It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visualizing drone strikes in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Since 2004, drone strikes have killed an estimated 3,105 people in Pakistan.

Less than 2% of the victims are high-profile targets.
The rest are civilians, children and alleged combatants.

This is the story of every known drone strike and victim in Pakistan.

Link: Out of Site, Out of Mind

This narrative infographic takes a few clicks to get going. Then sit back and watch drone strikes fly in from the sky creating a timeline. It is a great method of showing the human impact and frequency of the drone attacks in Pakistan. It is scary to think that this is probably very similar to the screen inside the Mobile Ground Control Station at the time.

I hear so much about how many drone strikes there are and how many casualties there are, separately. It is interesting to see how each strike played out and relates the two. The people who made this, www.pitchinteractive.com..., do not seem to have any affiliation with anything other than big data visualization. There is an info button which says the following about the source of the data:

The primary data used in this visualization comes from a dataset maintained by the Bureau of Investigative Journalism (BIJ) . The BIJ is a not-for-profit organization with the aim of educating the public and the media on both the realities of today's world and the value of honest reporting. While there were other data sources that had listings of drone stikes, the BIJ seemed to have the most unbiased collection of information. Because the US Government does not disclose strike information, the data must be manually collected on the ground by reporters. The challenge is that stories and estimates vary between sources. In cases where there are inconsistencies, a minimum and a maximum number of possible casualties are recorded. We take the average whole number between these estimates for each attack. In a few instances there were casualties confirmed, but the estimated number of casualties was not obtainable. In these cases, we simply omitted the casualties. The list of high-profile targets (the white squares) comes from the New America Foundation.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Obama, the Nobel peace prize winning drone bomber.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'm surprised this thread only has 1 reply. A quick search on ATS and only this thread was talking about the civilian casualties of drone strikes.

Do people have nothing to say about the TWO% that are actually designated targets for drones?

Families blown apart for doing nothing?

Walking around with a gun to defend your property might get you blown up too.

While this is happening we have another thread honouring the deaths of 2 marines, don't get me wrong they are heroes and deserve the respect they get, but where is the respect for the dead civilians?

We blow up families, then ask where the terrorists come from. Yes, if my family got blown up you can bet I'll do something about it.

Just want to see more members giving feedback on this topic, since many are veterans/currently in the forces.
edit on 8-6-2013 by peashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Just heartbreaking. This and the thread about depleted uranium and the birth defects... it's good that I have a decent supply of alcohol for today. It dulls the emotions enough to help me get through the day. Is there a war on our ability to feel or something? Jeez. We didn't vote for this.

new topics

top topics

join