It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Due to ObamaCare, Nation's Largest Movie Theater Chain Cuts Employee Hours

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I know more about it than you will ever know. Trust me. I have run 2 different successful businesses and
D guess what, I was able to pay my employees a decent wage and never regretted it. Two of them keep in touch and its been over 27 years. I guess I must have done something right. That why I know your assertion that it can't be done is nonsense.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Let's see, they're the largest chain of movie theaters?

How much money do they rake in every year?

I'm getting a little frustrated with seeing bigger businesses that clearly can afford healthcare (but don't want to because it cuts into their profits) blaming Obamacare for cutting employee hours. It's a problem they could fix somehow but it's easier for them to blame the government.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011

I know more about it than you will ever know. Trust me. I have run 2 different successful businesses

I guess a French word is in order. It's "touche".

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Regal Cinemas:

en.wikipedia.org...

Gross revenue $2,6 billion dollars:

Net income: $43 million dollars.

In business, net income - also referred to as the bottom line, net profit, or net earnings - is an entity's income minus expenses for an accounting period

en.wikipedia.org...

So gross revenue less operating expenses= net income.

Yep some people really have no clue how business is ran.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Do you run a business or do you just snuggle up to those who do?

Regal Cinemas isn't a small business struggling to get by under the oppressive Obamacare fines. They're more than capable of thriving. They just don't wish to.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Do you run a business or do you just snuggle up to those who do?

What does that have to do with the topic?

Regal Cinemas isn't a small business struggling to get by under the oppressive Obamacare fines. They're more than capable of thriving. They just don't wish to.

Those financial figures say other wise spending all but 43 million says that company is on the verge of collapse especially the continued trend for other means of getting media these days.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Movie theaters like Regal aren't the only ones cutting back hours. My wife's law firm is doing the same thing because they will be fined for offering insurance other than Obamacare. There, everyone almost if full time. So I know it may not impact many regal theater employees, but there are senior managers and other companies this is still hurting.

I agree partially with what someone said on here that jobs and government should not offer insurance but it is a nice perk when considering jobs. People don't only consider pay for job but benefits like pension as well.

Too bad I knew this would happen and I am just waiting on everything to collapse on itself.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

When you tell me what this line has to do with the subject

Yep some people really have no clue how business is ran.

I will tell you what my line has to do with the subject.

Please stay on topic.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What really bad is that big business wants to work thier employees as hard as possible for as low a wage as they can... Then they complain when those people cant afford to buy thier products or sevices.... Which means that their greed tells them to fire more people and pay them less... Then they complain when those people cant buy their products or services.... Then their greed tells them to fire more people and pay them less.....

Corporate greed is eating itself from the inside out.

Of course all this is obamas fault... If they cant get 6 figure salaries and drive their expensive sports cars to pick up drugs to snort off of hookers everyday then whats the point of living?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Yeah well the topic isn't the usual "corporations are just greedy" tho some like to think it is.

A business that generates 2.6 billion dollars, but only nets 43 million can't afford Obama care.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Still not buying that baloney.

I can remember when some of these employers threatened to fire workers who voted for Obama. Very pathetic.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Firstly, your taking your facts from 'FOXNEWS'?..... Scorcha Fal is more reputable.

Second,

Regal Group - Wikipedia
Revenue US$ 2.682 billion (2011)
Net income US$ 43.4 million (2011)
Website www.regmovies.com

then from your article

announced that thousands of employees will have their work hours cut -- as a direct result of the added cost of the new ObamaCare mandates that become effective later this year.

what does this mean?

That this story is an absolute load of crap. This company could afford the cost increase, however, they chose to cut some peoples hours (to save a $) then go on news and trumpet how Obama is ruining the world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Obama apologist. I hate him as much as I hate GWBush, but there' is an absolutely pathetic attempt on this board, and on fox news to put every single ounce of blame for the worlds problems since 1823 at Obama's feet.

If your going to have a go at the man atleast do it for something with some substance, instead of being a parrott for fox news.

edit on 16-4-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Nice to see how corporate greed always gets a free pass from some folks.

Nice to see that like always leftwingers can't put blame where it is really due...
Hey...as far as I'm concerned, this is all crazy talk. I pay about $400 a year to the Province as a health tax. I also pay the requisite payroll taxes etc. My cancer cure cost me $32 out of pocket.

Ohhh...health care will put Corporate America out of business!!! Sounds like a serious case of rectal/cranial inversion to me. Why do so many Americans rush forward to defend those who are screwing them the worst?

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Something I haven’t seen addressed on ATS in regards to companies moving full time employees to part time, is that if a company has 50 or more full time employees or 100 or more part time employees, benefits must be provided. So what benefit to a company is it to move full time positions to part time positions? Has anyone else read of this?

www.nytimes.com...

