It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wake of the Wind [LOWWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
There are moments in a person’s life, if one so has the fortune, that can melt away the cold of the restless world, as the rays of the morning sun lift away the dew from the grass on a cold spring’s morning. A mere moment in time, perhaps just a fleeting one, like the skipping of a heartbeat, that are worth more than all the gold in the world.

When that moment arrives what do you do with it? Do you recognize it for what it is, for what is being offered, or do you sit by and watch it pass on like two ships on the wake of the wind. Whose sails pass briefly, just a moment in time, a mere exhalation, but one that can take your breath away, make you tremble with anticipation, the way the golden aspen leaves tremble on a cool autumn’s breeze. Do you let the sails align, or do you let them drift apart on the vast pristine ocean of blue we call life?

It was simply supposed to be a vacation, a get-away from the mere routine of a mundane life, a nine-to-five job, and endless stress. And yet there I was torn between two worlds. One that I had entered and had stolen my heart, like a thief in the night, and one that I was comfortable with.

That moment for me came on my second evening at the beach. I was walking along the seashore contemplating the gentle lap of the ocean’s peaceful waves against the beach, sifting its warm sands between my toes, enjoying the peaceful gentle breeze rushing softly against my face. The sky to the west was painted beautiful hues of orange and red, and far off on the horizon a thundercloud just popped its head out, trying to menace in the distance as it lit up with lightning, but too far in the distance to be heard or to be concerned about.

The pace of life was so much more peaceful here. The cares of the world, seemed to melt away. I felt myself smiling as I looked up to see who approached. And while I can say that the beauty of this tropical paradise had already taken my heart, the beauty of what stood before me took what was left remaining. She was perfection. Long black flowing hair, big black eyes, a beautiful body covered only by a red bikini, and a wonderful smile on her face. She was laughing and chasing a hat that was drifting in the breeze. Her eyes met mine and she smiled, I returned the smile, and felt myself melt, like honey on a hot day. That’s all I could do to describe it. I quickly lurched for the hat and found myself being splashed by the cool ocean’s waves that were steadily approaching high tide.

I walked forward and offered the hat to the woman who took it and smiled at me as a reward. I could not speak her language, and I foolishly tried to introduce myself. She just laughed and offered me a hand. I took it, gentle but firm in my hand, and told her I was pleased to meet her. Not long after we met and were trying to converse, two others came running to join us. No doubt they were her friends. They all insisted on me joining them, with hand gestures and giggles that got the point across without actual language that I could understand.

We laughed and drinked, and danced, until the silvery moon had finished casting its faithful gaze over the ocean and had set in the west. A man who was playing a guitar had long since begun to snore, and the rest of the people had drifted off to sleep under the beautiful stars that painted the early morning night overhead. The bonfire had died down, only embers were left, as I was left staring into the eyes of the most beautiful woman I had ever met, and would ever want to meet again.

She was simple and kind. Fun and vibrant. And there she was now, just me and her, and the darkness, and the ocean, and the stars overhead. I had taken her hand in mine. And she had taken the liberty to lay her head on my shoulder. Time seemed to stand still. Then I leaned over and like a boy trying to steal his first kiss, my lips brushed against hers. Tasted of the salt from the ocean that had sprayed them. Then found myself lost in the passion of her loving arms as way laid back on the sand.

The week passed by like mere moments. She knew not my language, I scarcely knew enough words in hers to get by on very basic conversation. But I knew I was in love. And my heart knew that the vacation was coming to an end. I had to return home.

I looked at my watch, if the flight was going to be on time I would be in the air within the hour. Then my eyes gaze focused out the airport window off toward the ocean. I felt my heart was still there. I looked down to the airplane ticket in my hand and then again to the watch on my wrist. I knew why I kept looking at the time.

Then I heard her voice, as beautiful to my ears as the sent of rose petals are to smell. I was sure it was my imagination, but I looked up to see her standing there, tears in her eyes. The departure light turned on as my airplane taxied to a halt and people hurriedly began to unboard. Why were they in a hurry, I wondered to myself.

She stepped forward hesitantly. I stepped forward. Her body brushed against mine, and I found myself lost in her lips, as tears streamed down her face. I wiped them away and felt a tear come to my own. It was time to board. I had to let her go.

You see, there are moments in a person’s life, if one so has the fortune, moments where they are aware of such joy and bliss. When that moment arrives what do you do with it? Do you recognize it for what it is, for what is being offered, or do you sit by and watch it pass on like two ships on the wake of the wind.

I smiled to myself as I watched the jetliner fly overhead. I was in a Jeep, at the wheel, with my love, my heart, hanging on to my right arm, with the beach on my left, and a new world, a new life before me.
edit on 21-2-2013 by SubAce because: punctuation, spelling, a couple of words changed to ending.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

Very nicely done.

I particularly liked the ending, the twist at the end was very good.

S&F.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Breathtakingly sweet, that, and refreshing.

So nice to see real expressions of love from a male perspective, and a sacrifice to keep it.

Thank you for the wonderful story.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

That was a fantastic piece of writing. For me the best entry I've read so far. I suspect you're already a published author, and if not why not?

You really got the analogy angle spot on, it was beautiful, and only two typos that I could find and that ranks high with me.

This is the first writing comp that I've followed on here in a couple of years, and I've been surprised how many of the entries have been about relationships between woman and man. Is that normal, a result of the theme or just coincidence?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SubAce

Very nicely done.

I liked this one very much

S & F

Good to see others taking interest in writing here at ATS.

Very reminiscent style...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Thank you all for you kind remarks. I did not expect to log on to see all of this.
It makes me feel good that someone else enjoyed the story.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This was fantastic. I really enjoyed it, I have a similar story I have been thinking of entering into the contest, but it's not half as romantic as this! Maybe having this contest close to valentine's people are just in lovey moods, because I can almost feel the passion coming off the keyboard as I read this! So far, this contest has been my fave, and I am so glad I don't have to judge the entries, there is no way I could pick just one.

join