It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Sunday Assembly goes worldwide, the future is bright for non-believers

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

Here you go.

Eastern Europe (Russia and Greece) changed to the Gregorian system in the 20th century, they had to drop 13 days from their calendars, due to the additional difference between the two calendars accumulated after 1582.

With the unification of China under the Kuomintang in October 1928, the Nationalist Government decreed that effective 1 January 1929 the Gregorian calendar would be used. However, China retained the Chinese traditions of numbering the months and a modified Era System, backdating the first year of the ROC to 1912; this system is still in use in Taiwan where the ROC government retains control. Upon its foundation in 1949, the People's Republic of China continued to use the Gregorian calendar with numbered months, but abolished the ROC Era System and adopted Western numbered years.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by spy66

If you just start being a bit more aware of your daily life you will see how traped you are in a religious controlled world.

I agree that religion has influence over my life and wish it was not the case.
Another reason why I hope the Sunday Assembly grows in strength. Perhaps with enough numbers supporting change then situations like bishops in the upper house of the UK parliament will come to an end.

That is why i also said in a earlier post that something good might come out of these meetings. I sure aint against it.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

So what? Who cares? How does it affect anyone?
The Earth still takes 365 days to travel around the Sun.
You could call the days and months whatever you like but I'm still going to work around 40 hours per week and enjoy a few weeks off each year during the warm period in the northern hemisphere.

If it's so important to you start your own thread about it, you're just going off-topic here and it's a bit tiresome now mate.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

That is why i also said in a earlier post that something good might come out of these meetings. I sure aint against it.

Cheers fella, good to hear it

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Has anyone figured out why it's important for atheists to hold Sunday services in former Christian churches like Christians do, or why they have to be so preoccupied over Christianity in the first place? And does anyone know if they've tried to do so in some old synagogues or mosques ?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Has anyone figured out why it's important for atheists to hold Sunday services in former Christian churches like Christians do, or why they have to be so preoccupied over Christianity in the first place? And does anyone know if they've tried to do so in some old synagogues or mosques ?

Simple answer, it is a former church which closed due to lack of people going there. The building was converted into a space available to rent for bands, meetings etc. The Sunday Assembly presumably chose it due to size and price - no particular mystery, and this was covered pages back.

Former churches now range from theatres and childrens soft play places, to nightclubs, gyms and much more.
As less people believe the Christian teachings they struggle to stay open and this trend is continuing fast in the UK.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

To have these meetings on a Sunday is closer to Gods word of law "sabbath" than if they had the meetings on a Saturday.

The christian Sunday worship is against Gods 4th commandment. So basicall most christans dont respect their own Gods law. If anyony one should be criticised for having a meeting on Sunday it should be the christians.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Here you go.

Eastern Europe (Russia and Greece) changed to the Gregorian system in the 20th century, they had to drop 13 days from their calendars, due to the additional difference between the two calendars accumulated after 1582.

With the unification of China under the Kuomintang in October 1928, the Nationalist Government decreed that effective 1 January 1929 the Gregorian calendar would be used. However, China retained the Chinese traditions of numbering the months and a modified Era System, backdating the first year of the ROC to 1912; this system is still in use in Taiwan where the ROC government retains control. Upon its foundation in 1949, the People's Republic of China continued to use the Gregorian calendar with numbered months, but abolished the ROC Era System and adopted Western numbered years.

en.wikipedia.org...

Which means absolutely nothing and provides no evidence of a diety . . .

The motivation for the Gregorian reform was that the Julian calendar assumes that the time between vernal equinoxes is 365.25 days, when in fact it is almost 11 minutes shorter. The discrepancy results in a drift of about three days every 400 years

Actually, it was known well before Gregory's switch as Hipparchus, a greek, worked out the correct timing of the calendar when he discovered the procession of the equinoxes in 127 B.C. The Julian was off and Gregory corrected it . . . if not for the Julian, the western world would have been using the correct calendar, thanks to the Greeks . . . not Gregory.

