It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May Day protest in Seattle arrest made

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
blogs.seattletimes.com...
QUOTE:
UPDATE AT 8:27 P.M.: Police are now using their public-address system to tell the protesters to disperse or they face arrest.

UPDATE AT 8:22 P.M.: Capt. Chris Fowler, the incident commander, said police are deploying pepper spray canisters to disperse the crowd.

“It’s a safety issue,” Fowler said.

Crowd continues to head east on Olive, toward Capitol Hill.

PDATE AT 8:12 P.M.: Police are now herding protesters east on Olive Way. Police using flash-bangs to move the crowd. Objects, including a skateboard, are being thrown at police.

Police continue to use pepper spray to clear the crowd. END QUOTE:

I have not seen this reported on MSN maybe I missed it?
The pictures that are posted in the article seem like it is a big deal

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
MSM journalists/stations get flack from above when reporting on "disgruntlings" among the masses. Can't have people rising up or anything, ya know? Might be contagious!

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
thanks for posting this. you reminded me i was watching the may day protests in ny earlier today.

occupywallst.org...

currently prodcasting seattle
edit on 1-5-2013 by Sinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In the old days the channel would break in with a news flash about protest...Now if I had not heard it on the radio I would not have known, Same with OWS which hardly got a word except on youtube and some blogs when it first started.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
blogs.seattletimes.com...
UPDATE AT 8:48 P.M.: A window at Pine and Broadway has been shattered as protesters head up Capitol Hill. The crowd has dwindled.

One protester is blaming Seattle police for inciting the violence.

Jordan Eisen, 23, who works at Seattle Central CC, called the police conduct absurd.

“They’re making this into a war zone when it’s not,” he said.

He said last year people the protesters sparked the violence. This year, the cops did it.

“If you’re in a crowd and you’re surrounded by police in riot gear you get defensive,” he said.
UPDATE AT 9:23 P.M.: Seattle police say one officer was injured when he was hit by an object that was thrown near Minor and Pine shortly after 8 p.m. The extent of the officer’s injuries was not immediately known.

A total of 11 adults and two juveniles have been arrested, police said.

A police official said officers began making arrests after they were pelted with “boulders,” rocks and bottles.

UPDATE AT 9:16 P.M.: Some people on Capitol Hill are cleaning up the mess left behind by the protesters/vandals.

UPDATE AT 8:56 P.M.: Protesters set up a blockade of overturned newspaper racks and trash cans at East Pine Street and Harvard Avenue. A lot of trash in the street.

Police continue to push the mob. Several windows on the Walgreens at Pine and Broadway have been shattered
edit on 1-5-2013 by 727Sky because: .....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I live in downtown Seattle...and it was like a mini war zone; the police in Seattle were not playing...any violence and whoever was going down.

What happens is that people that don't even live in Seattle travel here to cause problems during some of these protest marches; and of course that is very annoying.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Here is a really good online newspaper article from (The Seattle Times)...

seattletimes.com...

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

In the wake of a May Day melee that ended with 17 people arrested and eight police officers injured downtown, Seattle police say they’re reviewing video, photographs and other evidence to investigate “all criminal activity” that occurred during the event..

Thanks for posting the link If some of the blog reports are true hope they investigate the police actions also.
edit on 2-5-2013 by 727Sky because: some

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Using flash bangs to move the crowd? Thats despicable. That is intent to incite violence, plain and simple.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Actually acording to the RT article something new has been added to the flash bang grenade...pepper spray is now part of the bang.....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Actually acording to the RT article something new has been added to the flash bang grenade...pepper spray is now part of the bang.....

Yeah, I have heard about those, they are basically teargas canisters with a flash.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
wait... why are they protesting?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
wait... why are they protesting?
Mayday. happens every year. It's an anticapitalist thing.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by 727Sky

I live in downtown Seattle...and it was like a mini war zone; the police in Seattle were not playing...any violence and whoever was going down.

What happens is that people that don't even live in Seattle travel here to cause problems during some of these protest marches; and of course that is very annoying.

I've seen you around the boards and didn't know you were a Washingtonian!

For those saying that the MSM "ignored" this, this was pretty much the only thing on Seattle area stations last night. And Caladonea is correct - just like last year, there were a whole lot of anarchists there that don't live here. They just come up for the ignorant destruction "party". And as was covered by many news stations, the police didn't start this - they were being pelted with rocks, bottles, pieces of asphalt, etc. Even the people from the earlier protest march were saying that these anarchists did not in any way represent the protesters or their message - they were only there to destroy property and provoke the police. As I was watching last night, there were even innocent people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time who were attacked by this ignorant and immature mob. They literally swarmed a van with a family in it that must have taken a wrong turn and started kicking it and throwing things at it...they barely got away from the mob.

What the hell is the message in that? That there are some bored, stupid people who crave senseless destruction and violence? What do they expect to accomplish with that anyway? In my not so humble opinion, there were far too few arrests and....well, whatever. I guess you have to have a 4chan mentality to think this sort of thing is "cool" or productive in any way.

new topics

top topics

join