It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York To Round Up Mentally Ill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I was thinking that this has to be a joke. Perhaps someone can look into it more.

New york has planned a "mental hygiene" round up to force medications onto the mentally ill who do not take their medications. They plan to track down these people using high tech GPS tracking technology!

www.nypost.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TwelveFifty

the headline sounds worrying ofc, but the article sheds a little more light..

The measure follows a pair of high-profile subway-shove fatalities from December allegedly involving mentally ill individuals.The city has already drawn up a list of 25 targets, sources said.

“After the Queens subway attack [of immigrant Sunando Sen], the [city] decided to take a proactive approach to track down the most dangerous mental-health patients that currently have mental-hygiene warrants” out for them, a law-enforcement source said.

Those warrants mean that the patients are not wanted for a crime but instead are being sought because they are not getting their court-ordered treatment.

if a court deems someone enough of a risk to order specific treatment (i assume that a medical professional's advice would be part of the case), then is it not responsible to see this through?

only 25 cases are mentioned so far, and a "handful of cops" are assigned to it - this seems reasonable enough at this level, the danger is though that this is the thin end of a poorly assessed and agenda driven wedge.

the other danger is that dangerously ill people that require treatment and support to operate effectively and safely within the community dont get what they genuinely need - but who assesses this?

edit on 19-2-2013 by skalla because: clarity

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

the other danger is that dangerously ill people that require treatment and support to operate effectively and safely within the community dont get what they genuinely need - but who assesses this?

edit on 19-2-2013 by skalla because: clarity

I'm going to assume its similar to the way it works in California. The assessment takes place as a part of the original incident that brought the individual to the attention of the courts. Part of the release would be a stipulation that the individual continues to seek care along with medication. When that individual drops off the radar they would be flagged, It would be similar to missing your court ordered probation requirements.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm glad you clarified that they are already wanted, Cuz going by the title, my first thought was "Where in the hell are they gonna put that many people, as the population of New York is quite large."

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
When they shut down the State Mental Health Hospitals in the 80s, this was all set in motion. Government decided to turn people loose with no follow-up and expected local communities, charities, and schools to look after those people with no training and no tools.

The system has been a mess ever since.
Time to reopen the institutional mental health facilities?

It's an ugly situation. Monstrous.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Yes, that would be a heck of a task to round up all the seemingly "mentally ill" folks in New York city, or anywhere for that matter. The way I read this is that its more of a compliance check .

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It starts with just several of the most dangerous.

After all, it's for safety. Right?

Then when we're all feeling safe and comfortable once again, they make another sweep.

Then another.

Then another.

So folks, save the Big Brothers time and trouble. Get chipped, take your mind-numb and obey.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It doesn't sound too bad from the article but things like this usually start out sounding reasonable. The problem is it eventually progresses into a violation of rights.

Here's the problem, these people aren't wanted for something they have done in the past.
Instead they are wanted based on a shrink's prediction they will be violent. Really it's pre-crime analysis.

I'm sure these first 25 cases will not raise any flags but what about the next few.

Remember, there are plenty of shrinks who think people who frequent boards like ATS have a probability of dangerous behavior. They can even point to a handful of posters who ended up killing people.

There is really nothing preventing a shrink from reading posts, deciding a person is "possibly dangerous" and then committing them. Combine this with the gun mental illness list and you have a very scary situation.

There is no system of checks to prevent this from happening. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Just what they need to do. Give them more Meds. so they stop shoving people off the platform, and start shooting them instead.

ChangeDaChannel up loaded a good look at the mass shootings. (1/29/2013) entitled (School shootings, big Pharma, Scammers. Boss 203) Everyone of the shooters was on some kind of mental meds. Watching the whole video is great. But if you want to get to the part about the shootings, start at 3:30 min.

I know first hand, what these kind of meds can do to the way a person thinks. I have done an intensive study of Mental illness and the effects of meds and their side effects on them. It ain't pretty.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Suohhen

I've disclosed (in the past) on ATS that my field of study in grad school was developmental neurobiology. I'd really like to take a look at your research because this has been my suspicion for quite some time as well.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Those warrants mean that the patients are not wanted for a crime but instead are being sought because they are not getting their court-ordered treatment.

From the article.

This is only for people who were mandated by the court to take their funny pills. If they aren't doing that, and then going out and endangering people, then they must deal with the consequences of those actions.

