It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man commits suicide with gun at NRA Sprint Car race

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am trying to figure out why we keep having these threads.

It's depressing.

IMHO this stuff unless we can determine the reasons involved in his decision the story shouldn't even make it to press.

Unless it educates on what to avoid, then it's a terrible tragedy that should remain quiet as possible.

Unless it helps other people avoid a particular behavior then it's Fangora, rubber necking at an accident on the freeway.
edit on 15-4-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

But now looking at another one of your posts, you are bringing up the possibility of a false flag operation, so that to me sounds like you are suggesting that he was killed, and that it was made to look like a suicide. I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, but that's what I read from your second post in the thread.

Okay, and certainly fair there. I had a feeling when I wrote that specific line that using the quotes and context on False Flag, as I did, was probably still misplaced. In fairness, I'll tell you I regret having said those two words in a post of mine at all and figure it's a mental note made for a lesson learned in almost inviting misunderstanding which I created by it.
(My reply was probably a bit harsher than necessary too... Time and stress over a thread I'd just spent half the night on in the 9/11 forum and still felt failed for my end result was what came right before finding yours)

Also noted and fully understood at this point that your reply was also toward the thread direction in general. I'll say I can see your point and leave it at that for my part.

Overall, it was quite a thing to read happen though, wasn't it? My first thoughts were honestly, thank God this one didn't take 20 people with him. I know it's a crappy way to think, but it's a crappy world in some ways right now and how many are we seeing decide the express checkout is the place to take many others at the same time? I hope we'll learn a bit more over what happened here in time.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's rather rich how every time some unbalanced person kills him/herself and/or others with a gun, the rabid gun rights defenders suggest it is part of some big gub'mint conspiracy to take away their guns.

Similarly, how do we know that every time there is a DUI death, that it isn't some false flag operation by the government aimed at curtailing our drink'n n' drivin' rights or just plain drink'n rights, huh? HUH?

ATS's motto is "Deny Ignorance". It should be switched to "Deny Paranoia".

Its rather easy to understand really...

Because the infamous Prohibition Era already came and went away... and since it seems that the US government didnt learn anything from it, the gun owners are worried that it will happen again only this time with guns - and this time, nice music and cool dancing wont come out of it - its a much more dangerous situation.

I think its perfectly understandable. People have the right to their suspicions considering there is a precedent that justifies a possible future action with far more extensive and serious consequences.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I would imagine the person was programmed to take out as many drivers as he could before turning the weapon on himself. It just didn't happen that way and he was given the "code" to suicide.

If the Law enforcement in the county is any good at all, they will check with the pharmacy he uses to see if anyone representing themselves as a drug enforcement agent took a look at his prescription records and someone representing themselves as an ATF agent took a look at his gun buying records to see what kind of weapons the suicided man had purchased in the past. Once, all the pertinent info has been gathered, i.e. the man is on psychoactives and has a weapon of some kind, it takes less than four hours to program him to "do the dirty deeds". Later, it will be explained away as him having a deep depression, a loner, anti-social, ex-military, hated NASCAR, was a person that did not need to own a gun.

His autopsy records will be sealed, changed or destroyed to keep anybody from guessing what really happened.

People are sooooo easy and gullible.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracula
I am trying to figure out why we keep having these threads.

It's depressing.

IMHO this stuff unless we can determine the reasons involved in his decision the story shouldn't even make it to press.

Unless it educates on what to avoid, then it's a terrible tragedy that should remain quiet as possible.

Unless it helps other people avoid a particular behavior then it's Fangora, rubber necking at an accident on the freeway.
edit on 15-4-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

It's fair to ask why the Media continues making it national and international headlines. I'll agree these are local stories and local issues which belong in local papers, not national ones and certainly not Reuters or Associated Press.

However, as long as it is being reported at that level, I believe it's not only fair to bring and share but important for context to the larger issues in the nation right now.

In my opinion, influence on the national debate raging and the legislation moving through State Houses and the US Congress as we speak form the basis of why the Media is reporting the way they are. By bringing these stories to share and comment, I think it helps those closely following the legislation gain context of everything which may be influencing the thoughts and moods behind that process.

Just my take and opinion.
edit on 15-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh brother....

(Reuters) - A Texas man used a gun to commit suicide in the infield of a National Rifle Association-sponsored NASCAR race at the Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth late on Saturday, local authorities said.

Kirk Franklin, 42, of nearby Saginaw died after shooting himself at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday during the NRA 500 Sprint Cup race, according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner.
Source

Call me an ATS user with a big tin foil top hat, but this just stinks. How can this be seen as coincidence? I mean come on now.

