It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Noon Meal For Kids In Debt At Middle School

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Students at an Attleboro, Massachusetts, middle school went hungry this week, if they had a negative balance on their pre-paid lunch cards.

Five cents of debt was enough for cafeteria employees at the Coehlo Middle School to instruct kids at least one day this week to dump out the food they would have normally eaten, CNN affiliate WJAR in Rhode Island reported.

About 25 children left the lunchroom with empty stomachs, said Whitson's Culinary Group in a statement. The company runs the school's cafeteria.

CNN

More

Kids with a negative balance usually receive "a cheese sandwich, a fruit and vegetable, and milk." Then the company contacts the parents about payment.

So why didn't these kids receive a sandwich at minimum?

I can't imagine the embarrassment these children felt as they were told to empty their
trays and then to not be allowed to eat anything.

How can this be prevented in the future, shouldn't the school distric be responsible to make
sure that each and every child receives a lunch every day? Does it fall back on the parents
to provide lunch for their kids?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That's pretty horrible.

Kids should not be held accountable for what their parents do. Let alone be singled out like that in front of their classmates.

My goodness, I can imagine how belittled they must have felt. Hell, raise my taxes to cover the cost of their lunches if you have to but don't treat them like second rate citizens.

+14 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Reply to post by elevatedone

Welcome to real life: if you do not pay you will not eat.

Since schools are supposed to be preparing youngsters for life this will be one of those lessons that actually mean something.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
When I was in school, if you couldn't afford lunch, it was still provided.
It wasn't anything different than the other kids were getting either, it was the
exact same food.

It should be that way today.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

that is disgusting!

some student should steal the food to make a point...

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Define preparing for real life please. There is no common sense taught in school anymore. And now we just wasted more food. CONGRATULATIONS~ Just another pety issue. So now what? 25 kids hungry and what happens when they don't eat? Lack of concentration, dropping of grades, et cetera. The school taught them nothing.

Should the parents of ensured they had money on the lunch cards? Yes but that's not here nor there. The schools could have documented this for each child and went to the parents for the money.

I find your comment most ignorant because there is nothing in society that is prepparing our youth for the "Real World"

But this issue goes deeper so I won't go off topic.

link   
Aha!
There is no free lunch.

These kids need to pick themselves up and get a night time J-O-B.
Lazy 5 year olds...waah waah I'm hungry..waah waah I'm thirsty,
Tell your story at the factory,kiddo.

This is nothing compared to the Draconion
measures the Tea Party try to sneak in.

link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Since schools are supposed to be preparing youngsters for life this will be one of those lessons that actually mean something.

It doesn't have to be that way.

We are the only beings I know of living on this real life planet that pay to eat.
edit on 5-4-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

link   
my daughters elementary school will provide a cheese sandwich fruit or veggie and milk also, School is horrible about sending notes home indicating a low balance, we usually don't get a notice until she has gone three days of breakfast and lunch in the negative.
however i don't see them ever sending the kids off without anything no matter the situation. This is a bunch of BS, poor kids.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

That is Evil,pure and simple
and for the love of God is it too much to ask that children,all children in every nation, regardless of their circumstances, receive a decent nutritious meal and drink at their respective school every day without the need to pay for it in the 21st century?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If that would have been my kid, some hell would have been raised. That is horrible. And a waste of food as well. If they already had to food then by all means let them eat it and contact the parents.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Reply to post by sulaw

Seriously? Go to the grocery store and tell them you can't pay. Watch what happens. They won't provide you with a cheesesandwich and milk.

In fact, sometimes when you can't pay they stick your name by the register under a banner saying "DO NOT ACCEPT CHECKS FROM THESE PEOPLE".

Don't like it? Too bad. That's how the world works. All you emotional pleas does not change it.

When do you start teaching kids how the world works?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by elevatedone

They feed animals at shelters for free. They feed homeless PEOPLE at shelters for free as well. I guess kids are worth less than that, eh?

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Reply to post by sealing

5 year olds aren't in Middle School and they aren't children at that age. Reading helps.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

No, they don't feed animals or homeless for free. They are fed from donations. If there are no donations either in money or foodbank stuff they don't feed them.

Ever see a shelter get shut down because of a lack of funding? I have. They turn a lot of people away.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Have you ever looked at what the chldren are given? The U.S. pays milk and cheese producers for their extras - it's a farm/dairy subsidy - and milk and cheese are not healthy for children and other living things (except very young calves). And "meat"!!! Schools actually give the children corpses to eat, helping them set-in-stone a lifelong habit of thinking that it's OK to eat "meat" when, in fact, it may possibly kill them someday. Schools should serve all vegan meals, imnho, and should have done so long ago.

But on topic, I bet the people who decided this policy are regretting it just about.....now. See it reversed soon if it hasn't been already.
edit on 5-4-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Treating children this way will only cause more problems.
1. The kids will be mad at mom and/or dad or not making sure their cards were recharged.
2. The kids will not respect mom and/or dad if they aren't getting paid enough from their job(s) to recharge the cards.
3. The kids will hate the school faculty for being mean to them.
4. They will soon learn that prisoners are treated better by getting three hots and a cot every day even when their account is dry.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
We had free breakfasts at school, every morning.

Which was good because I could never eat soon as I wake up, same today, so after my 2 HOUR BUSDRIVE to school (no lies) I was able to eat then.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

That's not entirely accurate. Having been homeless myself I am familiar with the funding practices of the local County of Washtenaw shelter and their meal program. In addition, one could argue that nothing is free. But back on point - ARE NOT THE CHILDREN WORTH IT?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join