It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jim Carrey's anti-gun spoof on Funny Or Die draws fire, Carrey reacts to critics on Twitter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Jim Carrey's anti-gun spoof on Funny Or Die draws fire, Carrey reacts to critics on Twitter

arts.nationalp ost.com

Pro-gun pundits have lashed out at actor Jim Carrey for an anti-gun song posted to the comedy site Funny Or Die, with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham calling the video “more of a deflection” from Carrey’s “cold dead carreer.”

“I’d like to respond to all the conservative pundits out there personally but I’m far too busy NOT stumping for the gun companies,” Carrey tweeted, later adding. “The important question is ‘Do we possess guns in America or do guns possess us?’”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

sat·ire noun ˈsa-ˌtī(-ə)r

1: a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

2: trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Satire can be a powerful thing, especially coming from such a well known name as Jim Carrey. This is brilliant in my opinion, the reactions from Fox News says it all. Here is the skit in question

arts.nationalp ost.com

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
what is it with the name "jim carrey" and the term "guns"....

"Man is selling his autographed Jim Carrey photo to buy glock"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
His question was inane. He would have been better off ignoring the criticism. Now I think he's just after cool points and relevancy. It's been a long time since "Fire Marshall Bill" and "The Mask".

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

I wonder how well that video is doing at Funny or Die? Actually I know the answer and it's not well

Satire or not, Jimmy boy has his views and agenda which is pretty clear.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
So after hearing all about this video, and seeing this thread, I finally decided to give it a watch. I was curious if everyone was being over-reactive, or if they had good reason to be as annoyed as they are. I think I can say I understand why people are pissed off at him. He's being a total jerk(want to use a more explicit word here) regarding his viewpoint.

Now, I don't own a gun, and really do not like guns. I've always been the guy that loves medieval-type weaponry. But I do believe in our right to own a gun, for hunting/protection. But after reading what Jim Carrey said awhile back regarding how he feels about people who own guns, it offended me. I can't remember his wording, but he pretty much said anyone who owns a gun, or believes in the right to own a gun, doesn't have a soul worth protecting. Someone I used to love when I was younger, who brought me much joy and helped me want to be a comedian, doesn't feel that I'm worth protecting, because I believe in everyone's right to bear arms.

Now I understand he's allowed his own personal opinion, and I believe in that right. If he just didn't believe we should have guns, that's one thing. But to say something so harsh is what made me lose respect for him. Then, watching this video - I get that it's satire, and he's trying to promote his belief in a comical way, but I didn't smile during it. My girlfriend put it best.

She's seen a lot of satire in her life. She loves it. South Park comes to mind. They don't hold back punches. But when they do it, it's funny. Because they're doing it to be funny. But this video, you can tell he's very serious about it, and in some ways, he wants people to be offended by it. Like he's pissed off at people who own guns. You can see it in his eyes towards the end of the song, when he's staring at the camera. You can see his anger. His seriousness. He's being a dick more than he's trying to be funny.

I enjoyed him when I was younger, but I've got no respect for him now. I heard some people say he's this way because he had a spiritual awakening, but I personally feel that if he truly had this awakening, he wouldn't be mad at those who want guns, and could at least understand their viewpoint. Don't have to agree, but can at least understand. But he doesn't. Then again, he loves Emma Stone.

www.youtube.com...

In a lot of ways, I just feel bad for him.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Necrobile because: Sorry, dunno how to imbed videos. lol

edit on 27-3-2013 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2013 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Off Target

Originally posted by cripmeister
Satire can be a powerful thing, especially coming from such a well known name as Jim Carrey.

It definitely can be, but satire that pushes people apart is, in my opinion, powerful in a bad way.

This just adds to the already oversized pile of ad homs and straw man bashing that infects the gun control debate, polarizes opinion and thus ensures very little, if anything, meaningful or positive can come from it.

The problem with the approach being used here is:

1. If gun owners agree with Jim Carrey, they are as stupid as he says they are.

2. If people who supposedly seek sensible gun policies think this is the way to go about it, then they are too stupid to be trusted with matters of law.

It's a lose/lose scenario. Or more accurately a lose/lose/lose scenario, because Jim Carrey is the biggest loser in this case.

He's insanely talented and proven it many times over, but this is definitely not his finest hour. The "Cold Dead Hand" skit is reminiscent of some of Andy Kaufman's routines, except Andy Kaufman was actually able to pull them off. Carrey's clumsy, passive-aggressive schtick is flat-out painful to watch, and not at all funny. Even the laugh track seems tortured.

To make things worse, the profane, hateful comments he has made in social media alongside the skit will not only alienate many otherwise loyal fans, but undermine the efforts of people who honestly do want sensible gun policy by lumping them in with his bitter, irrational antics.

Everyone loses. It's just sad.

Finally, though I do respect his talent, Jim Carrey isn't fit to kiss Charlton Heston's cold, dead feet.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 3/27/2013 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Meh, a b list actor complaining abiut somthing like anyone cares what he has to say.....lol.