If you are going to try to imply some esoteric meaning behind the calendar . . . at least know the history of astronomy, so as not to sound foolish.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PrivateSi

I kindly ask you to reply in a more well mannered fashion next time.
With that being said, I never claimed to be an agnostic. I am a firm believer in a supreme consciousness, a divine creator, who/which must be conscious as existence/the universe would presumable not exist if there were no conscience to exprience its existence. What came first? The big bang or the conscience who expeienced it or did it happen simultainously?

However, I do not follow any traditional religion. I am honored to hear about others theories, well aware that they will influence my own judgment in the end, but that is what makes life worth appreciating; the natural/god given right to make your own decisions and have your own oppinions and beliefs.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
since it appears to me now that *some* folk of faith would like to derail this thread, i may as well bite..

The thing is. there is a organisation that claims to have Gods authority on earth. And that organisation have great authority conserning just about everyone in the world. Even you, because you fallow their callander and time as just about everyone else does.

trouble is, thats only a little part of the story, and claiming that following a calendar or any method of noting time (simply descriptive after all) gives worthwhile or significant control over people is just nuts.

how do you feel about classical planets, roman gods and rulers, or norse gods controlling you, if what you say is true?

the gregorian calendar, once again, is an adjustment of the julian

It was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII, after whom the calendar was named, by a decree signed on 24 February 1582; the decree, a papal bull, is known by its opening words, Inter gravissimas.[5] The Gregorian calendar was adopted initially by the Catholic countries of Europe, with other countries adopting it over the following centuries. The motivation for the Gregorian reform was that the Julian calendar assumes that the time between vernal equinoxes is 365.25 days, when in fact it is almost 11 minutes shorter. The discrepancy results in a drift of about three days every 400 years. At the time of Gregory's reform there had already been a drift of 10 days since Roman times, resulting in the spring equinox falling on 11 March instead of the ecclesiastically fixed date of 21 March, and moving steadily earlier in the Julian calendar. Because the spring equinox was tied to the celebration of Easter, the Roman Catholic Church considered this steady movement in the date of the equinox undesirable.

The Julian calendar was in general use in Europe and Northern Africa until 1582, when Pope Gregory XIII promulgated the Gregorian calendar. Reform was required because too many leap days are added with respect to the astronomical seasons on the Julian scheme. On average, the astronomical solstices and the equinoxes advance by about 11 minutes per year against the Julian year. As a result, the calculated date of Easter gradually moved out of alignment with the March equinox

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

as for the weekdays, depends where you live, obvs, however...

en.wikipedia.org...

so are pagans controlling your life?

is your day today being controlled by odin or mercury? or perhaps some other pagan deity?

yes, it is silly. can people now gather on a sunday if they want to, and not neccessarily in a currently active christian church with a vicar/priest etc etc leading proceedings?
i wont be there, but i'll happily defend their right.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
reply to post by PrivateSi

Your version of an evil dictatorial god is very similar to the one written about in the old testament of the Christian Bible

Fully agreed - but in the Church of pSi 'god' is only a concept of the mind (and you're welcome not to believe coz we've BUILT THE HEAVEN MACHINE - in the future, obviously) - god(s) in no way exists in The True (shared) Reality...

"Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth? Ooh, heaven is a place on earth. They say in heaven love comes first. We'll make heaven a place on earth"... Belinda Carliles, "Heaven on Earth"...

As an EX-THEIST not really into cheesy pop too much anymore I still love that tune - and now in a PHILOSOPHICAL WAY... 'The Hunter' by 'The God Machine' is also worth a listen - 'A true hunter weeps at a merciless killing' and 'What do you do when you feel like you're living A LIE!?' are the main lyrics...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Correct. The papal see goes bact to the time of Babylon. Keep reding your sources and you will pick up on all this.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Certainly for *most* people, Sunday is a better option as less people work that day than the rest of the week.
Also, many sporting events happen on Saturday so clashing with the football/rugby would be a stupid move for any organisation.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Correct i gave a snip of the whole story, But so did you.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The issue in the matter of religious or atheist beliefs is that both one too many times never respect the other party's (not opposing) theory by studying the teachings and theories of both and even then, there are several other beliefs that one should consider before making up one's mind. If one would consider him-or herselff as fair that is.
edit on 13-3-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

I agree, and after studying various faiths over the years I came to the conclusion that there is no evidence to support any of them. That is why I do not believe in any gods.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Just curious? Who even gets together as a group to talk about religion unless you are going to church?

