It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's robot begins 1st satellite refuelling job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

The Canadian-built robot handyman aboard the International Space Station is attempting to demonstrate for the first time that a machine can carry out the delicate task of refuelling a satellite in orbit.

Throughout the process Dextre will be attached to the end of Canadarm2, the robotic arm outside the ISS that helps with assembly and maintenance.

Full Article

This is the first Ive heard of this, I didn't even know that satellites used fuel

I find this to be a fascinating piece of engineering and thought I would share with ATSer's

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
WOW this thing is huge ...

the 3.65-metre tall robot, with a mass of 1,560 kilograms, started the first of what's expected to be a five-day mission to demonstrate how a satellite can be safely refuelled.

that's 3440 lbs / almost 12 feet tall , and that is to put in less tham 2 liters of the fuel.
'the mind wobbles'

Refuelling satellites could save millions
"The ability to refuel satellites in space could one day save satellite operators from the significant costs of building and launching new replacement satellites," says the CSA.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well Done Canada!

I hope this works flawlessly..
I too havent heard this before......amazing if it works!....

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks for posting and adding the image. Nice one I must say (I have a hard time posting full images)

Apreciate your Input! I agree that it is pretty large indeed, My guess is that it will have a lot more uses in the future than just to refuel or repair satellites. We'll see.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
the picture i found of canada's robot looks like it has 2 big guns in it's hands, i hope that isn't an indication of its' capabilities!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

Wow!!! thanks Johnny for selecting my thread for discussion, definitely not expecting that one!

I will be listening in for sure (but its my first hockey game I get to watch that evening

I can do both I am sure of it...Ill just call it multitasking

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I found another nice picture and a "plan" of the robot online, I think this is sweet, it looks like its from the Terminator or something
Is it gonna start shooting?

edit on 18-1-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join