It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fossilized Spines and Vertebrae of Big Creatures in Curiosity Sol 109!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Originally posted by rickymouse
Maybe NASA released these photos to get people's response to them before publishing what they think they may be. They could let someone discover this like they did before. That is good business, let the public get involved so they don't mind contributing. They look like vertebrae but even if they are, the reason they are there could be different than that there was life there. A dinosaur getting thrown into space by a supervolcano or impact by a big asteroid lands on Mars. Does that sound so far fetched?

or aliens captured a dinosaur and took it back to mars to have a dino B-B-Q, dinosaurs might have been gooood eating!

Probably tasted like chicken

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Not to be too negative but these just look to me to be signs of perhaps ancient volcanic activity. I have seen rocks here in the southwest desert that looks like skulls, animals, bones, etc. and it turns out to just be more rocks and volcanic 'stones'.
I didn't read all the posts but someone was asking if Nasa colored them to look more like rocks, where I think the opposite is true, the OP colored them to show what he was pointing out.
Unfortunately I haven't seen any 'smoking gun' yet.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
my god people, has no one heard of photoshop?

We know Nasa sure has.
~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

my post makes it abundantly clear that i do not consider myself an expert, and also that i have been handling bones for considerably longer than 2 years.. the more one learns about a subject the more you realise just how much is left to learn.
like i said earlier, i rock hound a lot, and always find rocks that resemble other stuff. heck, i even once found a rock that looked uncannily like the face of a friend - thankfully reality was present and i did not believe that he had been decapitated, petrified and buried along my path

I think it is appropriate to be skeptical. Don't get me wrong. But there is a difference between skepticism and having your mind already made up.

My husband has been an x-ray technician for over 16 years. That is looking at bones, all day, every day for those 16 years. I showed him this one, and he wouldn't believe the source was legit until he looked into it himself because--"If that is a real photo from NASA then there are fossils on mars". He feels that he can clearly see the spinous process of at least four vertabrae, although it appears at least one is broken off, and another that is less damaged ( eroded?) Also, what appears to be the corresponding costal facets as well, although the angle makes it difficult to be certain.

I am a rock hound too, and reasonably firm in biology. I have found more than a few bones; scattered and isolated to be sure, but fossil bones none the less. I don't know if I am willing to go as far as my husband; it could be a trick of the light in the photo, and the eye trying to make sense of what it sees. However, if I saw that pattern lying in the sand I would sure be hustling my hiney right on over there to get a better look.

I respectfully disagree. This one cannot be dismissed out of hand.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

If so, you'd have to accuse NASA, as the pics are from THEIR site....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

How on earth do we take this further?.. I sure havent got a spare mars rover laying around I can throw at Mars.

All I see is some color altered images highlighting bone like water eroded rocks, a type of rock or rocks that are similar to ones ive held many times myself that when broken can make all sorts of odd and weirdly organic shapes. Heck Ive got a piece somewhere (if it hasnt been crush to pieces over the last few decades in the garden) that makes your typical slice of Swiss cheese look almost solid its that lacy.

Any image that requires the claimant to highlight with another color (oddly bone like yellow) the objects in question to make them visible to everyone else is most likely conning you, they arent highlight something their fashioning your perception to see what they want you to see (The human brain likes it when thats done for it, and once its seen that sort of thing its hard to unseen it).

Mars had water we can be pretty much certain of that, mars has water eroded rocks, sedimentary rocks, wind & dust eroded rocks, volcanic rocks... and that is all these are. What also makes me laugh is when back with the last Rover you had people pointing out all sorts of things like skulls and beings... then forgetting that alot of the objects in question where ALOT smaller than how they appeared, oh but hey it was a midget alien empire.

Pitty this sort of thing has migrated to this forum. So ill use this as my final conclusion...

Because thats all it is. And my typical disclaimer on things like this, I do believe there are things on Mars we are being kept from and or will find the more we explore the planet, but these 'bones' arent it, not by a long shot.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The OPs photos make great comparisons!

s&f
for that.

