It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday in the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
lmao, how exactly do they plan on enforcing this exactly.

Build a few more Jails!

You have the highest population % in jail now.

Jails are free labor camps.

USA leader of the free world! Weeeeeeeeeee!

P

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Bet we will be seeing a whole lot of this going on now

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Chill folks, you'll still be able to do it I would suspect, and since when does a stupid law stop people?

It isn't that the law will stop me from anything. it is that it gives "them" a reason to take away that which i value most: freedom.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Chill folks, you'll still be able to do it I would suspect, and since when does a stupid law stop people?

It isn't that the law will stop me from anything. it is that it gives "them" a reason to take away that which i value most: freedom.

Goes without saying mate
However, if governments keep bringing in stupid laws that the people don't want, then there's going to be a lot of law breaking by regular folks in the next few years.

reply to post by TKDRL

Damn, wonky Imac?

edit on 24-1-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
illigal? you mean like how its illegal to download movies? does anyone really care?, will they enforce it? probably not id say

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hmm doesn't most modern phones have GPS stuff in them? Now you can't mess with the phone ? Seems like a plan at work to me...

No wonder everyone is getting free cell phones these day....let's make sure everyone has one

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Custom roms, primarily in the android section can disable these things. Turn off and even alert you to people trying to PWND your phone. Will they enforce it, yes. We will know when we find out they have maliciously put trackers on these phones that can ring back a code to their main system letting them know its been tampered with.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

One of the main reasons I don't have, nor want a cell phone. Another was the whole "jailing" BS. I had to get it hacked, just so I could make my own ringtones and not buy them...... Bunch of crap.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That is the rub. It is a decision that is fueled by kickbacks from companies that stand to make a fortune.

The same as the "wheelie bin" thread. When laws are written by corporate interests, you get this kind of nonsense.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
And the arm chair commandos with their AR-15's are no where to be found.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
One of the awesome things about existence is you have free will over your actions. Only the fearful actually allow things like this to modify and dictate their behavior. Unlock all you want, folks, and celebrate your freedom.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
You guys have not thought about why the phones are so cheap .
The cell provider is subsidizing your purchase of the phone because you are locked into a plan or to its prepay costs.
If you don't want cheap phones then you should purchase it at retail price .

The cell providers are mostly selling these phones @ cost or below cost .
You cant have your cake and eat it too . companies need to generate a profit or they will fold , we will all loose our jobs if they don't make money. How would you feel if the company you work for sold its products or services for less than what the cost for them to purchase them ?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

If it's illegal then unlocking it may very well still be possible after Saturday but what's the point? It'll mean no other carrier will pick up or allow the registration of the phone. It pretty much bricks it by default.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
...and I double posted.

edit on 25-1-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

If it's illegal then unlocking it may very well still be possible after Saturday but what's the point? It'll mean no other carrier will pick up or allow the registration of the phone. It pretty much bricks it by default.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

How many of us actually use our smartphones to make phone calls, anymore? I've got a company phone I do business and nothing else on and a personal phone I probably use 5% of the time to actually communicate either via voice or text on and 95% of the time to play games or view sophomoric humorous memes and photos on while I'm taking a crap. If my carrier suddenly called me and said "Hey, we're disconnecting you." I'd say "Thanks for no longer charging me outrageous fees", switch the phone from 3G to WiFi, find a signal, and my life would suddenly continue as before.

Every man reaches a point where he no longer gives a damn about stupid nanny laws and inane regulations. I reached that point some years ago and I suspect I'll be joined by a slew of new "rebels" soon. The word "illegal" is utterly meaningless at this point. I care about morally right and just, actually doing my best to follow my Bible's commandments... laws like this? Pfft.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 25-1-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

You cant have your cake and eat it too .

Wanna bet?

The way cell phones charge is already highway robbery(charging for incoming calls as well as outgoing).
They are already making double what they should be, screw those guys.
edit on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:02:53 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The Cell phone carriers subsidized the price of the phone. That is how you get free phones. The cell phone makers have to get paid.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

How many of us actually use our smartphones to make phone calls, anymore? I've got a company phone I do business and nothing else on and a personal phone I probably use 5% of the time to actually communicate either via voice or text on and 95% of the time to play games or view sophomoric humorous memes and photos on while I'm taking a crap.

I take your meaning but at the same time, I know an awful lot of people who don't have the money for a Wi-Fi capable smart phone and make do with lesser units 100% tethered to the Cell service. I admit, the prices are coming down all the time but it's still a pretty tall order to fill for most people. My wife and I simply have HTC Trophy's (Win Phone O/S) and those are wifi capable, although I have to admit it's a pain when I'm moving around locations much and usually keep it on 3-g for ease and function anyway.

Cost of the phone aside? We're paying $170 a month for the two phones with data plans and service. I'd love to unlock them and move them off the current provider the instant the contract is up, since the phones will most definitely outlive the contract the way we take care of them. This makes that a violation of law as I read it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
You guys have not thought about why the phones are so cheap .
The cell provider is subsidizing your purchase of the phone because you are locked into a plan or to its prepay costs.
If you don't want cheap phones then you should purchase it at retail price .

The cell providers are mostly selling these phones @ cost or below cost .
You cant have your cake and eat it too . companies need to generate a profit or they will fold , we will all loose our jobs if they don't make money. How would you feel if the company you work for sold its products or services for less than what the cost for them to purchase them ?

You are working for robbers. Yes your f...g company robbed me. O2 and TM are doing same kind of sh... as FV do. They are plain corporate bastards. I understand your point of view, but you will probably never understand my point of view. I will never sell my skills to corporation.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Would you believe me if I was to tell you that they use your cell phones as a surveillance command and control device?

Of course not.

That's why they succeed and you remain at peasant slave status even though you may have a good job, integrity, and a good salary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join