It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch Architect Building World’s First 3D-printed Landscape House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted but this is a good start to manufacture low cost housings in economically poor countries. Hopefully more R&D would be required but imagine small portable, cost effective houses the size of a small shipping container that can be weather proof and can be delivered via airplane or sea.

“It will be the first 3D printed building in the world. I hope it can be opened to the public when it’s finished,” said Ruijssenaars, who hopes to finish construction of the house by 2014.

Ruijssenaars told 3ders.org that he plans to construct the house from 6 x 9 meter fragments using a massive 3D printer known as D-Shape.

LINK

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Architects (spacial designers) are experts at wasting space, and 18 months to build!

Why can't he do something useful with the time and resources like design space-saving, economical, green, housing that can be modular and produced quickly and cheaply?

Seems this isn't for anything but kudos and winning a competition. Practicality doesn't come into it.

Cool, but daft. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I remember him now. He's the same guy who did this: Floating Bed

He's innovative, that's for sure. As far as making the most use of space is concerned, that didn't happen. That's not where his priority was though. His priority was combining the designing and construction together with the available 3-D computer technology. The end result is homes built without human intervention, aside from who's behind the keyboards making the building machinery do what it does with the specially formulated materials used for the house itself.

And for the poster who complained about building a house in 18 months, I would rather it take that long then to just slap one up in the "fast food" 3 month time frame that the average modern house is built in now. Have you ever lived in one of those? I have in a fairly upper middle class neighborhood, and it's nothing to write home about. Flimsy is one way to describe it. What this guy is essentially doing is making a more practical application for the 3-D technology we already have then simply the gaming applications we see now. He's upping the ante and I'm not seeing a problem with that.

And just for the record, I want that bed.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

This might be far fetched but who the hell knows perhaps NASA might be interested in this eventually to build labs/homes on other planets? (Possibly MARS) using a refined 3D printer.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Ya screw baby steps.... Screw the R&D and the testing phase... Let's not see if it's even possible to do this... let's just jump straight in to the complicated bits.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

This might be far fetched but who the hell knows perhaps NASA might be interested in this eventually to build labs/homes on other planets? (Possibly MARS) using a refined 3D printer.

Interesting comment; this thread outlines the plans to establish a human colony on Mars by 2023. A key part of the plan is to send along 3D printers so the colonists can fabricate parts they need. I never considered that they might use giant 3D printers to make building materials.

new topics

top topics

join