In addition, the administration expressed concern that some employers might try to evade the new requirements by firing and rehiring employees, manipulating their work hours or using temporary staffing agencies. The rules include several provisions to prevent such abuse.
*SNIP*

The new rules apply to employers that have at least 50 full-time employees or an equivalent combination of full-time and part-time employees. A full-time employee is a person employed on average at least 30 hours a week. And 100 half-time employees are considered equivalent to 50 full-time employees.

Thus, the government said, an employer will be subject to the new requirement if it has 40 full-time employees working 30 hours a week and 20 half-time employees working 15 hours a week.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah it's a bit funny that some blame the legislation, as opposed to the greedy business who doesn't want to put a dent in their 30% profit margin..

Amazing what some people think is ok huh?

~Tenth

Would that be the profits of the movie theater chain....or the huge profits that will result in obamacare going into effect?
The BigPharma, Insurance Companies, corporate hospitals and the like who will be the ONLY beneficiaries of this alleged health-care plan

The US citizens will not be liking this plan...another nail in the coffin of the middle class...who at this point is starting to gasp for air.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
It's amazing to me how regular hard working people will continue to support corporations that have time and time again have shown the only thing they value is profit and greed. These corporations have rode the wave of success on the backs of their workers. Years back, many corporations demanded loyalty by their work force, yet their workers were the first to be on the cutting block instead of salaries of upper management and over paid CEO's.

They would lay-off workers and at the same time CEO's and upper management would be awarded salary bonuses. Talk about a slap in the face! The strength of this country came on the backs of hard working Americans that produced quality products unsurpassed by any industrial nation. That quality has declined immensely due to the greed of corporations looking for bigger profits and cheaper labor over seas.

The "poor business owner" has taken advantage of skilled labor in this country long enough. Don't value your workers, you don't deserve to be in business. Slavery and sweat shops went out a long time ago. Treat your workers with respect and value and watch your business prosper.

The same people who talk about the bank bail outs are the same people who shed tears for corporations that don't pay a dime in taxes, make billions in profits, lobby against raising minimum wages and breaking unions.
Let's not even talk about corporations who take out life insurance policies on workers who they think will die at an early age. The insurance is even written describing the insured as "peasant life" insurance. Die an early death and your company makes a hundred thousand towards company profits. Walmart is just one of those billion dollar profit companies who purchase life insurance on some of their workers.

Yeah, so all you peasants keep feeling sorry for corporations who have to lose a small percentage of their profits to help you afford to visit a doctor. The years of standing on your feet, constant lifting, or nerve damage due to repetitive motions for all the years you devoted for corporate profits and greed, just doesn't justify a company to invest in your healthcare.

Lets wake-up people, you talk about corruption in government, the banking industry, government, but you close your eyes to corporations who use us like sponges and spit us out when we cut into their holy profits. Give me a break!

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
25 is now the max at GameStop for part time employees that were previously working 38. Put a lot of people in terrible situations.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Nice to see how corporate greed always gets a free pass from some folks.

This isn't just corporations... Small private businesses will be doing the same. I know of several small business owners who will be employing part time workers as opposed to full time workers just so they don't have to pay into the system. And its entirely thanks to this bastardized law that was shoved down the American peoples throats!

This is what happens when bad legislation happens. The business community responds in ways that will protect their interests. Don't like it? Don't get a job. Welcome to the part-time economy.
edit on 16-4-2013 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
DO NOT BLAME Obama..

Blame the greedy upper management of the company.

If Obama raised the minimum wage to 20$, which is should be to cover cost of inflation and what not, and people started to lay people off.. would you blame him then?

Yes! Raising the minimum wage would increase the costs of all goods and services being purchased rendering the "raise" moot and leading to even more inflation.

The min wage has been basically the same since Reagan was in office but the cost of living kept going up. Now explain the higher inflation and costs. Because by what you said prices shouldn't have risen seeing how wages didn't go up.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

DO NOT BLAME Obama..

Blame the greedy upper management of the company.

If Obama raised the minimum wage to 20$, which is should be to cover cost of inflation and what not, and people started to lay people off.. would you blame him then?

The min wage has been basically the same since Reagan was in office but the cost of living kept going up. Now explain the higher inflation and costs. Because by what you said prices shouldn't have risen seeing how wages didn't go up.

Minimum wage is not the standard wage of the United States. The US actually has the highest wage, both in nominal, and disposable terms.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the US, the average worker earns more than countries that have higher minimum wage standards, like Australia. Yet Australia has higher living expenses than the US does...So businesses are expected to pay higher minimum wages, which has resulted in price inflation across the board...

Not all this price inflation is because of a higher minimum wage. Some of it is based upon regulations, supply and demand, and distance, etc. But you can't be srs when you say that a higher minimum wage will not result in increase in prices. Just a simple look at commodities tells us otherwise.
edit on 16-4-2013 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join