It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"impossible to audit" US Defense Department and Department of Homeland Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This story was buried in the news at the end of last week, a quick mention of Huffington Post but almost no mention anywhere else - the Powers That Be were very, very successful in making sure this story got minimal coverage in mainstream media.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Basically, the GAO found that the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security were so massively flawed that it was impossible to audit either of them.

WASHINGTON -- The Government Accountability Office said Thursday that it could not complete an audit of the federal government, pointing to serious problems with the Department of Defense.

Along with the Pentagon, the GAO cited the Department of Homeland Security as having problems so significant that it was impossible for investigators to audit it. The DHS got a qualified audit for fiscal year 2012, and is seeking an unqualified audit for 2013.

The report released by the GAO on Friday indicates serious accounting problems at two of the largest government agencies: the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Defense has a net cost of $799.1 billion to the federal budget, while the Department of Homeland Security has a net cost of $48.7 billion.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Does anyone seriously believe that direct evidence of the fleecing of America, would be easily obtained?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If it cannot be effectively audited, then it should be shut down and rebuilt properly. We are held to a certain standard when being "allowed" to start our own businesses, it's a total crock that the government should not be held to the same standards, if not higher standards.....

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The article said they would try to have them ready by Sept. 2017................how convenient....4 yrs. from now! It may all be over with by then.

The GAO said that the Pentagon was working on a way to get its financial statements to a point where they could be audited, "following years of unsuccessful financial improvements." The goal is to have such statements ready by September 2017. However, just in October 2011, the goal was to have audit-readiness by fiscal year 2014.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Then Congress should vote to cut funding for both (that is if they did their jobs like they're SUPPOSED to). If an agency cannot prove how much money they need to operate and what the money is to be used for then they shouldn't get any more money until they can.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Especially since they realized they had lost three trillon bucks the day before 9-11, of course Rumsfeld told us something would happen to mitigate all that. If loosing three trillion bucks didn't piss us off enough to anything about it, the lack of ability to audit them a decade or so later probably won't even bounce off our collective skulls.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The Department of Defense has a net cost of $799.1 billion to the federal budget

i love how its called the dept. of defense.

id hate to see the net cost of the dept. of illegal invasions.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Look. You cannot properly fund a Black Budget for all that secret UFO stuff if you are subjected to a proper audit. I mean, that's just silly. You complain about an $800 billion defense budget then demand a $trillion a year be spent on so-called "anti-poverty" programs that have NEVER worked and simply create dependency on government. You think THAT can be audited? You could do ten Black Budgets if you cut out welfare fraud! What you attitude is on gravy trains depends on which one you are on. You don't like the other ones, but you sure don't want your own to stop.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Of course this was done this way purposefully. The agencies considered part of the DoD and DHS, or at least some of them, are incredibly secretive because they are intelligence gathering and disseminating agencies. Just look at some of the stuff that they have been proven to be a part of, including executions, coups, terrorist activities, etc., and imagine how much they have gotten away with. They cannot have any oversight, because if they had it, they could not break the law to do what they want to do.

It is a travesty of justice, and the entire agencies need to be restructured and reorganized. I mean if you buy the official 9/11 story, then these agencies did us absolutely no good, which is almost as bad as letting it happen. And now we have Draconian measures being instituted across the country under the guise of "protection," when THEY are the ones who failed and should be punished. Yet the people are the ones suffering.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
This story was buried in the news at the end of last week, a quick mention of Huffington Post but almost no mention anywhere else - the Powers That Be were very, very successful in making sure this story got minimal coverage in mainstream media.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Basically, the GAO found that the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security were so massively flawed that it was impossible to audit either of them.

WASHINGTON -- The Government Accountability Office said Thursday that it could not complete an audit of the federal government, pointing to serious problems with the Department of Defense.

Along with the Pentagon, the GAO cited the Department of Homeland Security as having problems so significant that it was impossible for investigators to audit it. The DHS got a qualified audit for fiscal year 2012, and is seeking an unqualified audit for 2013.

