It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bullingdon Club Member' DID Burn £50 In Front Of A Tramp, Student Alleges

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Oh right, so now we've turned it into "don't murder those children...murder those children"

I completely agree… that was a pathetically immature comment for someone to make and wish to distance myself from comments such as that.

And to Muckster of course I know that living on the streets is not a good position to be in, but my point is that there are many people who with a few lifestyle changes don't have to be, but they make a choice, drugs and alcohol, that is their choice and I don't see why I should be responsible for their decisions, no one is responsible for mine.

Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but this comment makes you sound like someone who hasn’t got a clue about addiction and the complex issues that can cause it. If only it was as simple as a “choice”!
Do you really believe someone wakes up one day and says "I think its time for a career change, maybe i'll try my luck at alcoholic homeless person"

Of course you are not responsible for others decisions… and of course no one is responsible for yours… but isn’t it nice if someone offers you a helping hand if you do make a mistake in life or slip up?

But hey ho, I'll leave you all to your faux indignation in forum land, while I go back and live in the real world

Faux indignation? Please explain to me how you can come to this conclusion when you do not even know me? Hmmm… maybe the same way you come to your conclussions about the homeless and people with addictions… Opinionated assumptions, with little solid backing perhaps?

And I still think that this doesn't exactly meet the "Alternative Breaking News" section, not saying it should not be discussed but it's hardly important headline stuff.

Hardly important stuff? The leaders of our country allegedly having a past that includes taunting homeless people!! The very people that they are supposed to be helping. I would consider that far more important than fake UFO’s on youtube, camera glitches being passed off as supernatural entities, and imaginary monsters of the deep. But maybe our priorities in life are simply too far apart to reach an agreement on this issue.

Fair enough... we are all entitled to our opinions.

Peace.

edit on 1-3-2013 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Knobby
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Also, who from a working class background will be able to pay the £9000 per year tuition fees for just about any course in England and Wales. And that's without living expenses on top of that.

If you are staying away from home then I would dread to think what the final bill would be.

I wonder when the boys formulated that particular plan to keep the poor uneducated.

I'm sorry, this constant misunderstanding of Tuition fees and it's (deliberate) misrepresentation annoys the crap out of me.

It doesn't cost anyone £9000 to go to Uni. They get a loan which pays it for them.

After they Graduate, they then have to pay the money back once they earn over £21k (or thereabouts) and even then, the payments are on a gradient in relation to your pay, so at the lowest end it works out as £31 a month. Even then, the debt is written off after a certain period anyway, no matter if you pay it off or not.

Do you honestly expect people to believe that someone on £21k a year cannot afford £30 a month? That's less than most TV, phone or internet subscriptions and I bet they could afford them....

To then peddle the nonsense that "people from working class backgrounds" can't go to Uni based on the above, is totally wrong. If someone has the aptitude, they can go to Uni and they don't have to worry about finding £9k a year.to pay for it.

If you want to rant against the "Elites" at least do it from a logical standpoint, not paranoid, tabloid trash nonsense.

Sorry, I didn't think I needed to say that loans were available. If fact, they were introduced when I was at university many years ago, but these were to top up your living allowance. Yes, I was also given a bursary...a bursary from a tory government, no less...maybe they saw the benefits of a free education.

It's actually a bit more if you are on 21k a year ( £39) but I don't think it would take much over 30k a year for you to be paying the full whack of your 4 x 9k loan over 25 years. By that time you will be very close to the 40% tax band as well. It all takes its toll on your take home pay.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the figures above, but my main point is that education in the whole of the UK should be as free as possible.

On a totally different point, some people ( person) seems to think that I dislike rich people...I don't. I admire people who make their wealth from their own graft and I am also against the idea of any kind of inheritance tax. I'm just against a certain type of person who gets a bit silly with it.

And again, this thread is no longer about a credible story, it's all about rumours.

new topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join