It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Years Of American & British Music. Which Is Better?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Its a really tough one.... but... close call but I have to go with ....... American. Because:

Vietnam "soundtrack" sorry brits

(one of many many I love)

edit on 23-3-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
OK
I'm gonna say this

Music is international it doesn't matter where it came from as long as it touches you in some way as long as it gets to you you don't even need to understand the language

For example

That concert had the hairs on the back of neck standing up
And yes i did pull
Cody

edit on 23/3/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat

Like nOraKat said

I thought this was about music

Here you go

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It's late, but this is an awesome song. I love how she stands on a box to make herself look taller.

Americans +1 for this one:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Thank you MystikMushroom

Cody

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

To give the UK people some credit, I'll leave this here...Bono really goes off at around 2:25 into the song.

Beautiful song

edit on 23-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

You CANNOT compare Amercian vs British music. It's too unfair... British music in all respects is the best that's been produced in music for a long time. The list of geniuses is far too large for me to place here

...and I really meant British...
By the way I'm a musician

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Well I like funk, soul, disco and house music all of which is done best by Americans and has influenced British music and culture more than we like to admit.

At the moment neither country seems to be providing anything fresh.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

How is playing a synthesizer not playing an instrument? A synthesizer is an instrument!! Then having to program it for a specific sound you want takes some skill indeed. In my opinion its harder for one man to fully program a synthesizer setup with drums, percs, pads, and leads than it is for a four man band with an instrument each.

A single person who creates a track using computers and synths to do everything that would normally take a full band to do is what I would call a composer...
edit on 23/3/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
reply to post by buster2010

How is playing a synthesizer not playing an instrument? A synthesizer is an instrument!! Then having to program it for a specific sound you want takes some skill indeed. In my opinion its harder for one man to fully program a synthesizer setup with drums, percs, pads, and leads than it is for a four man band with an instrument each.

A single person who creates a track using computers and synths to do everything that would normally take a full band to do is what I would call a composer...
edit on 23/3/13 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

Don't sweat it

They said music was dead when they booed Bob Dylan for playing an electric guitar
It wasn't an instrument apparently

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Not seen anyone mention Def Leppard yet.
Made in England and absolutely massive in the US.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by cody599

To give the UK people some credit, I'll leave this here...Bono really goes off at around 2:25 into the song.

Beautiful song

edit on 23-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

I remember that day well, if I am correct

Bono had just heard about this

The Enniskillen bombing

.BBC archive clips tell the story of the Enniskillen bombing on Remembrance Day, 1987. The IRA were responsible for the bomb, which killed 12 and injured 68.

Source

It was a very black time in the UK

Thanks for posting that is a Bono epic moment

Cody

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

you were doing really well untill you mentioned def leppard

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Well said.

And I'll add some computer generated bass sounds can penetrate your body and shake your bones like no other instrument can.
I also read computer generated music has no soul, yet, binaural beats and other similar techniques are mostly computer generated and can literally move your soul.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LordAdef

You CANNOT compare Amercian vs British music. It's too unfair... British music in all respects is the best that's been produced in music for a long time. The list of geniuses is far too large for me to place here

Can't even compare one band to another, from the Black Crows to Tom Petty. Or from Zep, The Stones, and Floyd back around to Credence, The Eagles, Godsmack, Metallica and on and on and on and on and on....

There just aren't enough complementary adjectives to go round.

But if you want a taste of modern day Genius ?

How's that for diversity?
edit on 23-3-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It depends on what we are talking about. I mean, if we say 60s and 70s rock, then I'd be a fool to not acknowledge the great English bands of that era like Pink Floyd and the Beatles. You guys did give us crap like Elton John, too though, so you can please take him back.

However, to broaden things a bit, none of those bands would have been possible without uniquely American inventions such as Blues and Rock and Roll. Not to mention my favorite (favourite
) Jazz. These contributions alone give America a landslide win here.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There's not one or the other for me, I like both!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by notquiteright

There's nothing "crap" about Elton John. Apparently you haven't heard many of his songs, may I suggest:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

While that may be, that's like saying europeans and africans upon coming to America should have somehow forgotten everything they knew. Early American blues may have had it's roots in the combination of various other cultures, but that doesn't mean other cultures should take credit for it. It's like saying the automobile wasn't really created in America because the scientific and technological knowledge had it's roots in Europe.

Also, what about motown? The English simply have nothing comparable to this music. The English seem to be really good at looking at what Americans are doing, and doing some really great enhancements on them, The English have given us some great music, but it stands that the great American experiment has created many new forms of music, even if the other roots may have been used.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join