It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concrete Canvas Shelters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A material that has all the elements of concrete, but is flexible enough to be turned into any shape. This technology allows people to erect permanent structures in a fraction of the time needed for traditional building techniques.

The Concrete Canvas Shelter is a rapidly deployable hardened structure that requires only water and air for construction..These permanent structures (each one has a design life of 10-plus years)and can be easily constructed in less than an hour. The canvas comes attached to a polyethylene frame, which can be inflated into a shelter using an electric fan. After securing the shelter with ground anchors, douse it with water and let it set for approximately 48 hours, at which point it's ready to use.This has great implications? for disaster relief i want one how about you? peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wonder if you can dig a hole and set up one of these and bury it with 3 feet of soil on top.
Could be handy for an underground shelter.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Cool,

After watching the 1st and 2nd season of "Walking Dead", I may have to invest in one of these

However, I still believe that a structure below ground would offer protection from more hazards.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

i think i saw this on Dragons Den some time ago they were trying to get some financial backing .

they say that they have a ten year life but i can see them lasting a lot longer .
in the uk we had prefabricated houses that housed people after their homes where bombed during ww2
they also had a ten year life span , but people were still living in them more than thirty years later .

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
davjan4
Yes they can be used like that the concrete canvas is also used in civil construction and military sectors including ditch lining, slope stabilisation, pipeline protection, roofing, foundation blinding, asbestos containment, water tanks, flood defences, shotcrete replacement, tunnel lining, retaining walls, building cladding, sandbag reinforcement, gabion reinforcement, expedient resurfacing and dust suppression. peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing this!!! I also want one
As you mentioned this would be amazing for Disaster relief. Just think of those Staten Island, NY hurricane victims living in tents. I also wonder (just curious) how much the thing weighs

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

MDDoxs
They can be used below ground..They would be great for a zombie invasion
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
THis is so freaking cool, thanks! I want to test it out, wonder if the homeowners association will mind?

edit on 3/8/2013 by TheOtter because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neOrevolutionist

neOrevolutionist
I want one also! from what i understand the weight is 7kg/sqm, 12kg/sqm so thats pretty heavey..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
I wonder if you can dig a hole and set up one of these and bury it with 3 feet of soil on top.
Could be handy for an underground shelter.

In the video it shows they can be buried.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

TheOtter
I'm sure the homeowners association wouldn't care its really a neat set up would love to own one myself..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

tom.farnhill
I could defiantly see these shelters lasting allot longer then 10 years id say 30 or more years..You can drill holes in them to put electricity into them i think this would be a wonderful idea for disaster relief and should be looked into more..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

abeverage
Your right they can go underground its a great set up..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I am? Well that doesn't happen often...HA! Well this will help my over-inflated ego!

here is some more information if you like to learn more. I for one would love to build a bunker with one of these!

concretecanvas.co.uk...
concretecloth.milliken.com...

edit on 8-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

abeverage
Thanks for the links..What i like about these shelters is the sterile environment a medical group on the field could use these to even perform operations in these shelters..There is so many things the shelters could be used for..Just the fabric its self is already being used for many different things its just amazing to me..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm interested in the cost to see if it is a cost effective shelter. I could build a 24' x24' shelter with a four inch slab, eight inch block walls, and six inch reinforced concrete roof slab complete with rubber coating and a commercial steel 42 inch door and cement block lined chimney for under ten grand A drain and small septic and drainfield along with a masonry lined chimney could run another three grand.

I'd rather create a pyramid shaped reinforced concrete shelter myself with a central fireplace
I could get a permit for a sauna

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'm interested in the cost to see if it is a cost effective shelter. I could build a 24' x24' shelter with a four inch slab, eight inch block walls, and six inch reinforced concrete roof slab complete with rubber coating and a commercial steel 42 inch door and cement block lined chimney for under ten grand A drain and small septic and drainfield along with a masonry lined chimney could run another three grand.

I'd rather create a pyramid shaped reinforced concrete shelter myself with a central fireplace
I could get a permit for a sauna

I tracked down prices on this concrete-fabric shelter a year or so ago. I don't recall the specifics, but I want to say it was almost 40K in the US. Way, way beyond anything I considered a workable value.

Do you have a source for plans of the concrete block shelter you described? I'm always on the lookout for cost-effective goodies....

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I have not seen confirmed prices for these shelters but did see CCS25: $25,259.00 Plus tax,
CCS54: $31,600.00 Plus tax in a forum. If that is true then thanks but no thanks. The fact that the website forces you to ask for a quote isn't a good sign.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

rickymouse
The cost is around $2100, you could literally build a underground complex for $8000.. But there are many other fields where this technology could successfully be deployed. peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

daskakik

Im going to have to look deeper into this priceing i didnt come up with anything that spendy but mmaybe your right..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join