The report released by the GAO on Friday indicates serious accounting problems at two of the largest government agencies: the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Defense has a net cost of $799.1 billion to the federal budget, while the Department of Homeland Security has a net cost of $48.7 billion.

Last time the Department of Defense was fully audited that I know about(on September 10th, 2001), over 2 trillion USD was "missing" and "unaccounted for"(that would be like 8 trillion today). I am kind of scared to see what would happen if it was audited again.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The stinkier issues, such as this, get pushed back over and over again, for the next administration to sort out, who in turn, bury it again and wait for the next lot to get back back in. It's a cover-up cycle that just never ends.

Given the rules and guidelines that busineses have to adhere to - passed down by the very same people whose own books are subjected to secrecy - I find it inredible that there are not mass prosecutions and a lot of jail time being served. After all, if the books are not in order, then people can lose their businesses, be prosecuted and lose everything. The same rules MUST apply across the board.

I am quite sure though that any deep audit and subsequent investigations, if run under the same rules the governments apply to others, would have the politicians and financiers under lock and key for the rest of their lives.

As tax payers, they are accountable to US, something they seem to have forgotten, and as a hard working tax payer, I want to know where my money is going and if it is being used in accordance with the laws of the land and in a fruitful manner. Until such time as apathetic dumbed down sheep wake up to this though, I fear they will just carry on fleecing us all.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
So i guess my first question is why not use a "White House Petition" to draw national attention to it? Assuming there isn't one already. And assuming you don't want any 'accidents' to happen to you in the near future.

Frankly i wouldn't care if they really were using the money for crazy advanced black ops tech to fight the alien hordes beneath the sea or whatever variant of the "theory" you wanna put forward. Sadly they are probably just wasting it like any other person would.

Let's hope for mad scientists playing God and may we live in interesting times.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Seems to be a clear cut case of domestic financial terrorism and with the Potus as Commander in Chief ... well the buck literally stops with him!

Personal Disclosure: Time for all US soldiers to deeply consider acting on THEIR OATHS to the Constitution of the USA [not incorporated].

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Obama? Really? Hehe..

That makes no bloody sense! The DoD doesn't care about Obama, he is just the sock puppet we switch out every few years when it gets worn (see the aging in his face over the years?) This is why they have levels of security that go beyond the President.

How much of that money do you think went here? Private Security
edit on 22-1-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Are you trying to convince US Soldiers to turn to violent action against their government because their bosses have been pocketing money that could help better protect their lives and support their families knowing that they would just be used as fodder to ensure that those who stole the money from them in the first place will remain in power?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
B.S. alert, anything is possible to audit. They just want you to think that. So People want start to demanding it. DUH!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Do you really think they want to be able to be audited? Sure no body does but they are going to go with the "its better to have secrets so our enemies don't know what we are doing or have".

Lets be honest with ourselves; the government will never be in full disclosure with us. Part of me understands, and excepts that but part of me wishes for full disclosure too. As time progresses we will continue to know less and less about what the governemnt has and does not have. I have come to terms with that as long as they DO NOT TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHTS. Like the Patriot act did and what they are trying to do wiht the gun ban.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Are you trying to convince US Soldiers to turn to violent action against their government because their bosses have been pocketing money that could help better protect their lives and support their families knowing that they would just be used as fodder to ensure that those who stole the money from them in the first place will remain in power?

Hmmm... I think that may be a run on sentence...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is nothing surprising. The government is held to a different standard in their eyes to the public. Its sad really that the public doesn't recognize that the government is destroying the very country that they proudly love and celebrate.

I bet that most of that money went to private security firms like Blackrock anyways. Its not like they need all that money to fund all the wars that we are currently engaged in and it certainly isn't going to pay our troops for fighting these wars.

I used to think it was extremely sad while I was enlisted in the army and we were paid so low that a soldier could qualify for food stamps in addition to their government check. Yet we give hundreds of billions of dollars to companies like Blackrock so that they can pay their employees 6 digit salaries to do things like drive a bus around a F.O.B. in Iraq.

join