Would be awesome if that really is what they are.
If not, still some very cool rock formations.

Thanks for keeping me curious about Mars

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarcartographer
reply to post by Arken

Arkin, I have dismissed most all the photo clips posted on ATS as being something other than rocks ...they are just rocks. That said, these photos in this thread cannot be summarily dismissed as 'just rocks' in my opinion and experience. Although this is not certain proof, they could very well be fossilized spines and vertebrae formed with minerals in the sedimentary rocks, based on the shapes which do indeed look like vertebrae details and not like a natural geological feature. If so they were likely uncovered by Martian weathering.

I have past cartographic and photogrammetric experience working on the 'Apollo Lunar Landing Missions' for NASA under contract by the Agency that I retired from responsible for such work; and I can tell you based on my photogrammetric experience that these are some of the most interesting photos that I have seen from the Rover. Past experience tells me NASA will be very conservative with any comments, until they find something more definative to present for peer review.

Nice work Arken, and keep looking. S&F

Thaks for so meaningful comment.

I appreciate your balanced words that came from a so skilled researcher.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

like i said earlier, i rock hound a lot, and always find rocks that resemble other stuff. heck, i even once found a rock that looked uncannily like the face of a friend - thankfully reality was present and i did not believe that he had been decapitated, petrified and buried along my path

But you did use that rock for your avatar, yes?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Oh, I get it. Derp... thanks.

By the way... What is a spirit (like an "angel") but an ancient alien life form from somewhere else?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Arken

I'm giving this thread a well deserved bump and a big fat S & F

Great presentation.
I love the work done and attention to detail.

Now WHY does this post by Slayer get 7 stars?? What is so illuminating about his post that it merits 7 stars?
If I say good job Arkin, SnF, will I get 7 stars?

It makes me wonder how many undeserved flags and stars some threads receive mainly because they are written by so called "celebrity members of ATS"

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Gwampo

If so, you'd have to accuse NASA, as the pics are from THEIR site....

Not the ones with the color added.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

These images were taken on NOVEMBER 2012 .
Do you remember the NASA/JPL Big Annoncement in November 2012? "Grotzinger gave an interview on NPR public radio on November 20 where he said: "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good."

Seem that, FINALLY, NASA/JPL Curiosity Rovers has found evidences of past life in Gale Crater, so, we waiting the official announcement.

Just FYI, you missed the official announcement back on December 3.

PASADENA, Calif. - NASA's Mars Curiosity rover has used its full array of instruments to analyze Martian soil for the first time, and found a complex chemistry within the Martian soil. Water and sulfur and chlorine-containing substances, among other ingredients, showed up in samples Curiosity's arm delivered to an analytical laboratory inside the rover.

"We have no definitive detection of Martian organics at this point, but we will keep looking in the diverse environments of Gale Crater"

Source

They kind of backed off of their "history books" comment.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RamsOnTop

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Arken

I'm giving this thread a well deserved bump and a big fat S & F

Great presentation.
I love the work done and attention to detail.

Now WHY does this post by Slayer get 7 stars?? What is so illuminating about his post that it merits 7 stars?
If I say good job Arkin, SnF, will I get 7 stars?

It makes me wonder how many undeserved flags and stars some threads receive mainly because they are written by so called "celebrity members of ATS"

Similarly, why did the post on page 9 stating "Did Arken MANIPULATE these photos? YES, he did." get 5 stars.

Some people are incredibly naive and childish. Dissuasion tactics that don't even address the topic and ideas at hand with any level of reason or clout.
edit on 19-2-2013 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

link   
Perhaps the dinosaurs never did die out afterall and were just transported to Mars by some friendly aliens!!!!!!

link   
Imagine this "Martian T-Rex found "

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Could Curiosity's instruments discern the difference between a rock and a fossil?

Just a question... I don't know myself... if so, then JPL should sample the "rocks".

reply to post by Ewok_Boba

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
NASA hiding evidence of life on other worlds (but showing it) in their pics...

I can see the weight of advanced scientific opinion is jaded towards fantasy on this one...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join