When was his last good movie anyway? What was it, 2000?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
here's what i think.. someone who makes legislation sits at their desk all day long doing the online stock trading and bought a lot of shares in probably a few dying gun companies thinking they'll capitalize on "the patriot" in all of us so he starts the gun ban, stricter law scare.. etc.. and then look.. from the second all this started, it started a gun buying frenzy and in my opinion this is all it equates to, greed, money in one way or another.

kinda sad about Jim Carrey though because his career is dead but he was smart enough to know how fickle people are, i remember seeing an interview at the height of his career.. they asked him.. why do you work so hard and all the time? he replied.. in this business you have to grab everything you can, when you can because one minute everyone loves you and the next the wouldn't give you the time of day.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Yeah, what this guy said ^

He nailed it on the head and I agree with every letter written.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

arts.nationalp ost.com

Pro-gun pundits have lashed out at actor Jim Carrey for an anti-gun song posted to the comedy site Funny Or Die, with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham calling the video “more of a deflection” from Carrey’s “cold dead carreer.”

“I’d like to respond to all the conservative pundits out there personally but I’m far too busy NOT stumping for the gun companies,” Carrey tweeted, later adding. “The important question is ‘Do we possess guns in America or do guns possess us?’”

I really could care less what that he thinks about me or us gun owners in general, he obviously doesn't own a gun therefore doesn't understand what its like to own a gun and the responsibility that goes along with it. Its his choice to not own a gun just like its my choice to own a gun, if you don't want one then don't buy one and vice versa, but don't stereotype me as a certain type of person that I am not and I think I speak for most gun owners in that regard. A majority of us are not some hillbilly's hoot'n and a holler'n shooting our guns in the air while we gnaw on a corn cob pipe while a fat drunk guy with no teeth in stained coverall's plays a fiddle "no pun intended". You know the saying Jim, "opinions are like @##holes everyone's got one".

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Jim Carrey is a Canadian.

No disrespect to Canadians in general....just stating that as he is not an american, i could care less what his views and opinions about the 2nd Amendment are.

That's like me telling British Parliament what to do with the UK...

or Piers Morgan telling us why we dont need AR-15s....wait....what?

I pretty much don't let anyone in hollywood sway my decisions or affect me, american actors or not. Most of them dont know # from shinola about the "regular" people who live in this country.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Wow

An actor used satire to express his opinion on a popular political subject.

This isn't the first time that someone has done this and it certainly won't be the last.

By the way, he's working on 2 movies that will be released this year and next year.

Dead career? I don't think so

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

It definitely can be, but satire that pushes people apart is, in my opinion, powerful in a bad way.

This just adds to the already oversized pile of ad homs and straw man bashing that infects the gun control debate, polarizes opinion and thus ensures very little, if anything, meaningful or positive can come from it.

When your motto is "from my cold dead hands" you show that you are not open to debate in the first place. THIS is the problem.

He's insanely talented and proven it many times over, but this is definitely not his finest hour. The "Cold Dead Hand" skit is reminiscent of some of Andy Kaufman's routines, except Andy Kaufman was actually able to pull them off. Carrey's clumsy, passive-aggressive schtick is flat-out painful to watch, and not at all funny. Even the laugh track seems tortured.

It is social satire and not necessarily meant to be funny (though I think parts of it are hilarious). I am pretty sure the laugh track is supposed to sound tortured.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Good satire, whatever your view on the issue (satiric art stands alone and can't really be judged on if you agree with it or not). I hadn't seen it before. It took me a couple of minutes to realize the singer was Jim Carrey too, is that his voice as well or was it dubbed by someone else? The last Jim Carrey movie I saw was with the penguins, "Mr. Popper's Penguins", which was kind of blah unless you like Carrey or like penguins.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Firing For Effect

It is social satire and not necessarily meant to be funny (though I think parts of it are hilarious). I am pretty sure the laugh track is supposed to sound tortured.

Obviously we can disagree about what constitutes good satire, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. There's also no accounting for taste, whatever one's views might be.

I think of "good" satire as art that educates as it entertains. It conveys a meaningful message.

What is the message of "Cold Dead Hands"?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Gun control proponents use satire, rhetoric, straw man arguments, fear, threats, ridicule to encourage gun control.

Name me one proposed law that increased punishment for criminals who use guns in crimes.

All the gun control manipulation is targeted at legitimate gun owners. All the satire is targeted at gun owners.

Legal, law abiding gun owners are being demonized and targeted by those who want the 2nd Amendment gone.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
To me, instead of talking about gun control, we should be figuring out how to improve mental health across the nation.

It isn't sane folks like me with guns that you should worry about. It is the crazed lunatics. They are the ones to be concerned with. And they are the ones that are getting no attention whatsoever in this whole discussion.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Instructoralpha
Jim Carrey is a Canadian.

No disrespect to Canadians in general....just stating that as he is not an american, i could care less what his views and opinions about the 2nd Amendment are.

That's like me telling British Parliament what to do with the UK...

or Piers Morgan telling us why we dont need AR-15s....wait....what?

I pretty much don't let anyone in hollywood sway my decisions or affect me, american actors or not. Most of them dont know # from shinola about the "regular" people who live in this country.

You may want to fact check.

Dual citizenships aside, of course he just did something controversial...he has a movie coming out soon.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

You may want to fact check.

Dual citizenships aside, of course he just did something controversial...he has a movie coming out soon.

I remember when the gun control stuff was just starting out and he made some tweets about gun control on twitter. I removed him and danny devito from my twitter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join