAA Reform Act of 2012 was passed. This news is just a part of the process.

More at FAA.gov [here]

Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Test Site Selection Process Commences February 14, 2013 – The FAA has released a Screening Information Request (SIR) on the FAA Contracting Opportunities website which commences the selection process for six UAS Test Sites as required by the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. In conjunction with the UAS SIR release, the FAA will also publish a Request for Comments (RFC) in the Federal Register to solicit public input for the development of a privacy approach as it relates to the operation of the UAS Test Sites. It is expected that this Federal Register posting (FAA-2013-0061) will follow the SIR release by a few days.

Enjoy your drones USA!

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

i bet Sen. Lindsey Graham has his fingers in the bid

the Drone program that tracks known persons-of-interest would sure be tested in the upstate cities of Spartanberg that is known as 'Sparkle-City' because of the mountains of meth thats cooked up there....

a good project would be tracking all the drug dealers as a proxy for terror cells in the USA metro areas

besides there are several high priority nuclear targets just in the Savannah River weapons building venues that could use a good dose of 24-7 surveillance operations beyond what is likely done presently without 'Drone' technology
edit on 4-5-2013 by St Udio because: sp ck

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I do agree that drones can be used for such things. Like the protection of nuclear targets, and bringing down meth labs. I can only hope it remains to be used in this way. I understand the premise behind them, just not 100% convinced how they can be used domestically at tax payers expense in the name of security.

edit on 4-5-2013 by ExhibitEx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight

I live in SC. We have tremendous unemployment and this would be very beneficial to our state.

I'm not happy about it, but it sure would put food on the table and maybe bring about a reuse of the many closed military bases that are scattered about SC.

Its a dilemma, but don't post that joke...

Any money from testing will disappear into state funded programs, like "limiting food stamp recipients to healthy food (no junk foods)" instead of funding REAL issues. After all, there's nothing more important in SC than making sure that poor people eat right. Well at least the poor people will be thin, right?

As far as creating jobs, I am unsure of that one.. how many blue collar / non-military workers would end up with a job from drone testing? Serious question.

Just something to consider.
edit on 4-5-2013 by ExhibitEx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So they want to use drones, but not to protect the border? Wow, that makes sense. Don't want those drones running the border catching the illegals sneaking in, better for use on law abiding citizens in the U.S.

Fantastic, so glad no one is tired of the people in DC yet. It will only get better

Raist

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Im in S.C. ........lol but I live on the beach. Its a melting pot here where I am but drive twenty minutes inland and its a bunch of idiots all the way to the west coast . I agree with the guy above, use it on the borders, its quiet here in S.C. Nothing going on, leave us that way.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I don't even lock my car doors here, maybe in Chaleston, but I NEVER lock my car. Ive never been shot at, have never seen a gang member, there are lots of drugs in every state not just here, we aren't a prime terrorist target, the largest building we have is the house of blues haha,,we did have a rapist busted down the street but he had just moved here from north Carolina, maybe drones out over the ocean would be ok, I don't care for them over me.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazztrance
I don't even lock my car doors here, maybe in Chaleston, but I NEVER lock my car. Ive never been shot at, have never seen a gang member, there are lots of drugs in every state not just here, we aren't a prime terrorist target, the largest building we have is the house of blues haha,,we did have a rapist busted down the street but he had just moved here from north Carolina, maybe drones out over the ocean would be ok, I don't care for them over me.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you won't be the only ones with drones over you. They will be in every state, so you won't be one of the few states with them -- just one of the few states who will get them first!

It's your government representatives looking out for you, keeping you safe. You got a problem with that?

new topics

top topics

join