It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines told to 'save every round' Isn't there some fat we could trim, before we cut into the mus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Marines told to 'save every round' Isn't there some fat we could trim, before we cut into the muscle?

Saw this on CNN. (Yes, I already know your opinion of CNN.)
linky doo dad

Desperate times: Marines told to 'save every round' Posted by CNN's Kevin Liptak (CNN) – United States Marines are being told to preserve ammunition and gasoline as a deal softening the impact of automatic spending cuts continues to elude leaders in Washington.

No deal yet. But if you are in favor of cutting military spending, then this is your Christmas kiddo.

Marine Corps Commandant James Amos urged personnel in a video posted online Friday to "save every round, every gallon of gas," and to "take every single aspect or opportunity in training to get the most bang for the buck," a reminder of the cuts' immediate effect on the U.S. military.

Sounds awesome. Unless maybe you are one of the unlucky bastards congress has ordered off to war.

And despite the cuts originating from a stalemate between the White House and lawmakers, Amos described Congress as "our best friends."

Oh, my mistake. Feel much love from congress. "Tough love," I think they call it.
edit on 2013/3/11 by heyitsok because: Full title of post was cut off.

edit on 2013/3/11 by heyitsok because: Bolded title of thread in hopes of keeping posts on topic.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by heyitsok

The point here is don't waste, not don't use!

Big difference.....

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
good

why should they run around wasting things ?

it's our money

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yeah, that is rad. These are exactly the responses I was hoping for. Except I wanted to hear more of your opinions on what should be cut before military budgets. I mean, if the Marine Corp can sign off on reduced spending, couldn't other departments of the federal government do the same? Hence the title of my thread (which was unfortunately truncated.)

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

edit on 2013/3/11 by heyitsok because: Replied to wrong poster.

link   
During a time when tensions are mounting worldwide, is it the wisest thing in the world to announce to everyone that we need to conserve bullets or anything at all? Isn't part of the whole militarizing thing making your military look bigger and badder than the rest? now, I know we are in comparison to many or all other countries, but the point is that I think it makes us look weak. A broke-a** military isn't very threatening

link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

I agree.
edit on 2013/3/11 by heyitsok because: ETA: But these are across-the-board cuts. Not targeted at reducing waste, only at reducing spending. And how can anybody have judged that the Marine Corp is guilty of waste, when congress can not agree on the issue?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mountaingirl1111
During a time when tensions are mounting worldwide, is it the wisest thing in the world to announce to everyone that we need to conserve bullets or anything at all? Isn't part of the whole militarizing thing making your military look bigger and badder than the rest? now, I know we are in comparison to many or all other countries, but the point is that I think it makes us look weak. A broke-a** military isn't very threatening

True that, thanks. It does make us look weak. Many things the government does make us look weak in the eyes of the world.

And the above posters are correct, waste needs to be reduced across the board.

However, the article didn't specify that these budget cuts were focused on cutting waste. It only said that Marines were being told to conserve.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Of course there is. However it would not have found its way to a headline.

If you want to protect your organisation by getting sympathy you cut where its painful and high profile. Not where its easy and invisible.

This will go on everywhere as everybody fights for their piece of the pie at the expense of everybody else.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

The point here is don't waste, not don't use!

Big difference.....

No, that is not the point actually. Read the article, and you will see that the point is "don't use."

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

They always cut at the grunt level but never at the military industrial complex level.

Whats that tell you? The big savings come at the military industrial complex level.

Just more BS for the crazy right to get upset without thinking.
edit on 11-3-2013 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Meanwhile it is "undignified" for members of congress to cut back their salaries a little?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

So those active in operation must cut and "save every round", yet DHS is actively making large purchases.

So, are our immediate threats, in the gov's eyes, foreign or domestic?

I'm all for large spending cuts . . . even in the Defense Budget. However, I would like to see some sort of rhyme or reason to them, as well . . . I'd much rather have the Marines get what they need to train and be prepared for defense, than local agencies gearing up for war and expanding their hiring.

And yes . . . funny how the politicians are never on the chopping block. Are they not "public servants"?
edit on 3/11/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Maybe big Sis can loan out the twenty years worth .22 hollow points in the interim. This is crazy beyond all belief. Ya really think we would jeopardize our soldiers like this???!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

It is pretty ironic isnt it? The nation that INVENTED spray and pray, comming over all frugal and careful! Also, in fairness to the fighting men themselves, isnt it somewhat ridiculous for a nations leadership to turn to men and women that it has sent to war, and telling them to be careful not to expend to much metal toward the enemy? I mean, what the hell do they think the military do out there? Organise bake sales?

What a total crock of crap.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Whoops, please remove
edit on 12-3-2013 by TrueBrit because: Double post.

top topics

join