The way you keep saying this just makes me think all the Atheists are going to get together and bad mouth the Christians. Are you guys going to just sit around and talk about what doesnt exist?

My ex-girlfriend's entire family was Atheist.. and they made a clear and almost rude point to everyone else that anyone that believes in a religion is an idiot. I had never really experienced Atheists until this point and it really set the tone for what I thought about them.

I dont go to church, I have never really been religious. Some things have happened in my life and certain observations that just make me KNOW that something else is going on. I am a VERY scientific person and can find many things to ask an Atheist that will stump them.

I highly doubt love and all the magical things about life are coincidental...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by SaturnFX

If God tucked its entire being into a simple meatbag human body and wandered around earth for awhile...would he/she be a atheist...

I believe NewAgeMan is correct in assessment that the energy of God is within even the atheist, though the atheist denies the existence of God within and without his being. Just because the atheist denies the existence of the breath of God within does not make it absent, but the denial of God's energy does somewhat negate some of the more positive aspects of existence.
Wise people understand that no one says that all of God is within one body, but exists in all of us and all of creation. The atheist then, in denying the existence of God, really denies His Consciousness, and acts as if it is man himself which created everything.
Man is a co-creator with God, that is, man is not fully responsible for creation, but is involved in creative acts when he uses the God-given energy. Thus man can create beautiful things with the energy of God, or he can use his free will to create ugly forms, but all is within the existence of the creative energy.

Hindus understood these things when they wrote down the vedic scriptures.

An atheist "denies god" in the same way one would deny a unicorn, a spacecraft around the moon, or some guy in Arkansas named Bob...all of them are simply unknown..no declaration that they don't exist..just not known to exist.
Now granted, some guy named Bob in Arkansas may be more reasonable to have a leap of faith that he is out there given the common frequency of men, that name, and that Arkansas is known to be populated..but until there is evidence presented, then its just an assumption...one that must be weighed as to logic and reasoning.
Bob..sure, its not a stretch. Spacecraft...well, there you start wondering why, what is the void it fills that only a spacecraft can answer and is there actual evidence considering there hasn't been any documented before (publically at least). and it goes up from there...elvis sightings, djinn's, griffons, elves, deities, Dr Manhattan, etc.

Not sure if these views deny anything outside of just assumed existence.

As far as my connection to the universe..well, I like to entertain there is a order to things..and that order may be far beyond my comprehension...but that's just a personal choice belief to make sense of the chaos..there is more to this thought, but ultimately its just my own "connection" I call it.
You will find most atheists have a lot of speculations and such...and the thing they mostly don't accept without proof is the biblical cloudmen deities..not some overall thread that ties all things together..hell, you can even start using some basic physics to prove that much at least (things don't just happen randomly..everything...everything is a effect to some previous cause..be it a wind blowing, a wave crashing, a meteor falling, or you yawning...all things like a giant universe sized pool table with molecules going exactly where they are meant to go.)
pre-deterministic outlook...weird to consider.

Which then makes one wonder if life is an enigma that goes against the cause and effect universe, or if we are just self aware rocks thinking we are intentionally rolling down the hill, not realizing there is no other choice.

See, drop organized religion and you can start truly contemplating really cool ideas.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

And to be honest man your whole Mermaid , and mystic dragons spill is getting a bit old. I can really see how that could be insulting to people of faith.

I have a hunch that you are not a very seasoned individual.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Correct. The papal see goes bact to the time of Babylon. Keep reding your sources and you will pick up on all this.

Oh . . . gotcha. So now we are into the whole "Mystery Babylon" tract.

This is where I leave you to it . . . While I enjoyed the works of 'ol Bill Cooper . . . at least talking about religion with believers can lead to conversations about moral worth within the mythology. I gave up on the esoteric conspiracy convos some years back.

Enjoy.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join