I do disagree with the whole GPS tag thing.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think they should start at the State Capitol in with Gov. Cuomo and then the rest of the legislature - they are obviously all delusional and in need of medication.

They can follow up with a large round-up in NYC; Bloomberg and his crew are in need of rounding up as well.

Then they can head to D.C. and hit up all their Congressmen and Senators starting with Chuck Schumer.

It would have more impact on the safety of the citizens of NY than this little enterprise.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Here's the problem, these people aren't wanted for something they have done in the past.
Instead they are wanted based on a shrink's prediction they will be violent. Really it's pre-crime analysis.

The Mental Hygiene Warrant (Involuntary Psychiatric Evaluation Section: 9.43) is not a random law enforcement tool. It was designed to give families a way to petition the court to evaluate a family member who may be a danger to themselves or others. I am not a supporter of the round up the mentally ill crowd, but I do feel that any help out there for families who are watching over loved ones who tend toward violence when not maintaining a mental health plan is , well, helpful.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suohhen
Just what they need to do. Give them more Meds. so they stop shoving people off the platform, and start shooting them instead.

ChangeDaChannel up loaded a good look at the mass shootings. (1/29/2013) entitled (School shootings, big Pharma, Scammers. Boss 203) Everyone of the shooters was on some kind of mental meds. Watching the whole video is great. But if you want to get to the part about the shootings, start at 3:30 min.

I know first hand, what these kind of meds can do to the way a person thinks. I have done an intensive study of Mental illness and the effects of meds and their side effects on them. It ain't pretty.

Yes, It really is not pretty. I happen to be so sensitive to medications that I have been unable to take part in any "mental healing through pills" therapies, and I am very grateful for that. In all my years on the other side of the desk I have only met with one member of the psychiatric community willing to work with me despite my inability to medicate. While i appreciate the idea of welfare checks and family support, I realize that as long as we consider conformity and forced medication the Only road to mental health we will continue to miss opportunities to study new possibilities in healing.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Heard a good one on a sitcom last night.....

"I was wondering if Obamacare covers cray cray?"

Had me laughing out loud.

Is it sad that for a second I thought, "oh good, I get some down time, someone will feed me etc".

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
When they shut down the State Mental Health Hospitals in the 80s, this was all set in motion. Government decided to turn people loose with no follow-up and expected local communities, charities, and schools to look after those people with no training and no tools.

That is exactly the problem.

In the UK, we did the same thing except they call it 'care in the community' (aka kick the loonies out of these expensive hospitals and sell the land to developers for millions)...quite a number of innocent bystanders have been killed by mental people 'feeling better' and not taking their medicines. People that would still be alive today if proper care and attention had been given to the violently mentall ill.

I agree those afflicted by mental illness that are violent should be forced to take their medicine, but i also think drugs alone are not the answer by itself. Proper care, regular monitoring and mental councilling should be routine for them too.

The best way to ensure that the mental people cannot decide to not take their meds, as they very often start to feel better, and stop taking them, which then leads them to go into psychosis again, is to deliver the meds via timed release implants.

The meds are released over a period of 6 months to several years, and when the implant is nearing it's end, a new one is inserted using a simple syringe.

They have had this system available for at least 10 years for women who want birth control drugs. It comes in a thin strip, an inch or so long, and delivers the drug over a long period of time.

This is what they should be using with people who have mental illness who need regular drugs to keep them from flipping out and becoming violent.

ETA: I know what i'm talking about here, my wife was a mental health nurse for many years and saw all this first hand.
edit on 20-2-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Originally posted by wildtimes

I agree those afflicted by mental illness that are violent should be forced to take their medicine, but i also think drugs alone are not the answer by itself. Proper care, regular monitoring and mental councilling should be routine for them too.

edit on 20-2-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

I'd like to add that those of us that have had a diagnosis do not hold the monopoly on violent behaviors. I can see how it would seem that way in the press and in the courtroom after the fact. Habitual violence caused or helped along or blamed on certain recreational drugs and alcohol abuse notwithstanding for the purpose of this thread. What i'm thinking of are conditions like Addison's disease for example, and the over prescribing of Prednisone without acknowledging the mental health issues associated with it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That is impossible, where are they going to house the whole population of New York City. Maybe they can just make New York City a gated community.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

I wasn't saying that all those suffering menatl illness are violent and should be forced to take drugs..only those that actually are violent or show violent tendencies should be.

It should also be noted that the majority of violent behaviour and crime is not comitted by those diagnosed as mentally ill.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join