It isn't a coincidence. A month or so ago an employee of the Dunkin Donuts across the street from where I work hanged himself in the store's parking lot. The cops sealed that whole are off the entire morning and it looked like a scene from Los Angeles. The guy obviously wanted to make a "you did this to me" statement against his employers that somehow made sense in the nutjob world he lived in. In reality, the guy was almost certainly suffering depression which was aggravated by the stress from working at Dunkin Donuts, so he used them as a scapegoat instead of facing the ugly self realization that he needed to grow the hell up.

What the statement is this Texas man was trying to make, we can't know unless more details come out. Was he an employee at this stadium, does anyone know?
edit on 15-4-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You may or may not already know this, but 2/3 of all gun deaths in the U.S. are suicides.

If you want to make a case for gun control it would be that guns make it far too easy for someone to kill themselves on an impulse. And people who survive suicide attempts largely say that the moment they did it they regretted it. A bullet through the skull doesn't really give one any time to think about their actions...

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive

It's rather rich how every time some unbalanced person kills him/herself and/or others with a gun, the rabid gun rights defenders suggest it is part of some big gub'mint conspiracy to take away their guns.

I agree this suicide isn't some deliberately orchestrated false flag operation to take people's gun rights away, since people suffering from depression have legitimately committed suicide long before this one and people suffering from depression will legitimately commit suicide long after this one. Do YOU likewise agree that there are those in the media who are so madly in love with their gun control agenda that they'll behave like a shameless pack of ghouls and milk this suicide for their political agenda? In their mind, in some vague, shadowy way that noone can tangibly explain, if they can get rid of guns it will somehow stop people from committing suicide and go get counselling instead, and these zealots have been doing it for so long that they're blinded from realizing how shamelessly ghoulish it is.

If you disagree then I can give you as many examples of this behavior as you would like.

ATS's motto is "Deny Ignorance". It should be switched to "Deny Paranoia".

"Deny Ignorance" refers to the request that people should become more informed on things. This statement is better addressed to said shameless ghouls milking the pain and suffering of others for their political agenda than anyone on the gun rights side. It came out in the news a few days ago that a girl in Canada was being picked on so badly in school after she had been raped that she hanged herself. I invite any and all gun control proponents to explain how more gun laws would have prevented this suicide.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by framedragged
You may or may not already know this, but 2/3 of all gun deaths in the U.S. are suicides.

If you want to make a case for gun control it would be that guns make it far too easy for someone to kill themselves on an impulse. And people who survive suicide attempts largely say that the moment they did it they regretted it. A bullet through the skull doesn't really give one any time to think about their actions...

When they're dangling from the end of a noose and they're struggling to gain a foothold on open air as the rope is slowly crushing their windpipe, do you believe a different thought is going through their heads?

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The NRA NASCAR Race? The N R A race?!

Why not? As long as they have the money to sponsor the race, and a sponsor is needed just about anyone can sponsor a race. If I had the money, and really wanted to, I could sponsor it (in fact one of the races has been naming them after people for the last few years).

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

legislation moving through State Houses and the US Congress as we speak form the basis of why the Media is reporting the way they are.

It's nice to hear that someone who has the power to do something about our media is taking action.

I never would have guessed that anyone was doing anything, other than playing golf.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

No, all I said was that it's easier to get a foothold to save yourself from a hanging than it is to reverse time and not pull the trigger.

Most people who attempt suicide regret it immediately after their attempt, be it jumping off a bridge, hanging themselves, popping pills, or slitting their wrists. But not many people survive a suicide attempt by gunshot.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm thankful he didn't kill anyone else while off'ing himself. Good for him. This could have ended much differently for those around him. Loss of life is always a tragic event but it could have been worse.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Look at this title!!!

It's from NBCnews. No one needs to know about that! It's the last thing the families need to see. If they don't change our media then people have to be advised to avoid public media in the event their family members are hurt.

Hospital official details horrific injuries after explosion

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Miracula

Agreed. Agreed 100% I was furious when seeing the CLOSE pics of badly injured victims on the pavement, still being treated. The media has *NO* class whatsoever.

At least they didn't find the body of the man in this thread before anyone else. We'd have all seen THAT graphic wound too I imagine. Just no class at all anymore.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yeah, I pulled up an article and the first thing I see is a woman sitting there bloodied (apparently no injuries other than shock, or minor injuries), but massive amounts of blood around her. I remember a time when they'd never DREAM of showing that out of respect for people. Now the rule is "If it bleeds, it leads" and the bloodier the better.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KRONKITE
That's because he was watching NASCAR and died of boredom. Had he have been at the F1 race, then he would still be alive....

