It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Bee-Killing Pesticide Ban Crumbles Under Corporate Interests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

It was January of this year that the European Food Safety Authority turned heads with their confirmation that neonicotinoids - insecticides derived from chemicals related to nicotine - are a smoking gun in the massive bee die off - also known as Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

Multiple around-the-world studies and documentaries have implicated these pesticides in massive bee death since 2006, causing a great debate in the EU. Activists, environmentalists, scientists and even politicians were shocked and dismayed that the two-year ban suggested by the European Commission didn't pass on Friday.

www.activistpost.com...

Bad news really. The UK and Germany failed to back the ban and both politicians and environmental campaigners where shocked at the outcome. It has been established within the scientific community that there are links to the use of certain chemicals and CCD. So why the heck dont the politicians do something about it.

Bees are an integral part of our biosphere. Things would get pretty rough if the bees disappeared. Our governments are rotten to the core and are in the pockets of giant corporations. If they cannot do their jobs they should be fired and replaced and the heads of these giant argi companies arrested.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

How can they not see the damage they are doing?!
If the bees die out, where in trouble really. I thought myself the ruling would go through because of all the studies that has been done proving they're doing more damage than good with all the chemicals they are using.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I was just thinking about this yesterday on another topic. It applies here too though. Perhaps more so. Why should they care??

Look at the people who fought to ban...vs the people who insured it could never happen.

How old are the people insuring our future is sold to the highest profit margin? Will they be alive to see any of the horror they are insuring the world includes? Is there ANY CHANCE whatsoever, by physical age alone, that they'll have to suffer the real consequences of anything they're deciding on these matters?

I'd say no....they know they're dead by age alone before it kills us ..so why care? They make profit, get sucked up to by industry and generally live the life of little kings as long as they can insure these decisions don't stop or change. So.... Sell us out for their 30 pieces of silver..all the while knowing, THEIR WORLD will never end by it. Just ours.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I guess people are different. Regardless of how old I was or how much money i had. I would still try and leave the planet a bit better than I found it. I would not risk the life of future generations for some more coin or power.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If more people had that same mind set, the world would be a better place.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You're preaching to the choir, to be sure. I'm almost 40 and an undergraduate in a full length political sciences program. 40 + 6 + time to get established + time to DO anything .... Think I'll be alive to see anything positive from anything I accomplish? Nope....I'm still at it though.

So I agree.. You or I would do the right thing because it's the right thing. These are career politicians we're talking about though, right? Politicians and their Corporate Stooges/Masters (depending on the day and the issue).
edit on 17-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I am shocked at this decision - I would have thought common sense would prevail and the ban would go ahead. And since a few EU countries have already banned GMO crops, I imagined the next step would be to ban the insecticides which are poisoning the bees. After all - no bees, no crops.
www.trueactivist.com...

This recent decision has the foul stench of corruption emanating from it.
edit on 17-3-2013 by doobydoll because: sp

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Short sighted greed. From their viewpoint it is imperative to keep the bribe money coming into their pockets from slowing down at all. That would be the negative thing they fear most.

Bees? Who cares?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
A truly shameful back pedal.
When the next generations of our children or there children begin to starve,they should look towards this shameful EU decision.

Mark my words-this is how the mega corps are going to flood Europe with GMO death-when the bees die,governments will beg monsatan to come in and help get things pollinated again with their GM bees,and cancer plants.

Its money in the bank to them,and a lingering painful death to the rest of us.

With people like that controling what we eat-we are royally screwed ladies and gents.
And not many seem bothered..

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Follow the money. Bayer Crop Science (German) and Syngenta (Swiss) are producing it and (surprise surprise) Monsanto is incorporating it into seeds.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

Bayers had stuff leak the other year. It suggested that they knew some of their produucts where bad for the bees.. What is even worse is it looked like EPA knew about it too...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The poor bees are having a rough time of it.. We need to keep our bees healthy, for not just their well bee-ing but ours too..

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I hate to be the voice of reason here....mainly because whoever is "against" a ban are also deemed to be against the environment...

But niconids have been widely used around the world for decades and bee colonies have just started collapsing in the last 10 years or so.

1. the scientific studies only provide a "link" to colony collapses - SO...what is a "link"...why did the studies fail to find proof?

2. why did these pesticides suddenly become lethal to bees?

3. Could this be another "environmental" cause started by people who want to profit from creating such crisis? Who did the study? Who funded the study?

4. What is the proof of industry influencing in this case?

Is there any possibility that the ban failed cause the science was faulty?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Ah - I see what this is about....

www.publications.parliament.uk...

I suggest you read the submission of the Farmer's Union to Parliament. The "link" between the use of niconids has been shown in "some" studies but not in others and has never been found in actual full field studies.

The demand to ban these helpful pesticides was based in "risk" without portional regard to the benefits of the use of the pesticide.

To extremists - no amount of risk is acceptable for any reason! Unless it interferes with them, of course

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

And here is a position from BeeKeepers

www.vicbeekeepers.com.au...

Strikingly - the ban on these pesticides in France had no positive effect on bees there!

It helps sometimes to hear the other side before devolving immediately into blame the industry positions. The use of simple good guy vs bad guy arguements makes a lot of simple folk very happy but it most often not true.

Why would any industry want to kill off bees?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Maybe so they can genetically modify the entire ecosystem with there wannabe god complexes and twisted mitochondria experiments....all while making huge profits....if you think these psychopathic, ego driven losers in white lab coats or the Suits behind em give a $hit about you or me...welp ive got some bridges to sell you.

We are facing people that purposely cause problems in order to sell us there solutions....the pattern exists all throughout society and history.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RedbeardedFoo

The EXACT same thing can be said for activists - with one exception - activists PRODUCE NOTHING AND BENEFIT NOONE.

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by RedbeardedFoo

The EXACT same thing can be said for activists - with one exception - activists PRODUCE NOTHING AND BENEFIT NOONE.

Tired of control Freaks

It was becuase of activism that women in the UK got the vote. The USA would not exist today if it was not for activism. Civil disobedience is an integral part of a free democratic nation. There are many examples of policies that have changed because of it.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

With the pesticide companies clearly showing little to no regard to future generations and also even more clearly making hundreds of billions of dollars with their environmental poisons that even a 5 year old can plainly see is destroying any hope that our children's children might have of any normalcy in their lifetimes, one can't help but wonder how much the robotic industry is involved in this as well.

ROBOBEES anyone?

It would have taken years to develop a robotic bee. How many billions of dollars does this industry stand to make with the bee population in serious decline. Makes me give pause and think, are the developers hero's or is there a darker side to this that known of us would really like to admit.

We've been watching with our very own eyes exactly what these corporations will due for money. At this point NOTHING would surprise me anymore.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I agree but activists of old were interested in expanding human rights - but - not at the expense of others. And they put themselves heart and soul into their chosen causes.

These activists are only interested in expanding their own wallets! They are lobbyiests for the highest bidder. They have no interest in truth and science. Their only interest is in creating FEAR!

They are wolves in sheep's clothing with no solutions of their own to offer.

Tired of Control Freaks

top topics

<<   2 >>

join