It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowpocalypse Russia: Snow Tsunami swallows cars, streets, buildings (Photos)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Rezlooper

Lmao, is that a bottle of whiskey stuck in the snow?

Well, it is Russia and they gotta stay warm. Probably Vodka though, in a dark bottle.

Naah, its whiskey.. You can tell the bottle is clear, look at the top, near the cap.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Interesting and kind of a fun story, Rezlooper!!!

That bottle in the first photo made me think, what could it be? Not vodka, because you can clearly see it is in a clear bottle. So, anyway, I was curious as to some of the top alcoholic drinks in Russia,

I think it quite possibly could be:

Medovukha (Russian: Медовуха or Lithuanian: Midus) is a Slavic honey-based alcoholic beverage very similar to mead but cheaper and faster to make

This Link shows a bottle, that if partially drank, looks a lot like the one in your picture. Hey, you learn something new every day!!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
We have 24 hour rolling news coverage of a few inches of snow here in the uk. With people
being warned they face certain death by stepping out of their front doors
I wonder
how sky news and the daily mail would react to 10 feet of snow on the ground....

I thought I saw your storm was forecasting 12 inches...how much did you get or are you getting?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItDepends

Interesting and kind of a fun story, Rezlooper!!!

That bottle in the first photo made me think, what could it be? Not vodka, because you can clearly see it is in a clear bottle. So, anyway, I was curious as to some of the top alcoholic drinks in Russia,

I think it quite possibly could be:

Medovukha (Russian: Медовуха or Lithuanian: Midus) is a Slavic honey-based alcoholic beverage very similar to mead but cheaper and faster to make

This Link shows a bottle, that if partially drank, looks a lot like the one in your picture. Hey, you learn something new every day!!

Peace!! ID

Good detective work ID, thanks for figuring that one out. It was obviously creating a dilemma for many of us. You solved the big question, what does one hunker down and drink in a 10-foot snowstorm?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ah, gotta love my fellow comrades

They are definitely used to this. I think I saw a video of some guy throwing a giant pot of boiling water off of his balcony and it just turned into steam. I think its the cold that's worse, the snow.. Pish posh

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Considering where I live, the snow, every last snowflake of it, looks like an utter paradise to me. I'd be more than happy to shovel & clear all of that as a trade-off to build snow forts & snow castles with it. My snow village would be epic. OMG, I could have so much fun with that!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
Ah, gotta love my fellow comrades

They are definitely used to this. I think I saw a video of some guy throwing a giant pot of boiling water off of his balcony and it just turned into steam. I think its the cold that's worse, the snow.. Pish posh

I agree with you, living in northern Wisconsin we get our share of wicked winter weather (well, we used to anyways, last two years been very mild) and I always enjoyed the snow but can't stand the cold.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree, there is something just awful about the cold seeping into your bones. Sadly I'm in Vancouver. No snow.. Just rain. Rain rain rain

and on an off topic note, I like the stuff you post. Always a good read.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Source

Croatia just shattered their snowfall record by 8 inches getting 27 inches. The record was 19 inches set 150 years ago. London just got a foot. Mississippi 4 inches and Tokyo 3 inches, which was a major storm for them.

yes it's true, but is not really unusual, we have haevy snow now and then. Seems that the media hype is a bigger issue.
I'll need to go to the pub library to check old papers to refresh my memories, I am absolutely sure that 22 inches of snow in northern parts of Croatia does not make a headline. Few inches more- who cares. It already melted, anyway.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The weather just seems off to me. We've always had good snowfalls in Michigan, but not these past years. My theory is that the major earthquakes (Japan, Tsunami, and Haiti) altered our tilt enough to change our jet streams. Albeit, strange weather for everyone everywhere.

Who knows, but those pics of Russia are amazing!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It's amazing how much crayzier things got sisnc the internet. 5 feet of snow oh well still have to work tomorrow. nowdays 5 inches of snow AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Isn't a snow tsunami called an avalanche?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

Nope!
A Tsunami is:

is a series of water waves caused by the displacement of a large volume of a body of water,

Where as:
An Avalanche is:

is a rapid flow of snow down a slope

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
In the 70s it was called global cooling, in the 90s and early 2000s it was called global warming. Now it's just called global climate change. Well of course the global climate changes! Millions of years ago the earth was 60% hotter than it is now in the time of the dinosaurs. Now it's just making ppl look like fools to support a multi billion dollar industry of green house gas emissions reduction.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
It's amazing how much crayzier things got sisnc the internet. 5 feet of snow oh well still have to work tomorrow. nowdays 5 inches of snow AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I hear you
LOL!

WHen I was younger ( sigh.. a LONG time ago) we lived in San Antonio, Texas for a time. They warned of a winter snow storm coming on the news... as if it were a snowpocalypse. They sent me home from school and closed down businesses. Alerts on the news.. mass hysteria. My parents being from Montana battened down the hatches.. and a dusting of snow came. The news folks were scraping soggy wet snow on TV and attempting to make snowballs. It all melted by the evening.

Snowpocalypses are definitely in the eye of the beholder...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

Originally posted by PsykoOps
That's nothing for russians. They are very well used to this kind of thing. Unlike for example brits who shut down the whole country cause they get 5cm snow. They are not used to it. You notice how it says some flights are delayd, instead of saying cancelled.

The whole country has shut down? Somebody forgot to tell those of us living here! We've been going about our daily business and haven't noticed

We have had no snow at all since about a year ago here.....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
OP thanks for sharing.
I've had the adventure of living through 1-8 foot blizzard and 1-6 foot blizzard.
They were intense and locked down the entire area.
Hoping these folks are dealing ok.

edit on 1/20/2013 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Not a bad little storm. Sounds like life in the Copper Country.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd

No, that's called an avalanche, j/k - I just used the title of the news article. Don't shoot the messenger.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

It's Russia so it could be aftershave. It doesn't look dark enough to be kvass, looks like whiskey to me. Apparently whiskey is gaining popularity there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join