Sorry for the Racer pun! My car homies will get it

WRONG!!!

If he were watching an F1 race, he would have killed himself right after the start of the race since that's the only exciting part of F1 races. Everything else is just some of the most boring racing ever. Those supposed "best racers in the world" can't even race 2 wide through more than 1 corner without wrecking each other.

I watched the NASCAR race this week as I usually do every week (though I was switching back and forth between NASCAR and the UFC fight that night, which was a great night of fights btw), and based on the time this guy commited suicide, I assume he was a Jeff Gordon fan. He was having a good race (which is rare for him these days, he's had the worst luck for the last 2 or 3 years), on the last pit stop made some good adjustments and was catching the leaders, then with a handfull of laps to go, the Gordon Luck Streak struck yet again.

There's no conspiracy here, probably just a Gordon fan who got sick and friggin' tired of this crap every week. Trust me, I was a Bill Elliott fan since the 80's, I've considered suicide nearly every Sunday since about 1995.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by MrInquisitive

Yeah pretty much cuz you know people are always shooting themselves at crowded NRA events. Happens all the time. So at the very least I'd say the guy who killed himself was probably sending a message, or so he thought. This is why I look forward to hearing more about this, ie suicide note, what family/friends have to say, etc.

@Swills,

So you are saying that at the very least he chose this place to send a message, but you don't rule out some false-flaggish operation by the government or zealous gun-control folks. OK. I agree that the choice of venue for his action is *interesting* and that it would be nice to learn more details on the incident.

How about the PTSD veteran who shot America's #1 sniper/bushwhacker at a firing range? Was he also making a statement about guns by shooting people there?

And no, as far as I know there have not been a lot of suicides at NRA-sponsored car races or other car races or at NRA events, but given the number of gun-related shootings in this country, wassn't it statistically likely that sooner or later such an incident would happen?

Sometimes unbalanced people with firearms use them against themselves or others at the darnedest public places. That is why there is a push for more gun control in this country.
edit on 15-4-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoodOlDave

I agree this suicide isn't some deliberately orchestrated false flag operation to take people's gun rights away, since people suffering from depression have legitimately committed suicide long before this one and people suffering from depression will legitimately commit suicide long after this one. Do YOU likewise agree that there are those in the media who are so madly in love with their gun control agenda that they'll behave like a shameless pack of ghouls and milk this suicide for their political agenda? In their mind, in some vague, shadowy way that noone can tangibly explain, if they can get rid of guns it will somehow stop people from committing suicide and go get counselling instead, and these zealots have been doing it for so long that they're blinded from realizing how shamelessly ghoulish it is.
"Deny Ignorance" refers to the request that people should become more informed on things. This statement is better addressed to said shameless ghouls milking the pain and suffering of others for their political agenda than anyone on the gun rights side. It came out in the news a few days ago that a girl in Canada was being picked on so badly in school after she had been raped that she hanged herself. I invite any and all gun control proponents to explain how more gun laws would have prevented this suicide.

@GoodOlDave,

You won't find me making any claims that the news media doesn't nourish its agendas on a ghoulish diet when it serves their purposes. For instance, the amount of Trayvon Martin reporting on MSNBC was way over the top; about two weeks of shows were devoted almost entirely to this. I don't mean to dismiss the importance of this case, but there is other news more important to the nation as whole that should be reported each week too.

As to this NRA race suicide (?), I haven't seen a whole being made of it in the media. No doubt some news folks will have to have story about it from their Irony Desk.

My issue is that when such an ironic incident as this shooting happens, the guns rights defenders come out saying this case is suspicious, etc. They can't seem to acknowledge that American society does have a gun problem.

I don't see why you brought up the case of the teenage rape victim in Canada hanging herself. Nobody has claimed that guns are the only tool method for committing suicide or violence. The point is that guns enable such behavior, i.e. make it easier.

Back to the ghoul-fed media/government agendas for a moment: I fear that after this Boston Marathon bombing that public garbage cans will be banned. Seriously. That is the kind of fraidy-cat society America has become.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Miracula

Agreed. Agreed 100% I was furious when seeing the CLOSE pics of badly injured victims on the pavement, still being treated. The media has *NO* class whatsoever.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. It's disrespectful to people's families.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join